TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I'm going to have to give it a look.

nrico2006

Going to watch it myself.  Falling Skies back in action the other night, been looking forward to it.  Revolution has been motoring along nicely too, as has Hannibal.  Thinking about giving that Ray Donovan show a go too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Finished S2 of the Borgias at the weekend. Didn't see that ending coming.

Anyone seen 666 Park Avenue ? Have it taped.

The Returned is next to watch once it has finished its run and I can scoot through the episodes.

gallsman

Seeing Steve Van Zandt on Saturday night reminded me that he had a show at the minute called Lilyhammer. Anyone seen it and if so, would you recommend it?

Canalman

Quote from: gallsman on July 22, 2013, 03:58:55 PM
Seeing Steve Van Zandt on Saturday night reminded me that he had a show at the minute called Lilyhammer. Anyone seen it and if so, would you recommend it?

Watchable alright. A bit whimsical and lighthearted but I enjoyed it.

Syferus

Watched the pilot of Under the Dome, US network show that's an adaption of a Stephn King book where a town gets cut off from the world by a mysterious dome. A decent bit of summer fun, don't know if I'll stick with it but I'll probably give it another episode at least.

Top of the Lake is in my download queue, a sort of New Zealand set The Killing created by Jane Campion (director of The Piano) and starting Peggy from Mad Men.

Watching the first episode of Ray Donovan right now. Promising.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2013, 11:14:24 PM
Watched the pilot of Under the Dome, US network show that's an adaption of a Stephn King book where a town gets cut off from the world by a mysterious dome. A decent bit of summer fun, don't know if I'll stick with it but I'll probably give it another episode at least.

Top of the Lake is in my download queue, a sort of New Zealand set The Killing created by Jane Campion (director of The Piano) and starting Peggy from Mad Men.

Watching the first episode of Ray Donovan right now. Promising.

She'll always be Zoe Bartlet to me!!

Asal Mor

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 19, 2013, 12:44:58 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2013, 12:42:06 PM
I've never seen it and I don't think I could bring myself to watch it. The point being that I can empathise with low-lifes like the Sopranos and the likes of Walter White and that's the genius of the writing. But trying to occupy the same emotional space as Dublin junkie skangers is a leap I don't think I can manage.

That's exactly why I avoided it Hardy, well that and the fact it was an RTE production. Then people who I thought would be in a similar camp told me how good it was so I gave it a shot. Some of the acting is a bit wooden alright but some of it is excellent and there are some great characters. Definitely worth a watch, if you liked the Sopranos you'll like this I think.

I gave up on Love/Hate after a few episodes. I just couldn't buy that some of these guys were Dublin gangland criminals. The main character Darren especially, his buddy(to a lesser degree) who was knocking off his sister and Aidan Gillen's character just weren't believable to me. I'm not saying they're bad actors (I thought Gillen was brilliant in Queer as Folk) but I couldn't buy for a second that they were products of the rough streets of Dublin. They were too good-looking and clean cut. Not a scar or a yellowy- black half-rotten heroin tooth in sight.

Aidan Gillen's character's brother (Louie??) was one character I could believe. I'd guess the actor came from a rough part of Dublin. I remember Stuart Dunne as Billy Meehan in Fair City. Now there was a sc**bag you could believe in.

Milltown Row2

Anyone watch the Run drama that was on Channel 4? Was a great set of hard hitting shows, well acted and decent stories
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2013, 09:51:32 AM
Anyone watch the Run drama that was on Channel 4? Was a great set of hard hitting shows, well acted and decent stories

The woman watched it, said it was good.  Have to take a look.

ludermor

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 23, 2013, 09:43:02 AM
I've never seen it and I don't think I could bring myself to watch it. The point being that I can empathise with low-lifes like the Sopranos and the likes of Walter White and that's the genius of the writing. But trying to occupy the same emotional space as Dublin junkie skangers is a leap I don't think I can manage.

That's exactly why I avoided it Hardy, well that and the fact it was an RTE production. Then people who I thought would be in a similar camp told me how good it was so I gave it a shot. Some of the acting is a bit wooden alright but some of it is excellent and there are some great characters. Definitely worth a watch, if you liked the Sopranos you'll like this I think.

I gave up on Love/Hate after a few episodes. I just couldn't buy that some of these guys were Dublin gangland criminals. The main character Darren especially, his buddy(to a lesser degree) who was knocking off his sister and Aidan Gillen's character just weren't believable to me. I'm not saying they're bad actors (I thought Gillen was brilliant in Queer as Folk) but I couldn't buy for a second that they were products of the rough streets of Dublin. They were too good-looking and clean cut. Not a scar or a yellowy- black half-rotten heroin tooth in sight.

Aidan Gillen's character's brother (Louie??) was one character I could believe. I'd guess the actor came from a rough part of Dublin. I remember Stuart Dunne as Billy Meehan in Fair City. Now there was a sc**bag you could believe in.
Not quite! Pretty sure he is Brendan Gleeson son.

No Soloing

Quote from: ludermor on July 23, 2013, 10:11:40 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on July 23, 2013, 09:43:02 AM

Not quite! Pretty sure he is Brendan Gleeson son.

Hughie (rather than Louie) is indeed played by Brendan Gleeson's son - Briain. If you can get past the fast that most of the characters are good-looking and the tough guys are a bit over-emotional, especially about their wimmin, I think its a good show. I have only watched season 1 - might start season 2 tonite. I thought espisode 3 out of 4 in S1 was excellent.

Watched the 1st episode of Ray Donovan last night. Thought it was very good. I hope its not one of these shows that has an excellent pilot/ep1 and then tails off when the writers find out they have to write good stuff for every week.

Asal Mor

I stand corrected but still, Hughie looked and sounded the part. I suppose the main problem I had with the show was the main character Darren, who looked and sounded like an Arts student. Also he was always brooding about some personal tragedy or other and I found it hard to care. It's a good show apart from that.

Denn Forever

Does anybody remember Veronica Marrs?  Sassy high school crime drama.  What was there not to like, I suppose it would be available on Netflix?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...