TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2013, 12:42:06 PM
I've never seen it and I don't think I could bring myself to watch it. The point being that I can empathise with low-lifes like the Sopranos and the likes of Walter White and that's the genius of the writing. But trying to occupy the same emotional space as Dublin junkie skangers is a leap I don't think I can manage.

Ah Fair City isn't that bad...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

God14

Just finished the first series of 'the Killing'. Great show.
Its in subtitles but after 10minutes or so you hardly notice. Highly recommend.

screenexile

Jaysus I've horsed through 16 episodes of Game of Thrones since Saturday. Mighty stuff!!

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on July 04, 2013, 09:22:07 AM
Jaysus I've horsed through 16 episodes of Game of Thrones since Saturday. Mighty stuff!!

Season 1?  Waiting for it to pop up on OnDemand again, have season 2 recorded and a bit of 3.  Will probably give in and buy season one on disc if I have to wait much longer. 

Hannibal is fairly picking up, last few episodes have been very good. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

laoislad

Just started watching a new series called Under The Dome.
Only watched the first episode but seems ok so far.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1553656/

Shamrock Shore

It's from a Stephen King book that I read so it's probably hokum.

laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 04, 2013, 11:57:51 AM
It's from a Stephen King book that I read so it's probably hokum.

If it was in Japanese with English subtitles it be the greatest show ever...

Canalman

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 04, 2013, 09:56:41 AM
Quote from: screenexile on July 04, 2013, 09:22:07 AM

Season 1?  Waiting for it to pop up on OnDemand again, have season 2 recorded and a bit of 3.  Will probably give in and buy season one on disc if I have to wait much longer. 

Hannibal is fairly picking up, last few episodes have been very good.

Agree with you about Hannibal. Came so close on a number of occasions in ditching it during first 4 episodes but glad I stuck with it. Lamest start to a tv series I have seen for quiet a while.

Have S2 of the Borgias promised to me at the weekend and can't wait if S1 is anything to go by.

Billys Boots

QuoteAgree with you about Hannibal. Came so close on a number of occasions in ditching it during first 4 episodes but glad I stuck with it. Lamest start to a tv series I have seen for quiet a while.

I watched it to the end - it finished poorly in my opinion, after picking up in the middle.  The Hannibal character was interesting - everyone else wasn't, especially Will Graham.  The actor was crap, and the portrayal was awful - he was so much more believable in 'Manhunter' and even 'Red Dragon'.  Jack Crawford was awful too - just a big blundering idiot, not how he was portrayed in the books, or indeed any of his previous screen incarnations.  I don't think the series has much of a future, just following Hannibal's meanderings. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bcarrier

I've never seen it and I don't think I could bring myself to watch it. The point being that I can empathise with low-lifes like the Sopranos and the likes of Walter White and that's the genius of the writing. But trying to occupy the same emotional space as Dublin junkie skangers is a leap I don't think I can manage.

Id say watch it ...your expectations are probably low enough to be able to enjoy it. Some of the acting is a bit hit/miss imo but you will have moments of empathy.

Walter must be back shortly ...

Hardy

Quote from: bcarrier on July 04, 2013, 12:30:29 PM

Id say watch it ...your expectations are probably low enough to be able to enjoy it. Some of the acting is a bit hit/miss imo but you will have moments of empathy.

Walter must be back shortly ...

OK bcarrier, on your recommendation, then.

Walter is back on 11 August. Apparently There's a Saul Goodman spinoff coming too. That could be entertaining.

Syferus

Kinda sounds like that idea (and eventual one season show) for The Lone Gunmen spin-off of the X-Files. Vince Gilligan, the creator of Breaking Bad was a producer/writer of both.

Given Breaking Bad is at its end it's still good to know there will be something in that world coming. It's going to be a very different type of show with Saul as the main character.

Canalman

Finished Breaking Bad S3 recently and in the process of finishing The Borgias S2.............. both excellent. In particular brilliant acting in the Borgias.

Syferus

Quote from: Canalman on July 16, 2013, 09:53:49 AM
Finished Breaking Bad S3 recently and in the process of finishing The Borgias S2.............. both excellent. In particular brilliant acting in the Borgias.

???

I don't think there's a compassion between the level of acting in the two shows and it's not the Borgias I'd be praising.

Croí na hÉireann

That's exactly why I avoided it Hardy, well that and the fact it was an RTE production. Then people who I thought would be in a similar camp told me how good it was so I gave it a shot. Some of the acting is a bit wooden alright but some of it is excellent and there are some great characters. Definitely worth a watch, if you liked the Sopranos you'll like this I think.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...