TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: gallsman on April 05, 2015, 12:15:16 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 02, 2015, 06:50:36 PM
Ive finished season 3 of House of Cards. It's ok just in my opinion. I haven't really been gripped by it or dying to watch to watch the next episode like I have been with other series. Struggling to find a series to really get into at the minute. Just started Deadwood so I will see how I get on with that.

Deadwood is exceptional. As good as the wire or sopranos in my book.

HoC 3 faded badly for me. It's just a White House drama now, which the west wing perfected ten years ago.

I seem to be the only one enjoyed season 3 HOC. I thought it was brilliant. Deadwood is ok. Got bored with it quickly enough.Better call Saul shaping up nice. Still to come across a show that comes near to the sopranos. Best ever by a distance. 

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: charlieTully on April 08, 2015, 12:36:54 AM
Ive finished season 3 of House of Cards. It's ok just in my opinion. I haven't really been gripped by it or dying to watch to watch the next episode like I have been with other series. Struggling to find a series to really get into at the minute. Just started Deadwood so I will see how I get on with that.

HoC 3 faded badly for me. It's just a White House drama now, which the west wing perfected ten years ago.

I seem to be the only one enjoyed season 3 HOC. I thought it was brilliant. Deadwood is ok. Got bored with it quickly enough.Better call Saul shaping up nice. Still to come across a show that comes near to the sopranos. Best ever by a distance.
Did you give the  Wire a go?

gallsman

If you can get bored of Deadwood but enjoy HoC 3,I don't think I can recommend anything. It was just plodding and shite for all but about two episodes. Everything they tried to do this season has already been done better and with more style and wit by the West Wing.

Canalman

Quote from: charlieTully on April 08, 2015, 12:36:54 AM

Deadwood didn't impress me also and gave up after 3 or 4 episodes. Same with Treme .
Deadwood highly rated by many on this thread though.

charlieTully

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2015, 09:29:08 AM
If you can get bored of Deadwood but enjoy HoC 3,I don't think I can recommend anything. It was just plodding and shite for all but about two episodes. Everything they tried to do this season has already been done better and with more style and wit by the West Wing.

I enjoyed the west wing but it was very tame compared to HOC. Have watched the wire thought it was class first couple of seasons. Got a bit ridiculous towards the end.

JoG2

Your wood is dead if you got bored with Deadwood!  Whiskey drinking,  whoring, shooting, fighting and Lovejoy in  a lawless town! Incredible show. Would still say it's my number 1 just ahead of the Sopranos, BB and Vikings. 

gallsman

Quote from: charlieTully on April 08, 2015, 01:27:39 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2015, 09:29:08 AM

I enjoyed the west wing but it was very tame compared to HOC. Have watched the wire thought it was class first couple of seasons. Got a bit ridiculous towards the end.

West Wing is tame compared to HoC in the sense that there are no murders, sex scandals etc. What made HoC really good was Frank's reaction to bring snubbed fuelling his determination to get back at everyone by destroying them and seizing power himself by any means possible. Once he did that and became president, it just became another political drama in my book. One that isn't fit to lace the West Wing's boots.

Tony Baloney

So Fortitude is finished. Thank f**k! :D

Gabriel_Hurl

So the first 5 episodes of the new season of Game of Thrones has been leaked.

Spoilers better not be posted in here.

JimStynes

I must be the only one who thinks game of thrones is a pile of shite!

laoislad

Quote from: JimStynes on April 13, 2015, 08:01:35 AM
No you're not, so do I !
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 13, 2015, 12:50:23 AM
So the first 5 episodes of the new season of Game of Thrones has been leaked.

Spoilers better not be posted in here.

Everyone dies.

clarshack

Quote from: laoislad on April 13, 2015, 08:37:16 AM
No you're not, so do I !

i've never watched it and don't think i ever will now as i wouldnt have the time to catch up on all of the seasons.

when it first came out i was watching too many shows and it was a choice between game of thrones or spartacus. i opted for spartacus.

Hardy

Nope.

Canalman

Watched documentary last night about underground conversions in London. Very interesting. Truth be told the finished cellars didn't look too nice imo anyway.

The prices being quoted for some of the houses in Mayfair etc were absolutely gobsmacking.