TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 28, 2013, 09:59:12 AM
Quote from: Canalman on November 28, 2013, 09:36:13 AM
Watched last night the  first couple of episodes of US House of Cards with Kevin Spacey. Excellent so far and on a par with the earlier English version which I also liked.

Dexter S6 so far is enjoyable enough. By right this programme should be dung but it is actually imo very good. Maybe it is Miami summery setting that makes the series.

Dexter is very good and it's hard to understand why - hammy acting, poor characterisation, daft scripts and the annoying background monologue from Dexter.  I've been enthralled since day-one, but Mrs Boots switched off years ago.

Very well put BB. Agree with you totally.

Newbridge Exile

Not into the whole MMA thing but came across the Ultimate Fighter 18 ( obviously well behind the times as the first 17 series have passed me by )on BT sport ,mad stuff  a reality show men and women  split into 2 teams ( competing separately) living in the house and getting on as a whole reasonable well, then knocking hells bells out of each other in the  a couple of hours later, both teams are coached by women one of which in particular (Rhonda Rousey) is a seriously scary dudette.

armaghniac

Quote from: ballinaman on November 17, 2013, 06:56:32 PM
Generation War tonight on RTE2 looks like it could be very good. Got huge ratings when it was shown in Germany earlier in the year. Subtitle warning for those who don't like foreign shows or movies though.

This is definitely worth a watch and only 3 episodes, all of them still on RTÉ player. It is on the BBC in a few weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

After watching the first series on Sky Arts & the hoors not showing the 2nd, I bought Hatufim / Prisoners of War Boxset (directly from Israel, customs charge of £12 too the bastids). For anyone who watched series 1, series 2 is just f**king superb.

(This is the show that Homeland is based on).

CD

Quote from: armaghniac on December 03, 2013, 12:26:23 AM
Generation War tonight on RTE2 looks like it could be very good. Got huge ratings when it was shown in Germany earlier in the year. Subtitle warning for those who don't like foreign shows or movies though.

This is definitely worth a watch and only 3 episodes, all of them still on RTÉ player. It is on the BBC in a few weeks.

Mrs CD and I watched the first instalment of this last night - really enjoyed it. Nicely set up now to see what happens to the five key protagonists. I love the fact that they are all essentially flawed and 3/5 have bought into the Nazi propaganda. The show doesn't attempt to excuse or justify - strongly recommended!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Canalman

Quote from: bennydorano on December 03, 2013, 11:16:21 PM
After watching the first series on Sky Arts & the hoors not showing the 2nd, I bought Hatufim / Prisoners of War Boxset (directly from Israel, customs charge of £12 too the bastids). For anyone who watched series 1, series 2 is just f**king superb.

Thanks, will watch out for that. S1 was excellent.

ziggy90

Quote from: Canalman on December 04, 2013, 03:21:38 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 03, 2013, 11:16:21 PM

Thanks, will watch out for that. S1 was excellent.

Same as that, I'd appreciate a heads up if it returns as I tend not to look at the schedule for Sky Arts.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

the Deel Rover

Missed friday night lights 1st time round . Its on sky atlantic again started this week enjoyed the 1st episode
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

gallsman

Quote from: the Deel Rover on December 04, 2013, 08:45:08 PM
Missed friday night lights 1st time round . Its on sky atlantic again started this week enjoyed the 1st episode

First few seasons are very good. Turns a bit shit later on and becomes more of a "teen" drama.

ballinaman

Anyone see the latest Walking Dead?....jaysus....fairly dark!

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on December 05, 2013, 02:03:15 PM

That the mid-season finale that was aired in US on Sunday or last Fridays one on over here? Seen all but the mid-season finale.

Homeland has picked up the pace again with Brody back involved and more action. Story is strectching though.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on December 05, 2013, 02:05:06 PM

That the mid-season finale that was aired in US on Sunday or last Fridays one on over here? Seen all but the mid-season finale.

Homeland has picked up the pace again with Brody back involved and more action. Story is strectching though.
The US one, I watched it on Monday after downloading it. Brace yourself!

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on December 05, 2013, 02:07:36 PM

The US one, I watched it on Monday after downloading it. Brace yourself!

This season has been a bit stop/start to date with small stories taking up alot of air time eg the flu, Irish woman with head in the bag, Carol leaving, etc. With the Gov back you'd expect things to push on a bit more, so maybe this will happen now.

nrico2006

The mid season finale that is on this Friday is apparently nuts, looking forward to it. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: CD on December 04, 2013, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 03, 2013, 12:26:23 AM

Mrs CD and I watched the first instalment of this last night - really enjoyed it. Nicely set up now to see what happens to the five key protagonists. I love the fact that they are all essentially flawed and 3/5 have bought into the Nazi propaganda. The show doesn't attempt to excuse or justify - strongly recommended!
I just finished this mini series last night and rated it very highly but the exceptions sadly bring it down to the gutter.
One of the exceptions was so blatant it destroyed any credibility the series had, and that was the portrayal of the Poles resistance (the AK) as rabid anti semites, afflicted with extreme Jewphobia and any Polish farmer in the series was generally a rabid anti semite and a collaberator with the germans. You'd wonder what perception the german filmmakers or germans in generaL  have of the Polish resistance to Nazi german occupation, but this extreme depiction in the series was so deranged it was beyond belief.
It's almost as if, yes the German were bad but the Polish resistance was worse and the Russians were just pure evil.
Compare to those 2, maybe we were not that bad.

It's not that I expect germans to wearing sackcloth and ashes about WW2, but I'd expect a half way rational account of The Polish resistance.
If you keep in mind that this series is also an exercise in crude revisionism, then it's well worth a look.