TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: gallsman on August 11, 2015, 05:20:14 PM
True Detective 2 consigned to history, thank God. Such a letdown after the first season.

Good, and funny, summary of plot up until start of Ep 8 here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

It loved itself a bit much and the plot was nearly too complicated but there was something I liked about it. Vaughan and McAdams switching things up was refreshing and they're great actors, some of the scenes were epic as well. Id give it a 6.5/10... Lots of room for improvement but watchable.

bennydorano

Slightly disappointed with the last episode but overall I loved series 2, thought it much superior to the 1st.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on August 11, 2015, 10:52:42 PM
Slightly disappointed with the last episode but overall I loved series 2, thought it much superior to the 1st.
I think a lot of people have been unduly hard on it. I preferred the first but I think the second was a good un too. I would like to see Farrell and Vaughn making some decent films now.

Milltown Row2

Seen trailer for season 5 of Homeland... Looks great, coming out in the Autumn I think
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 11, 2015, 11:23:00 PM
I think a lot of people have been unduly hard on it. I preferred the first but I think the second was a good un too. I would like to see Farrell and Vaughn making some decent films now.

I thought it was absolutely shite. The writing was all over the place, what "plot" existed was ridiculously over convoluted and the characters themselves were boring as hell.

Syferus

It has to be one of the bleakest endings to a TV series I've ever seen. That ending highlights to me just how much you want a conventional ending where the 'good' guys win or there's some sense of enlightenment. It was a very brave way to end a story in fairness.

reddgnhand

Just finished watching "The Wire" really enjoyed it although the dialect was hard to follow at times.

bennydorano

Quote from: Syferus on August 12, 2015, 12:19:37 AM

It has to be one of the bleakest endings to a TV series I've ever seen. That ending highlights to me just how much you want a conventional ending where the 'good' guys win or there's some sense of enlightenment. It was a very brave way to end a story in fairness.
I normally am very detached when watching shows like this were you know it's rarely gonna end well for the main protagonists, but I so wanted V.V to make it and the only main character who made it was the one who annoyed the shite out of me.

bennydorano

Off work this week & have the first 2 series of Banshee downloaded, i dunno what to make of it tbh. It's a bit rednecky for my taste i think, some A team traits and ridiculous fight scences - the one i watched last nite was like Peter & the Rooster outa family guy. Lots of random riding too.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: bennydorano on August 12, 2015, 11:01:45 AM
Off work this week & have the first 2 series of Banshee downloaded, i dunno what to make of it tbh. It's a bit rednecky for my taste i think, some A team traits and ridiculous fight scences - the one i watched last nite was like Peter & the Rooster outa family guy. Lots of random riding too.

you say this like its a bad thing  :)

I too thought True Detective 2 wasn't a patch on the first series. Hard to make them out at times, v hard to follow.  Wifey was askin me questions throughout last episode as she gave up on it, my response every fcukin time was "dunno" :-[

Denn Forever

Does anyone else find it difficult to hear the Dialogue when the |Holmes character speaks?  All the rest are fine.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

screenexile

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 12, 2015, 11:14:43 AM

I too thought True Detective 2 wasn't a patch on the first series. Hard to make them out at times, v hard to follow.  Wifey was askin me questions throughout last episode as she gave up on it, my response every fcukin time was "dunno" :-[

Jesus I had that crap too!!! It's complicated enough for me to get my head around let alone try and get the missus to try and understand it!!!

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: screenexile on August 12, 2015, 12:10:44 PM

Jesus I had that crap too!!! It's complicated enough for me to get my head around let alone try and get the missus to try and understand it!!!

lol; to be fair its normally the other way around with us; that's why I was a bit disappointed when herself gave up on it! My understanding of it was passed on in about two sentences, with every question I was thinking "ive been watchin this guff for 8weeks, and I don't know sh1t"  :D

nrico2006

True Detective season 2 was average enough, with a predictably poor ending.  Not a patch on season 1. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

For those who have watched the final episode.

I turned on the subtitles and it helped to decipher the mumbles. Same with season one where I needed subtitles to understand Rust's strangulated drawl  and what Woody was mumbling through the gobstopper he was rolling around his mouth.
Season 2  showed some promise in ep 2 or ep 3  but didn't deliver much more than a superficial portrayal of the characters in
I thought the end was entirely appropriate to the story for both characters. Both had inexplicably made foolish decisions but once Colin realised his, he knew clearly what he had to do, whereas indestructable Vince was fatally arrogant to the end.
For Colin it was a hectic, frantic and panic ridden finale, this was  in contrast to his professional competence earlier in the well executed  action scenes. His panic was just about his obsession with his son, who he alone believed to be his son. In the heat of the last car chase, he was tormented trying to get one last message,  what he knew to be his final words to his son, the panic was not about the threat.
Once Colin had spotted transponder (a tad obvious with that glaring blue light beaming out from under the car) he knew his number was up and decided what to do over a few drags of his last fag. There was no option. He decided to protect his son and draw them away so Ani could escape. He had a few bullets. He shot a few of them so they would take no prisoner and then jumped out Butch Cassidy style so they would finish him off and he wouldn't be forced to reveal where Ani and all the case documents were.
He had even dreamed about the woods. It's just that all the images throughout the series were so obvious, clues were left all over the place and little was left to the imagination.
I recorded TD S2 early on a monday morning and it just kept getting later and later in the week when I would actually get round to viewing it.