TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Breaking Bad spoilers abound, you tubes

Absolutely stunning finale of Breaking Bad. I saw a couple rather poor reviews lamenting it feeling small but it was pretty much perfect. Breaking Bad was never about non-stop action and the space every scene was afforded in the finale gave it a poignancy  few films or tv shows even dare to aim for.

Walt exacting revenge on Elliot and Grechen for losing his original meal ticket and in many ways setting him on the path towards Heisenberg and also getting a decent shot at giving his family the money he earned, Walt wiping Lydia, she of anal-retentiveness when it comes to putting anything in her body (bad choice, Todd), with the ricin, the unspoken love that Skyler still has for Walt, Walt admitting he did it because it made him feel in control of his life rather than simply for his family, him giving Skyler the co-ordinates to Hank and Gomie's burial site, Walt seeing his son for the last time at a distance and always obscured by something, Walt killing Jack in a dark echo of how he had killed Hank, Jesse finally succeeding in rebelling against Mr. White, indeed Walt choosing to save Jesse in the first place. And Walt dying alone in his meth lab with the one thing that never abandoned him, chemistry.

You got the crowd-pleasing apocalyptic finale in the third-last episode, the powerless, hopeless ending in the penultimate episode and a measure of redemption for Walt in the true ending.

The greatest final season of all-time to end one of the greatest stories ever filmed.

AFS

Rois

I'm in the US at the mo and reports on the radio said that the final episode attracted...10million. I thought that was crap since Corrie regularly gets near or more than that. Can that be right (the 10m part)?

Norf Tyrone

I had heard that and thought the same Rois. Not sure what way the numbers are interpreted. Perhaps with 100s more channels on a free view, there is more comp?

Not sure.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Syferus

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 02, 2013, 05:11:07 AM
I had heard that and thought the same Rois. Not sure what way the numbers are interpreted. Perhaps with 100s more channels on a free view, there is more comp?

Not sure.

Far less people have access to Basic cable (Which AMC is on) e.the US networks that are completely free-to-air, like BBC or ITV without the license fee. 10 million is an unreal number for Breaking Bad, up over three million on their all-time high, which was the previous episode.

Far more importantly for AMC, 6.7 million of those viewers were in the 18-49 range and the show was the most talked about on twitter all week. Breaking Bad was always driven by online, be it streaming, downloading or social media chatter.

el_cuervo_fc

Eastbound and Down starting on fox now

johnneycool

JimStynes

Watched the first series of Orange is the new black. Thought it was going to be shit but it was surprisingly good and funny at times.

What is house of cards like?

ziggy90

Quote from: JimStynes on October 05, 2013, 03:31:49 PM
Watched the first series of Orange is the new black. Thought it was going to be shit but it was surprisingly good and funny at times.

I haven't seen the new series but if it's half as good as the original BBC version you're in for a treat.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

muppet

Quote from: JimStynes on October 05, 2013, 03:31:49 PM

It is excellent.

Series 2 out next year I believe.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Love Hate excellent tonight.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Asal Mor

Quote from: laoislad on October 06, 2013, 10:45:48 PM

Outstanding, much better without the implausible Robert Sheehan and Aidan Gillen.

front of the mountain

Ragin I missed Love/hate last nite! was hoping to watch it on the rte player but it not letting me? does any1 know that they barred it if you up in the north?? It comes up "playlist has no content"....... cant find it on line any were else either :(

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on October 06, 2013, 10:45:48 PM

I had to laugh as I read on a thread on Boards.ie that the person was mortified after getting there mam and dad to watch it with them, they had missed the start only to join the parents as Tommy was having a pedal and crank.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

No Soloing

Quote from: front of the mountain on October 07, 2013, 06:50:26 PM
Ragin I missed Love/hate last nite! was hoping to watch it on the rte player but it not letting me? does any1 know that they barred it if you up in the north?? It comes up "playlist has no content"....... cant find it on line any were else either :(

I missed the start of Love/Hate as well.
I have the same problem not being able to see it on RTE player as I am in the north as well - luckily it is repeated next Sat night.
http://www.rte.ie/ten/listings/35566711_tv_LoveHate