TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Main Street

JoG2

3 episodes into season 1 of Friday Night Lights. Have been meaning to watch it for a while.   Superb TV

JimStynes

Always been meaning to try Friday Night Lights and never got round to it. Good show then?

Started homeland again and it is class! Went through a bit of a shit spell around the start of season 3 and I stopped watching it. Started up again and it got better and better. Saying that season 5 has started a bit slow but only 2 episodes in.

Main Street

Quote from: JimStynes on October 31, 2015, 11:36:10 PM
Always been meaning to try Friday Night Lights and never got round to it. Good show then?
It's an excellent tv drama. Once you start watching it you will quickly find out if you like it or not.
And if you like it, you will watch it right through all the seasons.
if you don't like it, you won't bother.
There is no duplicity.

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on November 01, 2015, 09:16:58 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 31, 2015, 10:46:30 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 30, 2015, 10:41:44 PM
Quirky by numbers IMO.
What does "Quirky by numbers" mean?
Formulaic
It's  a north dakota noir, black humour genre, the plots are complicated and it's out of the box inventive  with script, characters, editing.
Fargo will not be to everybody's taste but formulaic it ain't.
And also coming after the season one, this second season is an unformulaic as you can get, it's a new departure.

bennydorano

I think it's very good, but it's Indy formulaic, the similarities in approach to Season 1, the orginal Fargo movie and the general influence of the Coen Brothers are there to be seen.

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on November 01, 2015, 04:13:25 PM
Quirky by numbers IMO.
Formulaic
It's  a north dakota noir, black humour genre, the plots are complicated and it's out of the box inventive  with script, characters, editing.
And also coming after the season one, this second season is an unformulaic as you can get, it's a new departure.

Can you expand on the new departure, MS?

So far, it hasn't hooked me like the first series. I think it's the same thing that it usually is when I don't take to a piece of fiction - lack of identification with the characters. I don't find myself caring too much about any of them so far. The Jesse Plemons character is presumably the main protagonist on the dark side - the Lester Nygaard/Jerry Lundegaard. Those other two got you on their side straight off, but not this guy for me. Maybe it's the actor. He's a bit wooden, just as he was in Breaking Bad.

But it's still entertaining and it's early days.

stiffler

Any decent documentaries on Netflix worth a watch ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on November 01, 2015, 06:40:00 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 01, 2015, 04:13:25 PM
Quirky by numbers IMO.
Formulaic

Can you expand on the new departure, MS?

So far, it hasn't hooked me like the first series. I think it's the same thing that it usually is when I don't take to a piece of fiction - lack of identification with the characters. I don't find myself caring too much about any of them so far. The Jesse Plemons character is presumably the main protagonist on the dark side - the Lester Nygaard/Jerry Lundegaard. Those other two got you on their side straight off, but not this guy for me. Maybe it's the actor. He's a bit wooden, just as he was in Breaking Bad.

But it's still entertaining and it's early days.

He was supposed to be awkward in Breaking Bad though. Was very good in Friday Night Lights.

Two Hands FFS

Anyone watching River which is on BBC1 for the last few weeks. Decent so far

Hardy

Quote from: stiffler on November 01, 2015, 06:56:27 PM

Beware Of Mr Baker - excellent portrait of Ginger Baker (a total shit of a man).
I haven't watched the Keith Richards one yet (Under The Influence) but it's reportedly very good.
Why Planes Vanish is a good marshalling of the facts about flight MH370.
I'm three episodes into Ken Burns's 1990 series The Civil War. Massive detail on every twist and turn from start to finish of the American Civil War.

Minder

Quote from: Hardy on November 01, 2015, 07:16:09 PM

Beware Of Mr Baker - excellent portrait of Ginger Baker (a total shit of a man).
I haven't watched the Keith Richards one yet (Under The Influence) but it's reportedly very good.
I'm three episodes into Ken Burns's 1990 series The Civil War. Massive detail on every twist and turn from start to finish of the American Civil War.

It is outstanding
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JimStynes

Quote from: Minder on November 01, 2015, 08:12:30 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 01, 2015, 07:16:09 PM

It is outstanding

Heard nothing but great reviews! Some day I will get stuck into it.