TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 25, 2020, 04:30:14 PM
The IT crowd is fantastic. The football one where they end up being get away drivers for an armed robbery. So so funny,
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in.

gallsman

Free trial of Disney+. The Simpsons between Seasons 3 and 9 is finest television ever made.

GetOverTheBar

Don't really watch a lot of TV....Currently downloaded all the last season of Homeland so far ready to watch in one go but got me talking to a friend.

What is the last boxset you watched that you felt had a good or satisfying ending?

I recently watched Game of Thrones and the ending was widely ridiculed, Lost was another which went a bit mad.

Main Street

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 26, 2020, 10:01:53 AM
Don't really watch a lot of TV....Currently downloaded all the last season of Homeland so far ready to watch in one go but got me talking to a friend.

What is the last boxset you watched that you felt had a good or satisfying ending?

I recently watched Game of Thrones and the ending was widely ridiculed, Lost was another which went a bit mad.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (TV series)

lurganblue

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 26, 2020, 10:01:53 AM

This is a good point.  Endings seem to cause people all manner of angst.  Maybe its separation anxiety or something.  I enjoyed the Game of Thrones ending. Breaking bad too. Wouldn't have had much complaint about Sons of Anarchy either... maybe I'm easily pleased. I much prefer a show to at least come to a conclusion rather than be endlessly dragged out or even just axed completely.

Lost was a shambles though.

imtommygunn

As was Dexter. Never has there been a worse ending to a tv show.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 26, 2020, 12:57:17 PM
As was Dexter. Never has there been a worse ending to a tv show.

I'll see your Dexter, and raise you The Prisoner.

GetOverTheBar

The ending of Love/Hate was decent, I loved the series - especially moving on from Aiden Gillen which I didn't think it would recover from.

Felt the last few episodes were overly grim as some of the characters were becoming popular even though they weren't supposed to be so the writers were under pressure to be seen to show that the end was violence in that world. The Pool Cue thing.....lets move on.

GoT wasn't too bad an ending, I mean I thought everyone had to die in the end......Although who ended up on the Iron Throne in the end wasn't really for me. Probably could have ended it slightly better that way.

I never watched it bar an episode or two which I thought was actually alright, but the ending of How I Met Your Mother went down like a lead balloon. Voted one of worst ending series ever.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 26, 2020, 01:06:46 PM
The ending of Love/Hate was decent, I loved the series - especially moving on from Aiden Gillen which I didn't think it would recover from.

Felt the last few episodes were overly grim as some of the characters were becoming popular even though they weren't supposed to be so the writers were under pressure to be seen to show that the end was violence in that world. The Pool Cue thing.....lets move on.

GoT wasn't too bad an ending, I mean I thought everyone had to die in the end......Although who ended up on the Iron Throne in the end wasn't really for me. Probably could have ended it slightly better that way.

I never watched it bar an episode or two which I thought was actually alright, but the ending of How I Met Your Mother went down like a lead balloon. Voted one of worst ending series ever.

Love/Hate was so good, you could have been forgiven to maybe pass over it after the first episode but they rocked right through to the end and yes the characters were grim (if life in the underworld is like that) but i thought the balance was just right
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Apparently the writer(s) lived in the "underworld" for 6 months before the show. One of the best shows ever IMO. Apparently it's all been put on RTE player.

I'm not that familiar with the prisoner. In fairness to Dexter I don't know how you would do a good ending to it the nature of the show.

Solo_run

For anyone who use to like Dragonball Z back in the day there are quite a few new episodes/movies going back to 2013 to catch up on.

JoG2

Anyone been able to get Disney+ on their Virgin TV setup?

screenexile

Was a fan of HIMYM at the start but the ending was horrifically bad like they dragged a whole twenty episodes out of an ending it was f**king stupid!!

Very rarely happy with endings I think shows that go out at the top are the best Gervais did it well 2 series then you're done dragging things on like they do in America only makes things stale.

Bojack Horseman has a very good ending!! Brilliant show!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: screenexile on March 26, 2020, 11:42:25 PM
Was a fan of HIMYM at the start but the ending was horrifically bad like they dragged a whole twenty episodes out of an ending it was f**king stupid!!

Very rarely happy with endings I think shows that go out at the top are the best Gervais did it well 2 series then you're done dragging things on like they do in America only makes things stale.

Bojack Horseman has a very good ending!! Brilliant show!

Ah The Office, a work of genius. Still to this day can watch that show.

Never watched the American one, maybe that's something to look into.

lurganblue

Speaking of comedy show endings, Blackadder was exceptional.