TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Ballers ep 1 last night. Enjoyed it.

Canalman

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 26, 2015, 11:06:59 AM
Haven't watched season 2 yet, but going by 1 I was expecting another slow burner.

Hannibal episode 3 of season 3 aired the other night, its floating perilously close to getting the boot if it continues to be as bad.

Got the boot  (Hannibal) I heard on the radio during the week.

Odd tv series, hugely flawed,  but I still watched it all and will watch S3 which I am recording.

Anyone here watched  Bates Motel? Worth a watch?

nrico2006

Quote from: Canalman on June 26, 2015, 11:32:11 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 26, 2015, 11:06:59 AM
Haven't watched season 2 yet, but going by 1 I was expecting another slow burner.

Hannibal episode 3 of season 3 aired the other night, its floating perilously close to getting the boot if it continues to be as bad.

Got the boot  (Hannibal) I heard on the radio during the week.

Odd tv series, hugely flawed,  but I still watched it all and will watch S3 which I am recording.

Anyone here watched  Bates Motel? Worth a watch?

Far too many dreamy sequences for me now, dominating the majority of episodes and don't know whats the real 'world' at times.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: gallsman on June 26, 2015, 10:54:30 AM
Are you really reading anything into Colin Farrell playing the whiskey drinking alco cop? (It was Johnnie Walker Blue by the way, I think).
There's probably nothing to  read into the irish actor playing the role of the drunken alco cop, that it  confirms  the institutionalised stereotype image of the drunken Irish, but who knows?  I like observing the use of stereotypes in films, used to get people through various  believability factors via prejudice ( ever watch Dumbo?  the Lion King?).
The believability factor in this episode, was not that Colin was the drunken alco detective,  but  that after speedily polishing off a bottle of  whatever brand whisky (some 28 units), that Colin was good to go  (after a little snooze), looking sober as a sober judge,  to the scene of a crime. I have never drank a bottle of whisky, not even those teeny ones. Maybe someone else could remark  upon the believability factor of that scene?

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on June 26, 2015, 12:11:07 PM
Are you really reading anything into Colin Farrell playing the whiskey drinking alco cop? (It was Johnnie Walker Blue by the way, I think).
There's probably nothing to  read into the irish actor playing the role of the drunken alco cop, that it  confirms  the institutionalised stereotype image of the drunken Irish, but who knows?  I like observing the use of stereotypes in films, used to get people through various  believability factors via prejudice ( ever watch Dumbo?  the Lion King?).
The believability factor in this episode, was not that Colin was the drunken alco detective,  but  that after speedily polishing off a bottle of  whatever brand whisky (some 28 units), that Colin was good to go  (after a little snooze), looking sober as a sober judge,  to the scene of a crime. I have never drank a bottle of whisky, not even those teeny ones. Maybe someone else could remark  upon the believability factor of that scene?

Does the Irish stereotype thing apply saying he's playing an American cop? I wouldn't say he was sober as a judge but I would imagine it's possible to drive a car having had a feed of whiskey!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on June 26, 2015, 12:24:51 PM

Does the Irish stereotype thing apply saying he's playing an American cop? I wouldn't say he was sober as a judge but I would imagine it's possible to drive a car having had a feed of whiskey!
A fella from home once remarked that driving home he was that drunk he couldn't see the white line. He still made it though  :-X

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on June 26, 2015, 12:24:51 PM

Does the Irish stereotype thing apply saying he's playing an American cop?
The institutionalised stereotype image of the drunken Irish,is not restricted to certain occupations
For instance when Robbie Keane as captain of LA galaxy was received in the White House by President Obama, the president could not help himself when referring to Robbie's locker being full to the brim with all sorts of alcohol bottles that there would not be room for another trophy.
That was greeted with much mirth and no one thought any more about it. Imagine the furore if eg  Ropbbie was jew and Obama made some jest about Robbie's attire and joked that he must be investing all his money in Goldman Sachs or too stingy to buy a proper dress for his wife?
That jewish stereotype is not institutionalised.

QuoteI wouldn't say he was sober as a judge but I would imagine it's possible to drive a car having had a feed of whiskey!

I can't  imagine what it it would be like to have drunk so much so fast (about 2/3 of a 1.5l bottle of whisky, plus a few beers), then drive  and appear sober as a judge. Would that not be blackout territory?

The Subbie

Just seen 2nd episode of True Detective, season 2,no spoilers BUT shit just got real.

screenexile

Quote from: The Subbie on June 29, 2015, 12:51:50 PM
Just seen 2nd episode of True Detective, season 2,no spoilers BUT shit just got real.

+1... f**k!!

JimStynes

Couldn't believe it when the aliens landed! Unreal.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: JimStynes on June 29, 2015, 09:14:10 PM

With McConaughey flying the ship no less  :o

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on June 29, 2015, 09:14:10 PM
Use the GoT spoilers thread yis bastids.

general_lee

Orange is the new black is surprisingly good. Just started the second series, similarities with Breaking Bad the way in which the main character develops. Also some female frontal nudity always a pleasant bonus.

Milltown Row2

Just finished watching The Honourable woman... Fantastic, slow burner first couple episodes but by feck its great.... Better more dark than any American/Palestinian/Israeli show I've seen... Plus superbly acted throughout
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: general_lee on June 30, 2015, 09:30:29 AM
Orange is the new black is surprisingly good. Just started the second series, similarities with Breaking Bad the way in which the main character develops. Also some female frontal nudity always a pleasant bonus.

Yeah a good show, but the second series has a huge lull in the middle but it finishes well.
Watched the start of the 3rd series the other night...looks good so far.

Started watching Humans too....not bad so far. The main Synth is some bit of gear!