TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Nearly finished season 3 of The Shield. One of best shows I've watched, flat out from the word go. I love Vic and his team, they don't give a f**k.

CD

Quote from: Minder on December 20, 2013, 10:56:53 PM
Thought Borgen III was very good, but the smarmy English fella annoyed the f**k out of me.

It's in their nature
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Main Street

Quote from: Canalman on November 28, 2013, 12:51:08 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 28, 2013, 09:59:12 AM
Quote from: Canalman on November 28, 2013, 09:36:13 AM
Watched last night the  first couple of episodes of US House of Cards with Kevin Spacey. Excellent so far and on a par with the earlier English version which I also liked.

Dexter S6 so far is enjoyable enough. By right this programme should be dung but it is actually imo very good. Maybe it is Miami summery setting that makes the series.

Dexter is very good and it's hard to understand why - hammy acting, poor characterisation, daft scripts and the annoying background monologue from Dexter.  I've been enthralled since day-one, but Mrs Boots switched off years ago.

Very well put BB. Agree with you totally.
Totally? What about the Julia Styles series then?  Nothing quite matches  the pounding heartbeat of vigilante romance.
Given another series, she would have lovingly chipped chunks of wood from Dexter's character.

ziggy90

Quote from: Main Street on December 05, 2013, 09:34:53 PM
Quote from: CD on December 04, 2013, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 03, 2013, 12:26:23 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 17, 2013, 06:56:32 PM
Generation War tonight on RTE2 looks like it could be very good. Got huge ratings when it was shown in Germany earlier in the year. Subtitle warning for those who don't like foreign shows or movies though.

This is definitely worth a watch and only 3 episodes, all of them still on RTÉ player. It is on the BBC in a few weeks.

Mrs CD and I watched the first instalment of this last night - really enjoyed it. Nicely set up now to see what happens to the five key protagonists. I love the fact that they are all essentially flawed and 3/5 have bought into the Nazi propaganda. The show doesn't attempt to excuse or justify - strongly recommended!
I just finished this mini series last night and rated it very highly but the exceptions sadly bring it down to the gutter.
One of the exceptions was so blatant it destroyed any credibility the series had, and that was the portrayal of the Poles resistance (the AK) as rabid anti semites, afflicted with extreme Jewphobia and any Polish farmer in the series was generally a rabid anti semite and a collaberator with the germans. You'd wonder what perception the german filmmakers or germans in generaL  have of the Polish resistance to Nazi german occupation, but this extreme depiction in the series was so deranged it was beyond belief.
It's almost as if, yes the German were bad but the Polish resistance was worse and the Russians were just pure evil.
Compare to those 2, maybe we were not that bad.

It's not that I expect germans to wearing sackcloth and ashes about WW2, but I'd expect a half way rational account of The Polish resistance.
If you keep in mind that this series is also an exercise in crude revisionism, then it's well worth a look.

Does anyone know the date this is being aired on BBC? I'd appreciate a heads up, cheers.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Main Street

Canalman

Seen Generation War recently. Watchable alright if only for the scenes on the Eastern Front. SPOILER ALERT .....................................................  the Germans lose in the end.

Bit too many convenient coincidences at the end but not a bad show all the same.  6/10.

screenexile

Watched first series of Luther there I got it as a boxset for Christmas ... Great great stuff! Good storylines, great characters and well acted, well worth a watch!!!

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Archie Mitchell

Watched The League and Lilyhammer on Netflix over the holidays. Both very good. Lilyhammer wasn't great first series but 2nd series is great.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 01, 2014, 02:44:19 PM
Watched The League and Lilyhammer on Netflix over the holidays. Both very good. Lilyhammer wasn't great first series but 2nd series is great.
Haven't seen you around these parts much of late.

screenexile

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 01, 2014, 02:44:19 PM

Absolutely love The League... hilarious at times!

Under Lights

Anyone watch Sherlock last night?

J OGorman

J70

Just finished last season of Breaking Bad. Indescribably  good!

Orange is the New Black isn't bad. Netflix are producing some decent stuff.

Under Lights

Quote from: J OGorman on January 02, 2014, 11:31:09 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on January 02, 2014, 11:27:48 AM
Anyone watch Sherlock last night?

SPOILER ALERT! !!! Its very good

I think it's a brilliantly made and thought out show. Plenty of wit in it too.

New Birds Of A Feather and Benidorm on tonight on ITV. BOAF used to be a BBC show I think???