TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: gallsman on October 07, 2015, 12:00:19 PM
Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on October 07, 2015, 11:24:45 AM
Quote from: gallsman on October 07, 2015, 11:09:15 AM
Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on October 07, 2015, 10:51:58 AM
Recently started to re-watch Friday Night Lights... Lovin every bit of it. Don't know many series that have such "re-play value"

Dips a good bit in the later seasons in my opinion. The first few are great however and really capture the feel of the book.

That was always my feelin on it too, but the 4th series was better than I gave it credit for, Matt's story line with his dad an that was great, but it was always going to be tough introducing a new cast and that. Coach Taylor always kept the hole thing tickin over

Clear eyes, full hearts...

... and 10years from now, good friends livin' large in Texas. Texas Forever Street.
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

Rois

Recently started to re-watch Friday Night Lights... Lovin every bit of it. Don't know many series that have such "re-play value"
Loved it - watched it all quite recently before a trip to Texas last month.  Taught me a bit about American Football too!

bridgegael

watched the pilot of Ballers on sunday past. enjoyed it,  watched them up to date last night. good show
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

themac_23

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on October 07, 2015, 12:03:09 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 07, 2015, 12:00:19 PM
Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on October 07, 2015, 11:24:45 AM
Quote from: gallsman on October 07, 2015, 11:09:15 AM

Dips a good bit in the later seasons in my opinion. The first few are great however and really capture the feel of the book.

That was always my feelin on it too, but the 4th series was better than I gave it credit for, Matt's story line with his dad an that was great, but it was always going to be tough introducing a new cast and that. Coach Taylor always kept the hole thing tickin over

Clear eyes, full hearts...

... and 10years from now, good friends livin' large in Texas. Texas Forever Street.

Riggins is class, to be fair he wasn't too bad in True Detective either but i was constantly waiting on Billy coming round the corner and f*cking something up for Riggins and Colin Farrell lol.

nrico2006

Gotham is one of the few shows I gave up on, but in hindsight I maybe wish I didn't.

The first episode in season 2 of The Leftovers was very good.  Wasn't sure where they could go after season 1 but they have well and truly freshened things up.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

WT4E

Someone had a debate with me the other day about which was better Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad - I couldn't believe there was even an argument. I like both but one is clearly far superior to the other!!!!

thewobbler

Sons of Anarchy is the only show I've ever invested significant time into, that I then gave up on.

Series 1 was bright and entertaining, apart from having to suspend your belief that it's possible to spray machine gun fire on a group of people, and not kill any of them, as long they can duck behind dustbins or fallen Harleys.

Series 2 was an indicator of what was to come: they didn't have a plausible plot line to make this series a a long-burner, so they didn't try. Instead the various gangs and police forces began playing out a constant rotation of "enemies one week, allies the next", with no obvious reason for the continual double-crossing, double-double-crossing, and double-triple-double-crossing. This was then mirrored in the internal strife within SAMCRO. But what was most disturbing about S2, was that the creators became convinced that every episode should contain at least one utterly gruesome scene. Now I've no queasy disposition, but by the time this ever-increasing shockgfest got to series 4, I was looking away too often.

Series 3, set in Belfast, genuinely hammered home how shit the show was. Forget the dodgy acting, the utterly bizarre plot-arc of Jax's son, and the occasional "now, where the f**k in Ireland would you see a place like that?" sets, the absolutely ridiculous series of goings-on without recrimination in Charming, California could sort of be given a pass up to now, as it's not a place you are likely to visit, and therefore understand. Maybe, just maybe, the police and feds are just dumb as f**k, and that brainwashed, drunken gangsters can devise long-cons that then take a couple of years to play out according to their dastardly plan. But when the same rubbish cowboys and indians routine is played out in NI, you can only laugh for so long before you yawn.

I ploughed through Series 4, although by this stage there was so much featuring of Jax's one-dimensional mum in every episode, it was almost impossible to watch. The humour and gentle nods of series 1 just don't exist anymore.

The school shooting in S5 was the final straw. Though I did tune into the final episode or two of S7, just to watch the end of some of those c***ts that had annoyed me so much for a few months of life.

Hateful series.

nrico2006

Quote from: WT4E on October 07, 2015, 01:37:11 PM
Someone had a debate with me the other day about which was better Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad - I couldn't believe there was even an argument. I like both but one is clearly far superior to the other!!!!

Breaking Bad was brilliant, never saw Sons of Anarchy.  Hard to pick a favourite all-time show though.  Last Winter I watched Breaking Bad and Dexter and to be honest I can't separate them.  I would also struggle to put either of them ahead of Lost, Game of Thrones or 24.  The Sopranos would be behind these shows though for me.  At the minute I think Ray Donovan is brilliant and although not an all-time great, I really love Person Of Interest too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Sons of Anarchy up to the series "based in Ireland" was class. Have not gone back since that series............... intend to do so as I just think the accents and in particular the outdoor scenes trying to pass off as being in Ireland annoyed me too much and clouded my judgement.  Based on a Shakespeare play.

Finished S1 of the Boss. Great show. Mayor Tom Kane some operator.

Anyone watched Bates Motel?

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 07, 2015, 02:04:08 PM
Quote from: WT4E on October 07, 2015, 01:37:11 PM

Breaking Bad was brilliant, never saw Sons of Anarchy.  Hard to pick a favourite all-time show though.  Last Winter I watched Breaking Bad and Dexter and to be honest I can't separate them.  I would also struggle to put either of them ahead of Lost, Game of Thrones or 24.  The Sopranos would be behind these shows though for me.  At the minute I think Ray Donovan is brilliant and although not an all-time great, I really love Person Of Interest too.

If I had to pick my favourite 'boxsets' of recent years:

Very top:
Deadwood
Breaking Bad
Sopranos
Vikings
Dexter
The Wire
Banshee
Boardwalk Empire

Then:
Ray Donovan
Hell on Wheels
Narcos
Game of Thrones
Blacklist
Boston Legal
Ballers
House of Cards
Sherlock
Justified
Better Call Saul
Fargo
Arrested Development
Modern Family

Looking at the list, a: TV is king and b: I probably need more sleep on a regular basis

WT4E

I too had annoyances with SOA for most of what was pointed out but forgiving the irish thing and the unbelievable murder rate in charming overall I liked it.

I really liked the Hamlet theme but knowing that it had sort of gave away the ending!

lickthem

I would advise any of you that have not watched The Shield to give it a go.

In my opinion its the Daddy of them all. Some of the others in the list above are excellent as well but the Shield is class.

themac_23

Quote from: lickthem on October 07, 2015, 04:26:43 PM

In my opinion its the Daddy of them all. Some of the others in the list above are excellent as well but the Shield is class.

agreed, Vic Mackie is class, also how it all pulls together is top drawer, really surprised it doesn't get more recognition

muppet

Feck I didn't know there was such a series. I had read the book, on the recommendation of someone here, and thought it was excellent.
MWWSI 2017

JoG2

Quote from: lickthem on October 07, 2015, 04:26:43 PM

Good man.  Will give it rattle during the long long long winter