TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Canalman

Sat down last night and watched a 3 part documentary  on the Vietnam War on the Documentary channel. Excellent.

bennydorano

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 30, 2015, 04:57:05 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 30, 2015, 03:08:49 PM
Downloaded the Boxset of 1992 from Sky Arts, an Italian Political Corruption drama, 3 (from 10) Episodes in and it's a very good show so far with plenty of potential.

Yep, good show - very cynical, quite sad.
Finished already, loved it. Start of a Trilogy apparently. Italian drama (backed by Sky £££) must be the next big thing. Gomarra Series 2 due in the Spring as well.

I've been on the look out for Romanzo Criminale for a while, Sky have had the Series 2 Boxset available for an age but no sign of Series 1.

leenie

It probably has been mentioned but this is England '86, '88 and 90 are brilliant .. Only watched them recently and was so impressed with them. And they are all available on channel 4 on demand.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

nrico2006

Quote from: leenie on November 02, 2015, 10:37:48 PM
It probably has been mentioned but this is England '86, '88 and 90 are brilliant .. Only watched them recently and was so impressed with them. And they are all available on channel 4 on demand.

Never watched any of them and know little about them to be honest but might give them a go.

Anybody watched Mr Robot yet?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bennydorano

The Leftover Series 2 - I dunno afuck what's going on half the time but it's compulsive viewing now, Series one was ok not great and I sorta dipped in and out of it.

JimStynes

Im up to episode 4 of Mr Robot. Still undecided as to whether I like it or not. A bit strange at times but I want to watch on to see what happens.

straightred

Quote from: Main Street on November 01, 2015, 01:52:49 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 31, 2015, 11:36:10 PM
Always been meaning to try Friday Night Lights and never got round to it. Good show then?
It's an excellent tv drama. Once you start watching it you will quickly find out if you like it or not.
And if you like it, you will watch it right through all the seasons.
if you don't like it, you won't bother.
There is no duplicity.

Its excellent. I used to wonder if i was too old to be watching something based around a high school football team but there's much more to than that. Great book as well by the way but the book has nothing to do with the TV series (the book and FNL the movie go together) 

Syferus

Quote from: JimStynes on November 03, 2015, 11:00:43 PM
Im up to episode 4 of Mr Robot. Still undecided as to whether I like it or not. A bit strange at times but I want to watch on to see what happens.

It's fantastic. Best show of the year by some distance. The first tv show or film to actually deal with the real intracties of software programming, not bullshît mumbo-jumbo.

I get a kick out of that because I do it for a living but as a show and as a character piece it is fantastic outside its success in being both authentic and engaging in dealing with computing. It's shot beautifully too and the score is excellent.

bennydorano

Quote from: bennydorano on November 03, 2015, 06:41:16 PM
The Leftover Series 2 - I dunno afuck what's going on half the time but it's compulsive viewing now, Series one was ok not great and I sorta dipped in and out of it.
My new favourite show

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on November 01, 2015, 06:40:00 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 01, 2015, 04:13:25 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 01, 2015, 09:16:58 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 31, 2015, 10:46:30 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 30, 2015, 10:41:44 PM
Quirky by numbers IMO.
What does "Quirky by numbers" mean?
Formulaic
It's  a north dakota noir, black humour genre, the plots are complicated and it's out of the box inventive  with script, characters, editing.
Fargo will not be to everybody's taste but formulaic it ain't.
And also coming after the season one, this second season is an unformulaic as you can get, it's a new departure.

Can you expand on the new departure, MS?

So far, it hasn't hooked me like the first series. I think it's the same thing that it usually is when I don't take to a piece of fiction - lack of identification with the characters. I don't find myself caring too much about any of them so far. The Jesse Plemons character is presumably the main protagonist on the dark side - the Lester Nygaard/Jerry Lundegaard. Those other two got you on their side straight off, but not this guy for me. Maybe it's the actor. He's a bit wooden, just as he was in Breaking Bad.

But it's still entertaining and it's early days.
The first season was much more surreal,  it went to the  extremes of its 'Fargoness' in it's opening episode and carried it through and that's why possibly it's more memorable, why the characters  depicted by Freeman, Tolman and Billy Bob are indelibly imprinted on the memory. 
The second season started off less surreal, more deliberate, at a slower pace and  that would be the departure I'm referring to. They just didn't decide to carry on with S1 themes but started from scratch again, with an inventiveness.  And the cops are much smarter in S2  :)
Let us know after episode 5 how you think it's shaping up.

BenDover

thanks to this thread - The Walking Dead has taken over all my free time, a good show but I'm looking fwd to getting to the end so I can get a proper nights sleep.

laoislad

Quote from: BenDover on November 17, 2015, 08:09:29 AM
thanks to this thread - The Walking Dead has taken over all my free time, a good show but I'm looking fwd to getting to the end so I can get a proper nights sleep.
How far are you in?
You'll have to watch Fear the Walking Dead next.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

nrico2006

Quote from: bennydorano on November 16, 2015, 11:41:09 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 03, 2015, 06:41:16 PM
My new favourite show

I have enjoyed Season 2 so far more than I did Season 1, been very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on November 04, 2015, 01:18:54 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 03, 2015, 11:00:43 PM

It's fantastic. Best show of the year by some distance. The first tv show or film to actually deal with the real intracties of software programming, not bullshît mumbo-jumbo.

I get a kick out of that because I do it for a living but as a show and as a character piece it is fantastic outside its success in being both authentic and engaging in dealing with computing. It's shot beautifully too and the score is excellent.

Finished it last night. It's superb and just has so many different and great influences running through it. Binge watched it in 2 nights there so I am walking around like a zombie thinking evilcorp is gonna get me at some stage.

I won't talk too much about the influences as they could give away a fair bit of plotline but the acting, dialogue, the story the score everything about it is sharp definitely one to watch!!