TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Minder on June 20, 2013, 10:58:28 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 20, 2013, 10:54:39 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 20, 2013, 10:50:37 AM
Just a word on James Gandolfini, was amazing in the Sopranos one of my all time favourite shows!
RIP Tony

Never watched any of it.  Would it be worth downlanding and watching from the start?

Ah you don't know what your missing, brilliant show.

+1 LL well worth a watch, might do the same and go back and watch it from the start again!

nrico2006

Quote from: NAG1 on June 20, 2013, 11:06:32 AM
Quote from: Minder on June 20, 2013, 10:58:28 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 20, 2013, 10:54:39 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 20, 2013, 10:50:37 AM
Just a word on James Gandolfini, was amazing in the Sopranos one of my all time favourite shows!
RIP Tony

Never watched any of it.  Would it be worth downlanding and watching from the start?

Ah you don't know what your missing, brilliant show.

+1 LL well worth a watch, might do the same and go back and watch it from the start again!

Funny, I only watched them all last year and haven't really tried to go back and watch any episodes again but at the weekend there I recorded the Pine Barrens episode just to see if it was as good second time around. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Just watched the season four finale of Breaking Bad. Wonderful. I could see the basic outline from the very first scene but it was done so effectively it hardly mattered. One of the joys of Breaking Bad is how inter-connected everything is, or at least feels like it is. Minor events or characters can have profound impacts and healthy back-story, rarely told clunkily.

I have just enough time to watch the first eight of season five before the back half of the final season starts in August. Perfect.

lurganblue

Just got caught up on Banshee last night. Gruesome at time but all in all a cracking series so far

BennyHarp

Quote from: lurganblue on June 29, 2013, 08:56:27 AM
Just got caught up on Banshee last night. Gruesome at time but all in all a cracking series so far

I've thoroughly enjoyed Banshee, the storyline is ridiculous but it's an entertaining watch with some great characters like Proctor, Job and Sugar. It's shaping up for a good finale next week!
That was never a square ball!!

lurganblue

Short enough series and i believe a long lay off

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 17, 2013, 10:05:29 AM
Quote from: Canalman on June 16, 2013, 02:40:34 PM
Saw two great episodes 5 and 6 (I think) of Hannibal last night. Series is hotting up and has my attention now.

Snap.
I got as far as e.4, thought it was pulp. I just couldn't take another minute.
I just stuck it out for that long because it was favourably mentioned earlier in the thread.
The longer I live, the harder it is to entertain me.

Anyone remember when RTE aired a series or two, in the very early '70's, of 'Then Came Bronson'? Just perfect for a teenager who hated incarceration in school, who couldn't wait to finish the leaving cert and get out on the road.
It was a step on the wild side for RTE. I'd be curious to watch it now to see what entertained me then. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on June 30, 2013, 10:34:01 PM
Saw two great episodes 5 and 6 (I think) of Hannibal last night. Series is hotting up and has my attention now.

Snap.
I just stuck it out for that long because it was favourably mentioned earlier in the thread.

Anyone remember when RTE aired a series or two, in the very early '70's, of 'Then Came Bronson'? Just perfect for a teenager who hated incarceration in school, who couldn't wait to finish the leaving cert and get out on the road.
It was a step on the wild side for RTE. I'd be curious to watch it now to see what entertained me then.
Had to look up it up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0039UU3KA

Eamonnca1

Jut started Downton Abbey a few weeks ago.  I'm into season 3 now. Hard to beat.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 30, 2013, 10:42:34 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 30, 2013, 10:34:01 PM

Snap.

Had to look up it up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0039UU3KA
I wouldn't pay to satisfy nostalgic curiosity, but surprisingly i found the 2 series and the pilot available on Kickass and Pirate Bay respectively.
Not bad for a series which is nearly 45 years old.

Eamonnca1

Can't remember if I've posted this already but if you're interested in  the old ocean liners there's a great documentary series about them that's all on youtube.  Start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGcGvR4PEc

LeoMc

Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2013, 10:18:43 PM
Watched the final episode of The Fear yesterday. Really excellent ending that is both tragic and able change the perspective of the mini-series in an instant. Some fantastic performances to boot, none more do than Peter Mullan as the lead.

I've been impressed by a lot of Channel 4's forays into drama in recent years and it's good to see American premium cable quality starting to seep onto shows this side of the Atlantic.
Missed the final episode at the time and finally got round to watching it last night. Agree with all that, it takes you into a dark place.

nrico2006

I see that show Love/Hate starts on Channel 5 in a few weeks - is it any good? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 02, 2013, 10:17:47 AM
I see that show Love/Hate starts on Channel 5 in a few weeks - is it any good?

Maybe I am getting a bit carried away, and maybe biased as it's Irish, but to me it's up there with some of those high rated US shows like Homeland, and Breaking Bad. It's one of them shows that really kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. I just loved it!

Really looking forward to series 4!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Hardy

I've never seen it and I don't think I could bring myself to watch it. The point being that I can empathise with low-lifes like the Sopranos and the likes of Walter White and that's the genius of the writing. But trying to occupy the same emotional space as Dublin junkie skangers is a leap I don't think I can manage.