TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

On the other hand, this is what somebody else thinks.

The spinoff is entirely its own creature, a slow-burning show that's much more concerned with the finer details that create the mosaic of the series. Better Call Saul is woven with subtle nods and the intricate symbolism of its lead character's moral quandary, making it one of the richest and smartest character dramas on television. We already know where Jimmy eventually ends up, but as Better Call Saul charts his path deeper into corruption, Gilligan's spinoff is only bound to get more addictive.

I agree that this is probably what they're trying to do, but I don't think it's going to make make the series "more addictive". It was the pace, tension, humour and unpredictability that made it addictive.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on April 01, 2016, 10:02:06 AM
What the hell has gone wrong with Better Call Saul?

Gone are the inventive plot lines, tension-filled situations, unanticipated resolutions and the pace. Even the humour. They appear to have lost the plot, so to speak. There seem to be only two stories going on, one of them boring shite about the career trajectories of two lawyers and the other not going anywhere.
It has indeed gone downhill.
I thought BCS was supposed to be about how Jimmy ended up finding his true vocation as Saul. One season's worth of a good plot about an intriguing character, superbly acted.
Sub plot about Mike, solid reformed with a veteran law man's ethics,  compromises his morals for self gain and is now on the slippery slope to become the henchman he was in BB.
However, during S1 they got funding for a second season and now for a third season, so they have to make up stuff, bring in other plots (hector)  and milk out parts of the main plot to slow down the story.

Canalman

Have to say the tv programmes and documentaries recently about the 1916 rising were excellent viewing.

muppet

Gone are the inventive plot lines, tension-filled situations, unanticipated resolutions and the pace. Even the humour. They appear to have lost the plot, so to speak. There seem to be only two stories going on, one of them boring shite about the career trajectories of two lawyers and the other not going anywhere.

Have to say I am really enjoying it. The 'squat cobbler' will become classic TV in time. Mike is a bit lost but I used to feel Jesse was lost and found a lot in BB. Same with Hank.
MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

Quote from: muppet on April 02, 2016, 12:46:15 AM

Have to say I am really enjoying it. The 'squat cobbler' will become classic TV in time. Mike is a bit lost but I used to feel Jesse was lost and found a lot in BB. Same with Hank.

Me too, just after watching the latest and there is something really enjoyable about the show as a whole that I don't get from any other.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

laoislad

Finished 11.22.63 last night. I really enjoyed it. There was only the 8 episodes but it was very good imo.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Walking dead finale anyone?
Last 10 minutes were some craic! I like the cut of Neegans jib...

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on April 06, 2016, 09:26:57 AM
I'm 3 episodes behind...say nothing!!!!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lurganblue

he seems a great character for the show. i was a little disappointed with the finale overall

AZOffaly

Anyone watching/watched Spooks on Netflix? I'm in Season 4 at the moment. The first and second seasons were good, the third was a bit weak I thought, with crazy plotlines at the end to ****Spoiler Alert ********* remove three of the main characters.  The fourth series is a bit of a rebirth and is quite good. What does anyone else think of it? Have ye watched it through?

nrico2006

Quote from: laoislad on April 06, 2016, 09:32:09 AM
I'm 3 episodes behind...say nothing!!!!

Well nothing really happens at the end to be honest, poor finish to the season.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mrdeeds

Walking dead final episode could have just being 45mins. The hour and a half episode dragges it out. Good last 10 mins.

lurganblue

Quote from: laoislad on April 06, 2016, 09:23:10 AM
Finished 11.22.63 last night. I really enjoyed it. There was only the 8 episodes but it was very good imo.

I've the book ordered off Amazon there to get it read before i start watching the show.  It looks really good

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 06, 2016, 09:59:45 AM
Anyone watching/watched Spooks on Netflix? I'm in Season 4 at the moment. The first and second seasons were good, the third was a bit weak I thought, with crazy plotlines at the end to ****Spoiler Alert ********* remove three of the main characters.  The fourth series is a bit of a rebirth and is quite good. What does anyone else think of it? Have ye watched it through?
Up here in Britain it was shown on BBC. Like yourself I enjoyed it and would agree there are peaks and troughs but me and the missus watched all of it. There is also a Spooks movie - very much like a TV movie rather than a Hollywood epic.

themac_23

Streamed the last episode of American Crime Story last night, really enjoyed it. think it portrayed the whole saga well and showed what a crazy circus the whole trial was. it also reflected the powder keg that LA was at the time. I see they've commissioned a 2nd series, dont know what it will be focusing on but itll be hard to top this. very enjoyable with a star studded cast who brought their A game.