TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 17, 2014, 10:59:07 AM
Valar Morghulis!

GOT finale didn't disappoint at all... the right mix of major character developments and others getting killed off. As Syferus says the whole landscape is changing now.

Really don't have the time to horse through the books but with the year wait I don't think I can resist starting into them now... Haven't been on a reading oydessey since Stephen King's Dark Tower series - another epic that would be interesting to see developed on film/TV. Couldn't see it touching GOT though.

It did in my opinion! They'd teased the conclusion of the season with a character appearance that didn't come to pass, despite being quite prominent in the books.

The "showdown" scene not as tense as it should have been. Much better in the book.

Be interesting to see what happens now as the fourth book is boring, plodding and, quite frankly, shite with exception of one or two characters.

J OGorman

Quote from: gallsman on June 17, 2014, 01:37:37 PM
Valar Morghulis!

GOT finale didn't disappoint at all... the right mix of major character developments and others getting killed off. As Syferus says the whole landscape is changing now.

Really don't have the time to horse through the books but with the year wait I don't think I can resist starting into them now... Haven't been on a reading oydessey since Stephen King's Dark Tower series - another epic that would be interesting to see developed on film/TV. Couldn't see it touching GOT though.

It did in my opinion! They'd teased the conclusion of the season with a character appearance that didn't come to pass, despite being quite prominent in the books.

The "showdown" scene not as tense as it should have been. Much better in the book.

Be interesting to see what happens now as the fourth book is boring, plodding and, quite frankly, shite with exception of one or two characters.

pack it with riding scenes I'd say

gallsman

Quote from: J OGorman on June 17, 2014, 01:50:07 PM
Valar Morghulis!

One of the new charaters to be introduced should be played by an absolute knockout and is quite frisky, so I'd wholeheartedly endorse this suggestion!

whiskeysteve

Valar Morghulis!

Reading that makes me wonder whether I'm better off reading ahead of the show or not. You have advance knowledge (character appearance?) and that seems to have taken away from the enjoyment of the show? How far into the books would you recommend reading?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: gallsman on June 17, 2014, 01:51:51 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on June 17, 2014, 01:50:07 PM
Valar Morghulis!

One of the new charaters to be introduced should be played by an absolute knockout and is quite frisky, so I'd wholeheartedly endorse this suggestion!

Michelle Keegan has said she would love to get a role in the show, so that could be perfect!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

gallsman

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 17, 2014, 02:03:41 PM
Valar Morghulis!

Reading that makes me wonder whether I'm better off reading ahead of the show or not. You have advance knowledge (character appearance?) and that seems to have taken away from the enjoyment of the show? How far into the books would you recommend reading?

I prefer the books purely because I've read them. To me it's not "advance knowledge", it's merely a matter of waiting for something that I know happens to happen because I know the wider story. The show is starting to diverge slightly from the books though and this worries me, as I fear GRRM may start adapting the plot of the coming books to suit the TV show.

There is a lot (and I mean a lot!) of detail in the books that isn't used/isn't necessary in the TV show, as it wouldn't suit the format. A lot of hints at who characters are and what their role is is told through seemingly minor characters recounting old legends etc, which just wouldn't work on TV. You have to be a bit of a geek to properly enjoy that stuff though and to be able to speculate about what's happening next. For example, most people who read the books will tell you they can make a reasonable effort at working out who Jon Snow's mother is. Same for the character Bran just met in the final episode.

If you're going to read the books, to properly get the "benefit" of them, I'd read from the beginning. It won't ruin the show, more just make you frown a bit. It will be a slog though! The first three books (covered more or less by TV show) are good, fourth is a grind and fifth redeems it somewhat.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: gallsman on June 17, 2014, 02:20:50 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 17, 2014, 02:03:41 PM
Valar Morghulis!

I prefer the books purely because I've read them. To me it's not "advance knowledge", it's merely a matter of waiting for something that I know happens to happen because I know the wider story. The show is starting to diverge slightly from the books though and this worries me, as I fear GRRM may start adapting the plot of the coming books to suit the TV show.

There is a lot (and I mean a lot!) of detail in the books that isn't used/isn't necessary in the TV show, as it wouldn't suit the format. A lot of hints at who characters are and what their role is is told through seemingly minor characters recounting old legends etc, which just wouldn't work on TV. You have to be a bit of a geek to properly enjoy that stuff though and to be able to speculate about what's happening next. For example, most people who read the books will tell you they can make a reasonable effort at working out who Jon Snow's mother is. Same for the character Bran just met in the final episode.

If you're going to read the books, to properly get the "benefit" of them, I'd read from the beginning. It won't ruin the show, more just make you frown a bit. It will be a slog though! The first three books (covered more or less by TV show) are good, fourth is a grind and fifth redeems it somewhat.

Right, happened to be browsing on Google Play on the One M8  ;D and happened to see that the books are on offer for £2 a pop! So had to buy A Game of Thrones there and then, as it's bought on Play I'd say there'll be a fair temptation to lleave it on a window in work!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Canalman

Finished True Detective recently. Very good and nicely confined to 8 episodes. No padding it out with faff about other matters/ peripheral characters. Everything to the point and old fashioned that way in a good way. A bit of mumbling but not too bad. 8/10.

Finished s2 of Borgen also. Not a patch on s1 and won't bother with it anymore. 6/10. S1 by the way is excellent and well worth  a watch.

Billys Boots

Finally finished Breaking Bad this week - great stuff entirely.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BennyHarp

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but just finished watching Fargo which I had taped from on channel 4. Superb series with great performances from Martin Freeman and billy Bob Thornton.
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

It was mentioned earlier alright and I too enjoyed it though I thought it lagged as it went on. I found Freeman extremely annoying initially but that wore off as I accepted he was no William H Macy.

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 17, 2014, 11:13:02 AM

Sadly you are now about to enter a barren TV period.

Just saying'...... :-[
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: muppet on July 17, 2014, 01:46:17 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on July 17, 2014, 11:13:02 AM

Sadly you are now about to enter a barren TV period.

Just saying'...... :-[

I'll just watch all the good ones again ... while I'm waiting for something else worth watching. :)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

screenexile

Orange is the New Black??

I liked Weeds (Well the first few series' anyway) and this is the same woman who made it. It's quite funny and brutal enough at the same time. I think it's quite good, has anyone else ventured to watch it?

Also watched a couple of series of Girls. Very very good show but quite strange!!

Nurse Jackie... exceptional TV show if you haven't started watching it you should!

laoislad

Orange is the New Black is decent enough. Plenty of boobs on show.

Still can't understand lads creaming themselves over Breaking Bad...I thought it was meh..
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.