TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: Canalman on August 22, 2013, 10:29:43 AM
Only 2 more episodes of The Returned to watch. Very good show. Really haven't a clue what is going to happen at the end. Very unsettling at times.

I'd be very interested to hear what you think when you've finished it.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

No Soloing

Question for anyone uses Netflix

I know the latest season of Breaking Bad is streamed on Netflix but are the previous seasons streamed on there as well?

J OGorman

Quote from: No Soloing on August 28, 2013, 10:42:33 AM

I know the latest season of Breaking Bad is streamed on Netflix but are the previous seasons streamed on there as well?

yessir...every episode  :)

Canalman

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 22, 2013, 11:38:11 AM
Only 2 more episodes of The Returned to watch. Very good show. Really haven't a clue what is going to happen at the end. Very unsettling at times.

Finished it at the weekend.
Not impressed with how it ended. Left a sourish taste in my mouth but suppose I will have to wait for season 2.
Massive amount of loose ends at the end but I suppose the next season will reveal all.

Less keen now to recommend it .

No Soloing

Quote from: J OGorman on August 28, 2013, 10:47:03 AM
Quote from: No Soloing on August 28, 2013, 10:42:33 AM

yessir...every episode  :)

Cheers
I missed the start of season 3 - always thought I would get a repeat but either didnt catch it, or didnt happen
I'll switch from lovefilm over to netflix then

tyrone girl

Ahh Prisoner Cell Block H coming back tonight!! Loved that show when i was wee.  Interested to see what this version is like

Billys Boots

Quote from: Canalman on August 28, 2013, 10:49:53 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on August 22, 2013, 11:38:11 AM

Finished it at the weekend.
Not impressed with how it ended. Left a sourish taste in my mouth but suppose I will have to wait for season 2.
Massive amount of loose ends at the end but I suppose the next season will reveal all.

Less keen now to recommend it .

Snap, I thought it fizzled out and became standard zombie stuff rather than the interesting approach it started out with - concentrating on the 'human' aspects of coming back from the dead.  I can't really see where a season-2 is going to go that would be interesting to me - the only thing that will make me come back to have a look is that it's French, not American. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Glad to see you're back Boots, any new recommendations? Any sign of a new series of Spiral, Romanzo Criminale or some of the other great stuff (or new) you've pointed me to. What did you think of Breaking Bad? I've watched the first two episodes and I think I'll like it but with the great summer we've had I haven't been able to motivate myself to watch much tele.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Syferus

Best show on TV.

The last three episodes have been the best of the lot, everything is moving forward so confidently and brilliantly that it's becoming clear Breaking Bad will become one of the top five or top three shows of all time.

Hardy

I was mildly disappointed with the first show of this last set. Just mildly. I didn't think it lived up to the show's standard for tension and situations that take you by surprise. I suppose I had too much expectation of a real blockbuster in the first episode, after where the last show of last year had left us. It was good. Even very good, but not Breaking Bad good, I thought.

Episode 2 was a big improvement with the Lydia plot development, but I thought Episode 3 restored the standard in a big way. A brilliant twist and totally unexpected - by me, anyway.

screenexile

Quote from: Hardy on August 29, 2013, 07:44:23 AM
I was mildly disappointed with the first show of this last set. Just mildly. I didn't think it lived up to the show's standard for tension and situations that take you by surprise. I suppose I had too much expectation of a real blockbuster in the first episode, after where the last show of last year had left us. It was good. Even very good, but not Breaking Bad good, I thought.

Episode 2 was a big improvement with the Lydia plot development, but I thought Episode 3 restored the standard in a big way. A brilliant twist and totally unexpected - by me, anyway.

Surely the last scene of the 1st new episode was the most tense and enthralling scene in the show's history? I've loved every minute of the new batch it's building up very nicely!

straightred

OK I'm new here so I'll throw a few out that I enjoyed.

BB speaks for itself as the best show on TV and is well covered here so i'll leave that out.

My rule of thumb is that if you want to watch episodes one after the other then you're hooked !

House of cards did that to me - I loved it
Orange is the new Black - started good, lost its way a bit in the middle but the last few episodes were great
Suits - took me a while but I've really go into it. BB is my Monday night fix and Suits is my Wednesday night thing.

screenexile

Quote from: straightred on August 29, 2013, 10:47:57 AM
OK I'm new here so I'll throw a few out that I enjoyed.

BB speaks for itself as the best show on TV and is well covered here so i'll leave that out.

My rule of thumb is that if you want to watch episodes one after the other then you're hooked !

House of cards did that to me - I loved it
Orange is the new Black - started good, lost its way a bit in the middle but the last few episodes were great
Suits - took me a while but I've really go into it. BB is my Monday night fix and Suits is my Wednesday night thing.

My routine is now...

Monday night - Dexter, Ray Donovan, Breaking Bad, The Newsroom
Wednesday Night - Suits

It all goes haywire then at the end of September with the Fall season beginning!

Hardy

Quote from: screenexile on August 29, 2013, 09:14:24 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 29, 2013, 07:44:23 AM

Surely the last scene of the 1st new episode was the most tense and enthralling scene in the show's history?

Sure you could be right. We all have our own perceptions. As I said, it was very good, but for me not as good, tension wise, as half a dozen others I can think of - the RV scene with HS outside and WW/JP inside, Tuco in the junkyard, Face-Off, the very first episode with WW and the 2 lads in the RV, the prisoner in the basement, the train heist, Gus and JP in Mexico, the unforgettable end to Season 3 (JP and Gale), etc.