TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

I am very sorry Shane (that your research skills are lacking).  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

5 Sams

As someone who hasn't a clue about yokes I find Wheeler Dealers surprisingly addictive. That Edd China is a mechanical genius.
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 27, 2013, 11:28:51 PM
As someone who hasn't a clue about yokes I find Wheeler Dealers surprisingly addictive. That Edd China is a mechanical genius.
What channel?

5 Sams

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 28, 2013, 01:58:11 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on October 27, 2013, 11:28:51 PM
What channel?

Discovery UK
The Aristocrat Years

gallsman

Down to the final two episodes of first season of The Bridge, the original Swedish/Danish one. Excellent stuff.

Canalman

Quote from: gallsman on November 07, 2013, 10:15:06 AM
Down to the final two episodes of first season of The Bridge, the original Swedish/Danish one. Excellent stuff.

Great to hear that. It is on my next to watch list along with Borgen 2. Hope it is better than The Killing which was 10 episodes too long.

Half way through American Horror Story. Unbelieveable, daft , unsettling, sometimes silly, alot of wtfs etc .................. but it is actually imo very good. Mightn't be to everyone's taste though.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Canalman on November 07, 2013, 10:52:05 AM

Great to hear that. It is on my next to watch list along with Borgen 2. Hope it is better than The Killing which was 10 episodes too long.

Half way through American Horror Story. Unbelieveable, daft , unsettling, sometimes silly, alot of wtfs etc .................. but it is actually imo very good. Mightn't be to everyone's taste though.

I'm half way through the second series of Bron/Broen - it's very, very good too (and only ten episodes long, like the first series - I think they're showing ep8 next Sunday in Denmark). 

I understand also that the third series of Borgen is starting on BBC4 on Saturday week.

gallsman

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 07, 2013, 12:12:55 PM
Quote from: Canalman on November 07, 2013, 10:52:05 AM

I'm half way through the second series of Bron/Broen - it's very, very good too (and only ten episodes long, like the first series - I think they're showing ep8 next Sunday in Denmark). 

I understand also that the third series of Borgen is starting on BBC4 on Saturday week.

It's the first of the recent influx of Scandinavian crime drams that I've watched. Should I bother with any of the others?

Billys Boots

I liked all of 'the Killing' - even the first series of 20 episodes was enthralling, if not breakneck.  'Borgen' is very good indeed, the thinking man's 'West Wing', and well worth a look.  After that, the standard is fairly much what you'd expect to see from here, or UK or the US. 

screenexile

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 07, 2013, 03:28:28 PM
I liked all of 'the Killing' - even the first series of 20 episodes was enthralling, if not breakneck.  'Borgen' is very good indeed, the thinking man's 'West Wing', and well worth a look.  After that, the standard is fairly much what you'd expect to see from here, or UK or the US.

Is the West Wing not a thinking man's West Wing??

Damn you anyway now that you've said that I'm going to have to watch Borgen as I think West Wing is the best drama series of the lot (Only up to season 4 of course)!!

Billys Boots

Sorry I was being a little trite - I didn't enjoy 'the West Wing', I found it a bit wishy washy - Borgen is a good deal more cynical (in a nice social democracy way).  :P

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Minder

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 07, 2013, 04:23:32 PM
Sorry I was being a little trite - I didn't enjoy 'the West Wing', I found it a bit wishy washy - Borgen is a good deal more cynical (in a nice social democracy way).  :P

Did you download the second season of Broen/Bridge ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Billys Boots

Quote from: Minder on November 07, 2013, 05:12:32 PM

I did; do you want to see where there are live links?

gallsman

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 08, 2013, 10:55:49 AM
Quote from: Minder on November 07, 2013, 05:12:32 PM

I did; do you want to see where there are live links?

Downloaded the first two eps yesterday Billy but had to download subtitles separately from subscene and, while serviceable, they're certainly not great. Any better sources?