TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Hardy on August 29, 2013, 11:17:50 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 29, 2013, 09:14:24 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 29, 2013, 07:44:23 AM
I was mildly disappointed with the first show of this last set. Just mildly. I didn't think it lived up to the show's standard for tension and situations that take you by surprise. I suppose I had too much expectation of a real blockbuster in the first episode, after where the last show of last year had left us. It was good. Even very good, but not Breaking Bad good, I thought.

Episode 2 was a big improvement with the Lydia plot development, but I thought Episode 3 restored the standard in a big way. A brilliant twist and totally unexpected - by me, anyway.

Surely the last scene of the 1st new episode was the most tense and enthralling scene in the show's history?

Sure you could be right. We all have our own perceptions. As I said, it was very good, but for me not as good, tension wise, as half a dozen others I can think of - the RV scene with HS outside and WW/JP inside, Tuco in the junkyard, Face-Off, the very first episode with WW and the 2 lads in the RV, the prisoner in the basement, the train heist, Gus and JP in Mexico, the unforgettable end to Season 3 (JP and Gale), etc.

It's just all brilliant!!! Tuco in the junkyard is probably my favourite of them all!

Minder

Is Ray Donovan worth persevering with? I have watched the first two episodes and it hasn't exactly grabbed me, I have the others recorded.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

screenexile

Quote from: Minder on August 29, 2013, 11:27:07 AM
Is Ray Donovan worth persevering with? I have watched the first two episodes and it hasn't exactly grabbed me, I have the others recorded.

I like it but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I thought the first episode was excellent!

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on August 29, 2013, 10:54:20 AM
Quote from: straightred on August 29, 2013, 10:47:57 AM
OK I'm new here so I'll throw a few out that I enjoyed.

BB speaks for itself as the best show on TV and is well covered here so i'll leave that out.

My rule of thumb is that if you want to watch episodes one after the other then you're hooked !

House of cards did that to me - I loved it
Orange is the new Black - started good, lost its way a bit in the middle but the last few episodes were great
Suits - took me a while but I've really go into it. BB is my Monday night fix and Suits is my Wednesday night thing.

My routine is now...

Monday night - Dexter, Ray Donovan, Breaking Bad, The Newsroom
Wednesday Night - Suits

It all goes haywire then at the end of September with the Fall season beginning!

Tuesday nights are busy with Ray Donovan and Falling Skies (really going off this though).  Also was wacthing the Following on Tuesday nights as well as Hannibal.  Have the Walking Dead and Person Of Interest (favourite show of mine at the minute along with Ray Donovan) coming back soon, and only after finished Revolution which was good too.  Boardwalk Empire is bound to return soon too.  On top of that I have been trooping through the Love/Hate box set and Im half way through season 3, hope to finish it tonight or tomorrow.  Been a good season so far.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Suits - took me a while but I've really go into it. BB is my Monday night fix and Suits is my Wednesday night thing.

Suits is a guilty pleasure. It's fun and (at times) smart but it's utter drivel and nonsense at the same time. Even more so that usual in the current season.

J OGorman

Quote from: gallsman on August 29, 2013, 02:13:01 PM

Suits is a guilty pleasure. It's fun and (at times) smart but it's utter drivel and nonsense at the same time. Even more so that usual in the current season.

get away outta that. If you like something, buck it.

screenexile

I've a wile addiction to American Sitcoms. I watch a complete bucketful of them but my guiltiest pleasure is Mellissa and Joey. Now talking about utter drivel it tops the list but there's just something about Mellissa Joan Hart... I think it's got to do with my Sabrina the Teenage Witch phase :(

nrico2006

Don't watch any sitcoms but used to catch Everybody Loves Raymond in the morning when getting ready for work and have to admit I could watch them all day.  But if I ever see a sitcom on I just flick over from them, dunno why.  Was never a big Friends fan either but anytime I have watched them they are brilliant and theres a real feel good feel to them and Raymond, dunno if its the characters and setting or both. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Very similiar views to Nrico.

Easy to sit down to see an episode of say Frasier, Modern Family, Porridge, Yes Minister ,Two and a half Men etc  to while away a half hour or so. Pity there aren't more of the older ones still being shown.

Used to love Married with Children.

Cannot stand "Friends".

screenexile

There are some deadly Old School sitcoms:

Everybody Loves Raymond
Frasier
Scrubs
Friends
Sabrina the Teenage Witch
Two Guys and Girl
Smart Guy
Arrested Development
Hang Time
Two of a Kind
Fresh Prince
My Wife and Kids
Roseanne
Fresh Prince
Hangin with Mr. Cooper
Cheers
Cosby Show
Happy Days
That 70s Show
Malcolm in the Middle (Actually a quite brilliant TV Show)
Mork and Mindy

I never really got the hoo ha about Seinfeld. It was just alright for me.

qubdub

Few nostalgic choices there! Also a few questionable ones!

Anyone any recommendations? I'm not a big fan of watching tv outside of live sports and news. I have watched Sopranos and and currently finishing off Breaking Bad. So far Sopranos, IMO and along with popular opinion is the benchmark, BB isn't far off (IMO). Any shows out there that come close?

Denn Forever

Moone Boy on Sky One.  I remember Ireland in the late 80s.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Canalman on August 29, 2013, 03:58:43 PM
Very similiar views to Nrico.

Easy to sit down to see an episode of say Frasier, Modern Family, Porridge, Yes Minister ,Two and a half Men etc  to while away a half hour or so. Pity there aren't more of the older ones still being shown.

Used to love Married with Children.

Cannot stand "Friends".
Totally agree. My Sky+ box is nicely filling up with Frasier re-runs and still love Porridge and even the wains have started watching Only Fools and Horses.

Never liked Friends at the time amd still feel it was over-rated and very much style over substance.
Screenexile has some good uns in there and would also include King of Queens.

5 Sams

I love Friends...does that make me a bad person? :-\
Can't stand Frasier though....
Daddy of them all is Cheers...NORM!!!
Edit: Sorry forgot. Roseanne was top class.
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 29, 2013, 08:58:58 PM
I love Friends...does that make me a bad person? :-\
Can't stand Frasier though....
Daddy of them all is Cheers...NORM!!!
Edit: Sorry forgot. Roseanne was top class.
No, being from Down does that.