TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Nearly finished S5 Homeland.

Definitely one of the better series.
MWWSI 2017

mrdeeds

The latest season of Walking Dead is top class. Not sure if there are any Southpark fans here but I enjoy it. Credit has to go to the writers for rewriting Wednesday's episode at short notice after the US election result went the other way.

bennydorano

Binge watched Goliath at the weekend. A well worn formula but a great cast & overall a very good show.

tyrone girl

Anyone watching The Missing? Some show

laoislad

Anyone else watch Trollied on Sky 1? I like it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Minder

Quote from: tyrone girl on November 17, 2016, 01:56:20 PM

Thought the first one was really good but this series has too much jumping back and forward in time
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Missing is great, yes a bitta bouncing about with dates but the French actor is outstanding!

Westworld took on a great twist this week
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hardy

Quote from: Minder on November 17, 2016, 10:23:39 PM

Thought the first one was really good but this series has too much jumping back and forward in time

Hugely irritating and for no good reason that contributes to the drama - only trying to be arty-farty. It's gripping, but the story could be told so much better if they concentrated on the core value of drama - i.e. tell the story and don't let the mechanics of the production intrude in and distract from the story. Any seanachaí of the last 100 years anywhere in this country could have told them that. And also could have told them that even the blackest story is improved by the occasional injection of humour.

I'm still riveted by it, though.

mrdeeds

Watched The Grand Tour. I know it got decent reviews but I thought it dragged and was average. A lot of the jokes weren't great.

Dinny Breen

The Expanse on Netflix, a sci-fi thriller series, easy to watch and very bingeable.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on November 18, 2016, 12:54:45 AM
Quote from: Minder on November 17, 2016, 10:23:39 PM

Hugely irritating and for no good reason that contributes to the drama - only trying to be arty-farty. It's gripping, but the story could be told so much better if they concentrated on the core value of drama - i.e. tell the story and don't let the mechanics of the production intrude in and distract from the story. Any seanachaí of the last 100 years anywhere in this country could have told them that. And also could have told them that even the blackest story is improved by the occasional injection of humour.

I'm still riveted by it, though.

I don't think it's trying to be arty farty, that implies being pretentious without substance and this drama has substance. I'd give the drama some leeway, it's different, trying something different and I'd hazard a guess that it's more popular than the 1st series.
I don't mind admitting I got lost and  confused, even right from the beginning when the timelines crossed each other seamlessly, with the 2 girls walking different paths though 2 different periods in time,  without any indication. The only solution I had to sort out the timelines and scenes in my head was to watch the first 4 episodes  a second time, though I could speed through much of it.

Esmarelda

I've just watched Episode 7 of Westworld and it was excellent. Anyone that decided to stop should keep going.

Hardy

Quote from: screenexile on November 08, 2016, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 08, 2016, 11:43:43 AM
Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2016, 02:45:28 PM
Interested to hear any views on Black Mirror on Nextflix... has anybody watched it yet?

Like it.

Watched S3E3 the other night. JESUS CHRIST!

I KNOW!!!!!

Can't believe there hasn't been more talk of it on here I thought it was one of the most amazing pieces of TV I've ever seen!!!

The rest of it is very good but Episode 3 is just head and shoulders above any of the other episodes of it.

Just watched it. Heart-thumping stuff. A very simple story but amazing and horrifying.

Harold Disgracey

Watched it today as well, excellent.

I'm currently housebound so I also watched the first 5 episodes of Narcos.

muppet

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 24, 2016, 09:05:21 PM
Watched it today as well, excellent.

I'm currently housebound so I also watched the first 5 episodes of Narcos.

I am jealous.

If I am ever unfortunate enough to suffer memory loss, please put on Breaking Bad for me, over and over.
MWWSI 2017