TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

I enjoyed the end of Walking Dead last night, but you are right that there was a lot of filler episodes stuffed in there in the second half of the season. 

As for how we get all this time, I am getting to the stage where I am glad when a show finishes up as they take up more time than I have.  It usually leaves me sitting at the TV to half 12 at night trying to catch up.  I watched both Dexter and Breaking Bad over the past few months and there are no other older shows I would ever want to catch up on now, as these were the two along with The Soprano's that I always wanted to see.  But until yesterday I had the 100, Walking Dead, The Following, Blacklist, Gotham, Better Call Saul all on the go with Game of Thrones returning and Person Of Interest also back.  Add in Falling Skies, Hannibal and Ray Donovan which are all due back soon too with the Leftovers and Peaky Blinders among other ones I watch.  I rarely give up on a show but I ditched Fortitude and would nearly do the same with Gotham.  If Falling Skies wasn't on its last season it would go too.  Was watching Revolution too which was good until it was cancelled as well as the one with Sawyer from Lost (Intelligence), Believe, Touch, Mob City and Dracula. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on March 31, 2015, 02:23:50 PM
So The Walking Dead season 5 wrapped up last night. A fairly solid ending with no big obvious cliffhanger but a further story line to develop in next season.

Its been an up and down season, started really fast but slowed down somewhat and I think over the last few weeks has been a lot of filler.

As usual, its still the case of some genuine LOL moments when it comes to escaping or fighting off the zombies. Last night no exception with two in particular that I just laughed at!

Excited about the spinoff series starting in the summer "Fear the walking dead". Set in LA it covers the breakout from completely new and unrelated characters from current cast and is set more of the time of the breakout. Should be interesting and will be completely new rather than loosely based on the comics of Rick and the gang.
Watched it last night. Very good episode. Best show on TV.
Looking forward to the spin off as well.
Also a spin off of Heroes starting soon and a new series of The X files!

Also watching 12 Monkeys which is good.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hound

I somehow never even watched 5 minutes of the West Wing up until recently.

Over the last couple of months I've watched the entire 7 series. Fantastic show, and remarkable how it hasn't dated. Best cast I've ever seen in a TV series, pretty much everyone is great, no weak links.

Have never seen House of Cards, might give that a go next given I hear its a similar theme

Puckoon

Took me two attempts to get into House of Cards. Middle of Season 2 now and it's very enjoyable.

JimStynes

Ive finished season 3 of House of Cards. It's ok just in my opinion. I haven't really been gripped by it or dying to watch to watch the next episode like I have been with other series. Struggling to find a series to really get into at the minute. Just started Deadwood so I will see how I get on with that.

clarshack

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 31, 2015, 02:41:57 PM
Was watching Revolution too which was good until it was cancelled as well

after what season did it get cancelled?. only watched season 1 and always meant to get into season 2.

is there any kind of closure or would it be a waste of time in watching the rest of it?

front of the mountain

Quote from: JimStynes on April 02, 2015, 06:50:36 PM
Ive finished season 3 of House of Cards. It's ok just in my opinion. I haven't really been gripped by it or dying to watch to watch the next episode like I have been with other series. Struggling to find a series to really get into at the minute. Just started Deadwood so I will see how I get on with that.

Same very disappointed in the third series! Enjoying Better Call Saul, it has the potential to surpass Breaking Bad!

nrico2006

Quote from: clarshack on April 03, 2015, 09:50:10 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 31, 2015, 02:41:57 PM
Was watching Revolution too which was good until it was cancelled as well

after what season did it get cancelled?. only watched season 1 and always meant to get into season 2.

is there any kind of closure or would it be a waste of time in watching the rest of it?

It finished after season 2, and I thought season 2 was pretty good as well.  There was no closure, think it was cancelled after filming had been finished. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

Can't wait for Mad Men to come back on again
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

5 Sams

Watching the World at War series made in the 70s at the minute. Mesmerising stuff. Has to be one of the best documentaries ever made. I think there's nearly 30 episodes covering WW2 from the rise of the Nazis until Nueremburg. The episode called "Genocide" is horrific.
The Aristocrat Years

gallsman

Quote from: JimStynes on April 02, 2015, 06:50:36 PM

Deadwood is exceptional. As good as the wire or sopranos in my book.

HoC 3 faded badly for me. It's just a White House drama now, which the west wing perfected ten years ago.

Billys Boots

Would agree with you gallsman about HOC, am halfway through season 3 and I honestly couldn't care less if I never saw another episode - I think the cast are bored with it too.

Am really enjoying 'Better Call Saul'; a fine piece of television - good characterisation and a very different 'feel' to Breaking Bad.

The Italian drama, on Sky, called '1992' is also quite enjoyable - only two episodes so far and is kind of a cross between Mad Men and HOC (in a good way).  Appears to be based on the 1992 political crisis in Italy and based around the lives of 6 or so fictional characters involved in the political and related machinations of the time.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

I've been enjoying BCS, 9 episodes so far, is there much milage left?
We could see how Saul set up his office and did he have some connection with Mike?
In Breaking Bad, I forget exactly where Mike came in, did he do some work for Saul or had he already fully moved to being a part of Gus' fried chicken outlet? And just how did Saul get to know Gus?
Maybe the next series offshoot will be about Mike's story, though that actor is getting on in years.

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come