TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: ziggysego on March 26, 2013, 10:51:46 AM
Has anyone been watching Broadchurch on UTV? Three episodes in now, but fantastic Monday night television. A murder mystery.

Yep, really good show. Most of these sort of shows you can tell from quite early on "whodunnit".
I've genuinely no clue in this one. Could be any one of 5-6 people.

Denn Forever

The Untold History of the US since 1940 on Sky Atlantic from 17th April.  Narrated and produced by Oliver Stone with accompanying book.  Sound intersting.

Is it true that the USSR had started to invade Japan before the Atomic bombs were dropped?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ballinaman

Bingo

Haha, like that. Its a good show but you do find it fustrating at times with the filler and lack of zombies. Roll on World War Z for my zombie fill!

Liked the first episode of Revolution, bit to go yet and I fear another Flash Forward and The Event.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on April 02, 2013, 04:45:22 PM

Liked the first episode of Revolution, bit to go yet and I fear another Flash Forward and The Event.

It's ok. I've watched up to episode 12.
Some nice female totty in it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on April 02, 2013, 04:30:21 PM

The season finale banjaxed the last bit of that. The first eight were fantastic but the back half of the season was too stretched out and uneven. The only good thing to come of the season finale is that Andrea's ****** and ****** because the writers were completely unable to make her anything more than an extremely annoying character.

Game of Thrones, now there's a show that gets consistency down to an art form. Great to have it back and it almost makes you want to venture north. Any GAABoarders appearing as extras?  ;)

Oh, and it surely has to have the very best titles in the history of television, right?

thewobbler

Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2013, 02:31:58 AM

The season finale banjaxed the last bit of that. The first eight were fantastic but the back half of the season was too stretched out and uneven. The only good thing to come of the season finale is that ****** died because the writers were completely unable to make her anything more than an extremely annoying character.

Game of Thrones, now there's a show that gets consistency down to an art form. Great to have it back and it almost makes you want to venture north. Any GAABoarders appearing as extras?  ;)

Oh, and it surely has to have the very best titles in the history of television, right?

Holy f**king spoiler alert.

Syferus

Quote from: thewobbler on April 05, 2013, 08:14:56 AM

The season finale banjaxed the last bit of that. The first eight were fantastic but the back half of the season was too stretched out and uneven. The only good thing to come of the season finale is that ****** died because the writers were completely unable to make her anything more than an extremely annoying character.

To be fair I tried to find a spoiler tag in the mess of formatting icons to no avail. I'll switch it to asterisks but I doubt many care too much about her story.

nrico2006

Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2013, 12:35:32 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 05, 2013, 08:14:56 AM

To be fair I tried to find a spoiler tag in the mess of formatting icons to no avail. I'll switch it to asterisks but I doubt many care too much about her story.

I've been waiting for weekas for somebody to either shoot her or eat her.  Looking forward to the finale tonight.  Still can't believe Bruce Lee is tackling Hershels wee girl, thought it was going to turn into a Shannon Tweed epic the other week between them too.

Enjoying The Following too, and Touch is back on screens this week, with Falling Skies bound to be back soon too.  Watched Revolution and it was ok, take a while to see how good it really is.  My favourite show at the minute is Person of Interest, started off pretty slowly with every episode being kind of independent to any other, but there has been a lot of back story and character building going on with overall baddies etc being put in place.  Some of Caviezels one liners are cheesy as hell but every week the show is getting better and better, and its responsible for two popularising two tunes that are seemingly used in every tv snipper going at the minute be it football focus or an ad for a new watch ('intro' by the xxx and 'I Know You Are But What Am I?' by Mogwai). 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Billys Boots

I see the TV series based on the life and times of Hannibal Lecter started in the US last night - imaginatively called 'Hannibal'.  Will try and get a gawk at it over the weekend. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 05, 2013, 05:11:13 PM
I see the TV series based on the life and times of Hannibal Lecter started in the US last night - imaginatively called 'Hannibal'.  Will try and get a gawk at it over the weekend. 

One of the (many) strange things I discovered on moving here to the twilight zone is that "gawk" means something completely different down here.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on April 02, 2013, 04:45:22 PM
Haha, like that. Its a good show but you do find it fustrating at times with the filler and lack of zombies. Roll on World War Z for my zombie fill!

Saw a preview for World War Z, looks class.
I might even spend some money and go watch it in the cinema instead of illegal downloading!
It will be a easy sell to the woman as well with Mr Pitt in it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Syferus

I'd recommend ye check out the abridged (the abridged version is far superior as a production) audiobook of World War Z, it's based around fully voiced-acted characters chronicling the apocalypse after the fact. It's great fun and given the film isn't likely to follow the same format it won't be just an exercise of spoiling the movie.

Feckitt

Great to see Mad Men back,  We're in the late 60's now.  Joan is some bit of stuff. 

Bingo

Watched the last episode of Spartacus last night. WOW, what a show and what a finish.

When you get past the blood/gore and the, ahem, other action, it was a great story and built up very well over the seasons. The finish was spot on.

Talk of them following the story of Julius Ceasar now, which would be interesting and wouldn't belittle the last 4 seasons, as it be a new tangent altogether.