TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Not the best finish ever but still a great show overall. When the hype dies down I still think Sopranos and the Wire were better although the wire's final season let it down a bit.

Friendlyfire

Wow! True North what a truly fantastic bit of television!

bennydorano

What series of Breaking Bad is currently on TG4 late on a Tues nite? I've dived back in after missing a series or 2

bcarrier

Minder

Quote from: bennydorano on September 30, 2013, 10:09:33 PM
What series of Breaking Bad is currently on TG4 late on a Tues nite? I've dived back in after missing a series or 2

I think that's season 4
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Done and successfully avoided all spoilers.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Friendlyfire on September 30, 2013, 10:04:14 PM
Wow! True North what a truly fantastic bit of television!

Great show, Mickey McGuigan is some character.

AFS

Quote from: ONeill on September 30, 2013, 09:47:23 PM
I didn't think it was a brilliant ending - a tying up of narratives I suppose. The best episode was the third last. It sorta freewheeled from there as that's all they had to do.

Agree with this. The ending was fine, but I was maybe a little disappointed that things were so well rounded up. I think I would've preferred something darker.

muppet

Quote from: AFS on October 01, 2013, 12:01:43 AM
I didn't think it was a brilliant ending - a tying up of narratives I suppose. The best episode was the third last. It sorta freewheeled from there as that's all they had to do.

Agree with this. The ending was fine, but I was maybe a little disappointed that things were so well rounded up. I think I would've preferred something darker.

********Spoiler Alert*************

I am just grateful there wasn't a Hollywood happy ending * to really piss me off. That episode was class even if the best bits were early on. The way he sorted the money was class. The scene where the shooting began was class. The end with Jesse was a bit off but it was always going to be.

* Shawshank would have been a far better film without the happy ending.

MWWSI 2017

Orior

Quote from: muppet on October 01, 2013, 12:07:05 AM

I am just grateful there wasn't a Hollywood happy ending * to really piss me off. That episode was class even if the best bits were early on. The way he sorted the money was class. The scene where the shooting began was class. The end with Jesse was a bit off but it was always going to be.

Agreed. I would have preferred that Andy and Red didn't meet at the end - apparently they are still shacked up together.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on October 01, 2013, 12:07:05 AM

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

I agree. (Shawshank is Hollywood - you have to have a happy ending for Hollywood or the film doesn't get made. Even Thelma and Louise were happy doing what they did at the end.)  I thought it was a perfect ending for BB and all very inventively done, even if the whole technology extravaganza was more than a bit far-fetched and a bit too McGyver. The money disposal was yet another brilliant, inventive idea of so many that BB has produced. While I sort of understand why people are complaining about the ending being too perfect/tidy, I think BB, in keeping with its scientific theme and the personality of the lead character, was always going to be precise, categorical, definitive with no grey areas.

And I loved the Marty Robbins stuff, even down to the shot in the side. Kind of expected something like that was coming from the episode title. Brilliant that a favourite song should be the theme for the finale of my best TV/cinematic experience ever.

Saw that stuff about the watch incident being cover for a continuity error. That's gas.

ONeill

Y'see I thought it was the grey areas that affected it.

Walt became all of a sudden stealth-like in the last episode - appearing inside the house of his previous business partners, appearing in his wife's kitchen, somehow finding the two lads to shine the lights, the risin in the cup, evading detection for a whole day in the town.....he almost became supernatural in the final episode whereas he was a bit of a successful bungler previously.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on October 01, 2013, 01:55:47 PM
Y'see I thought it was the grey areas that affected it.

Walt became all of a sudden stealth-like in the last episode - appearing inside the house of his previous business partners, appearing in his wife's kitchen, somehow finding the two lads to shine the lights, the risin in the cup, evading detection for a whole day in the town.....he almost became supernatural in the final episode whereas he was a bit of a successful bungler previously.

Ah here he was always and intelligent guy and he's now an experienced druglord and while the net had tightened on him he was always one step ahead of the game. Time after time he had thought out every eventuality so I thought it was a perfect way to end it.

johnneycool

Absolutely fantastic last night,

David was dispatched to Nicks bed after he'd shown signs of coming out of the coma, Poor Nick near filled the togs when David appeared in the room and put the machines into overdrive. The Sneaky wee bollox crept in later on to scare the bejaysus out of Nick who thought his number was up. Dave wants a pact that Nick won't grass him up and knows that Nick could be the Da to his wane....

Fantastic stuff, couldn't beat it.

I'll give you all a run down on Doc Martin later when I get time. It was class too, but alas no Michelle Keegan to ogle.

bennydorano

Quote from: screenexile on September 25, 2013, 12:13:03 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on September 25, 2013, 10:31:27 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 25, 2013, 08:53:47 AM
Quote from: reddgnhand on September 25, 2013, 12:35:34 AM
Quote from: screenexile on September 24, 2013, 11:26:06 PM
Anybody watch "London Irish" on C4? What a complete ball of total steaming dung!!!

Probably hugely offensive to the Irish diaspora in London Town as well!

Watched a bit of it tonight and couldn't agree more.

I liked it. Not great but it got funnier as it went on. I'll be watching it again and I really don't see why it would offend.
It seemed to be a competition as to who could put out the most vulgar, offensive statement, very little comedy in it, over acting was awful.

It makes out Irish women as having a ridiculous level of swearing (unless the women in the show are Tyrone women in which case it's accurate) and makes them out to be complete slags. The lads are made out to be completely stupid drunks who are easily impressionable it's just lazy and I don't really understand how you pitch that to a group of people and it comes across as a valid TV show. The Hardy Bucks is actually much funnier than London Irish!

Having said that the E4 Sitcom "Phone Shop" is also dross and has managed to get a second series... I guess it's supposed to be new edgy comedy but if falls way short of that from what I can see.

The Thick of It should be the benchmark by which UK Comedy is judged and the current crop is nowhere nea

Thought London Irish was quite funny tonight, i didn't see the first episode, but i wouln't be getting too precious about stereotypes, at the end of the day funny is  funny.