TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 21, 2016, 12:14:48 PM
Almost finished the first season Of Friday Night lights and have been pleasantly surprised by how good it it.
One of the most enjoyable TV series I have watched, some great characters and really well put together.

Great show. It's much more about small town life in Texas than it is about football. Dips a bit in last couple of seasons in my opinion but very good all the same.

Clear eyes, full hearts. Can't lose.

lurganblue

Quote from: gallsman on March 21, 2016, 12:57:35 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 21, 2016, 12:14:48 PM
Almost finished the first season Of Friday Night lights and have been pleasantly surprised by how good it it.
One of the most enjoyable TV series I have watched, some great characters and really well put together.

Great show. It's much more about small town life in Texas than it is about football. Dips a bit in last couple of seasons in my opinion but very good all the same.

Clear eyes, full hearts. Can't lose.

Watched about a season and a half of this (maybe 2), enjoyed the first season but lost interest a little.  Got the feeling i was too old to be watching it  :P

Hardy

I've been enjoying the 1916/War of Independence documentaries.

Revolution In Colour was excellent. I didn't see any publicity for it and just stumbled across it. It's two 45-minute episodes covering 1909 to the civil war with colour (colourised, I think) footage from the period. The footage is really what it's all about - the story is the one we all know, simply related - but nearly all the footage is stuff I hadn't seen before, which I found very surprising. Really interesting - it's on the TV3 Player.

I'm enjoying Insurrection (RTE 1, nightly, late). It's a combination of very advanced stuff for 1966 (the rising told from a contemporary TV studio setting, with very good acting by Ray McAnally) and otherwise hammy, amateurish acting and staging. Shouldn't be missed.

I'm looking forward to The Enemy Files (RTE1 9:35 tonight) - Michael Portillo on the rising from the perspective of British files and documents.

laoislad

Revolution in colour was indeed excellent. The footage was amazing.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hardy on March 21, 2016, 01:45:17 PM
I'm looking forward to The Enemy Files (RTE1 9:35 tonight) - Michael Portillo on the rising from the perspective of British files and documents.

Watch Cross Rangers on the BBC and Portillo on the +1.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lurganblue

Quote from: screenexile on February 15, 2016, 11:57:01 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 15, 2016, 11:08:29 PM
What about Vinyl on Sky Atlantic ?

Excellent start to the show!! Great music an intriguing storyline and a few bombs way out of left field.

Ray Romano getting a bit darker too freaked the shit out of me!!!

Loving Vinyl at the minute! Some great storylines in it.  The music is top class too (hope there will be a soundtrack album released).
Are the band in it "The Nasty Bits" supposed to be based on the sex pistols?

nrico2006

Very tempted to watch Vinyl to see the most beautiful woman in the world operate.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lurganblue

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 22, 2016, 04:10:17 PM
Very tempted to watch Vinyl to see the most beautiful woman in the world operate.

If that's Olivia Wilde, she is looking well.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: lurganblue on March 22, 2016, 03:35:34 PM

Excellent start to the show!! Great music an intriguing storyline and a few bombs way out of left field.

Loving Vinyl at the minute! Some great storylines in it.  The music is top class too (hope there will be a soundtrack album released).

I believe it's supposed to be based on a little known band named Bored Stiff

You can tell by the way he (the lead singer) acts that apple didn't fall far from Mick Jagger's tree

lurganblue

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 22, 2016, 04:34:53 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 22, 2016, 03:35:34 PM

I believe it's supposed to be based on a little known band named Bored Stiff

You can tell by the way he (the lead singer) acts that apple didn't fall far from Mick Jagger's tree

Believe he was in a band himself before taking up the acting

screenexile

Quote from: lurganblue on March 22, 2016, 04:16:03 PM

Jaysus lads did we watch last nights episode!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

lurganblue

Quote from: screenexile on March 23, 2016, 11:50:52 AM

Jaysus lads did we watch last nights episode!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Did surely!  ;D ;D saw a right bit of Olivia last night.

screenexile

Anybody watching The Night Manager on BBC??

Great cast, very well acted and a great storyline. I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends next week!

nrico2006

Quote from: lurganblue on March 23, 2016, 11:54:43 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 23, 2016, 11:50:52 AM

Did surely!  ;D ;D saw a right bit of Olivia last night.

I had seen the pics the other day, unbelievable.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.