TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on December 05, 2013, 09:34:53 PM
I just finished this mini series last night and rated it very highly but the exceptions sadly bring it down to the gutter.
One of the exceptions was so blatant it destroyed any credibility the series had, and that was the portrayal of the Poles resistance (the AK) as rabid anti semites, afflicted with extreme Jewphobia and any Polish farmer in the series was generally a rabid anti semite and a collaberator with the germans. You'd wonder what perception the german filmmakers or germans in generaL  have of the Polish resistance to Nazi german occupation, but this extreme depiction in the series was so deranged it was beyond belief.
It's almost as if, yes the German were bad but the Polish resistance was worse and the Russians were just pure evil.
Compare to those 2, maybe we were not that bad.

It's not that I expect germans to wearing sackcloth and ashes about WW2, but I'd expect a half way rational account of The Polish resistance.
If you keep in mind that this series is also an exercise in crude revisionism, then it's well worth a look.

I think the comments about Poland are very valid and this series has caused controversy elsewhere. A scenario where the Polish are more anti Jew than the Germans is a very suspect. Also both the army guys killed their superiors, which is not quite typical either. The out and out Gestapo guy working in public for the Americans sounds like a stretch too. Not sure that the Russians portrayal was unfair.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on December 05, 2013, 09:56:40 PM
I just finished this mini series last night and rated it very highly but the exceptions sadly bring it down to the gutter.
One of the exceptions was so blatant it destroyed any credibility the series had, and that was the portrayal of the Poles resistance (the AK) as rabid anti semites, afflicted with extreme Jewphobia and any Polish farmer in the series was generally a rabid anti semite and a collaberator with the germans. You'd wonder what perception the german filmmakers or germans in generaL  have of the Polish resistance to Nazi german occupation, but this extreme depiction in the series was so deranged it was beyond belief.
It's almost as if, yes the German were bad but the Polish resistance was worse and the Russians were just pure evil.

It's not that I expect germans to wearing sackcloth and ashes about WW2, but I'd expect a half way rational account of The Polish resistance.
If you keep in mind that this series is also an exercise in crude revisionism, then it's well worth a look.

I think the comments about Poland are very valid and this series has caused controversy elsewhere. A scenario where the Polish are more anti Jew than the Germans is a very suspect. Also both the army guys killed their superiors, which is not quite typical either. The out and out Gestapo guy working in public for the Americans sounds like a stretch too. Not sure that the Russians portrayal was unfair.
You kinda got the impression that they wanted to get over the message that everybody was Nazi,  that Germans were no more Nazi than everybody else, in fact Germans were more honest and had integrity despite the Nazi taint.  And that they thought to portray the absolute US complicity with such a high profile Nazi SS officer getting a desk job where he would be confronting German citizens that he had previously terrified for 15 years.
The more I think about it, the more I'd say chuck the series into the sewer, it doesn't deserve the privilege to be screened on public service tv.

Billys Boots

Interesting comments lads; appreciated. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ballinaman

Quote from: Main Street on December 05, 2013, 11:43:15 PM

You kinda got the impression that they wanted to get over the message that everybody was Nazi,  that Germans were no more Nazi than everybody else, in fact Germans were more honest and had integrity despite the Nazi taint.  And that they thought to portray the absolute US complicity with such a high profile Nazi SS officer getting a desk job where he would be confronting German citizens that he had previously terrified for 15 years.
The more I think about it, the more I'd say chuck the series into the sewer, it doesn't deserve the privilege to be screened on public service tv.
I'd agree with that, I had a read about it online before seeing it and read how there was outrage in Poland. Seeing as it was made for German TV, couldn't see it portraying themselves as the sum of all evil so I wasn't really surprised by how it panned out. If you are to judge it as a piece of fiction then it was fairly well shot and acted I thought.

CD

Obviously these themes weren't immediately evident in the first part lads - I'm going to watch part 2 over the weekend - I'll be interested to see the treatment of Poles and Ukrainians as it develops. I wasn't aware that the series had been the subject of such criticism. I was just reading about it there - loads of discussion online about this.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

muppet

I know little of the Poles in the 1930s but not too many decades earlier, on this island, both of the main communities had religious leaders, among others, who were vocally anti-semite.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Poland had the biggest Jewish population of any country, as previous Kings had encouraged their arrival and as in subsequent times life there was preferable for Jews compared to Germany or Russia. There was tension there in the 1930s and anti-Semitism to be sure, but only in the ha'penny place compared to Germany. Also in the war Jews were seen as being somewhat pro-Russian, never a good plan in Poland.

So the events like those in the series could have happened, their depiction as the only events in Poland in a 3 part series would be very misleading for anyone without some acquaintance with history.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on December 06, 2013, 08:17:02 PM

I know little of the Poles in the 1930s but not too many decades earlier, on this island, both of the main communities had religious leaders, among others, who were vocally anti-semite.
I don't know what your point is Muppet or what relevance it has to the portrayal of the Polish resistance AK as  murderous rabid anti semites, by the German filmmakers, who claim they were working on some precise historical documents.
Anti Semitism was common right across Europe at that time  but only one country took the decision to exterminate them. And wherever Germany occupied, the rabid anti semites crawled out of their sewer and did the Germans bidding. Germany was responsible for empowering and arming  the anti semite/ ultra fascist movements right across Europe after 1939, in the lands it invaded/occupied and that also included Poland. 
There's no recorded detail of such a train (depicted in the film) being attacked in that way it was and there's no account of Jews being left locked up in the train carriages by the AK.
The so called accurate portrayal claimed by the german filmmakers of the the Polish resistance is a one dimensional poisoned portrayal. That's it, that's the everlasting image you have of Poles, they were murderous anti semites.

On another point,there was a very good account given of partisan activity and german reprisals against the population and the debate amongst the partisans about the morality of their actions, if the consequence was to bring about such payback against their people.
No such debate by the partisans was allowed  in the film for the jewish question, jews were to be murdered on sight. 

Main Street

Perhaps for the recording schedule, there's an interesting looking documentary on Film 4  early Tue morn 1.50am called Benda Bilili.

About the rise to fame of a bunch of elderly musicians who're paraplegic, joining together with a few street kids to form a band and hitch their way up the rocky road to World Music fame.

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on December 06, 2013, 08:17:02 PM

Don't know what you're trying to say there or the relevance either. It's a bizarre inclusion in the thread. A religious leader 100 years ago who was vocally anti-semite? Sure you could probably name a huge array of Christian leaders currently in America who are anti-Semite or anti-Muslim. You could pick another hundred Muslim leaders who are vocally anti-Christian and get another hundred Jewish leaders who are vocally anti-Shia.

Are you trying to draw parallels between the Irish churches and what happened in Poland in the 30s? Bit of a f**king stretch. Or perhaps you're suggesting that anti-Semitism in the 30's was happening everywhere and excuse what went on in Poland?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

This is a thread for TV show recommendations. I'm sure the anti-Semitism during WWII thread is elsewhere.

CD

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 10, 2013, 08:32:47 AM
This is a thread for TV show recommendations. I'm sure the anti-Semitism during WWII thread is elsewhere.

Well said Tony

Finished watching Generation War last night. As a piece of TV I thought it was excellent. Reminded me in parts of 'All Quiet on the Western Front' - the book.

I'd strongly recommend it to anyone - it had me gripped all the way through. 4 hours really well spent. Mrs CD enjoyed it as well. Wish there were a few more of them.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Jaysis the mid season finale of The Walking Dead was fairly rough!
Brilliant stuff altogether.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on December 10, 2013, 04:17:58 PM
Jaysis the mid season finale of The Walking Dead was fairly rough!
Brilliant stuff altogether.

Was certainly action packed and a bit mad. It will definately make the second half of the season interesting and back to the early days of survival. Wonder will it go much more down the road of the comics.

One then that was funny though was daryl using the Walker as a shield against the gun fire and then he just threw the grenade after about 2 yards. Surely A: The bullets would have went through a zombie and B: Why didn't he just throw the grenade in the first place.

God14

Not sure how I missed it the first time round, but I have been watching 'The Thick of it' recently on Netflix
Some real laugh out loud moments. Very funny show.