TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: heffo on February 21, 2013, 08:32:40 PM
Durham county on US Netflix is decent. Drama about a serial killer living in a suburban Canadian community

I'll look out for that. The missus mightn't fancy it but she is surviving Breaking Bad so it might work.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

House of cards? Just put it on. Love Spacey in this type of role is it worth watching?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: ballinaman on February 21, 2013, 04:27:06 PM
What are people making of the Des Bishop show on drink culture in Ireland. 3rd episode is on tonight. Just watched the 1st one on RTE player there, some good insights into things but Dessie is a bit passed his sell by date at this stage IMO, his jokes are fairly well recycled. Still will watch it though I'd say.

Yeah, it's the old a Yank walks into an Irish Pub stuff! Des is getting old and the energy is less i feel. Still not a bad show, just not a very good one either.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2013, 11:20:38 PM
House of cards? Just put it on. Love Spacey in this type of role is it worth watching?

I've just finished the series - thoroughly enjoyed it! Spacey is superb in it.
That was never a square ball!!

Minder

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 22, 2013, 12:57:50 AM

Robin Wright is still a tasty of stuff at 46.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on February 21, 2013, 03:55:56 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 21, 2013, 08:44:13 AM

Am enjoying Engrenages season-4 at the moment.
I wasn't sure where it was going with the first 2 episodes but I have settled into it after episodes 3&4.
The reappearance of the magistrate Roban (reminds me of Wenger) has brought it on a few notches.

Said the same thing to Mrs Boots last night - he's as pig-headed as Wenger too.  :)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

But as least his bank balance is probably healthy.

Main Street

Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2013, 10:18:43 PM
Watched the final episode of The Fear yesterday. Really excellent ending that is both tragic and able change the perspective of the mini-series in an instant. Some fantastic performances to boot, none more do than Peter Mullan as the lead.

I've been impressed by a lot of Channel 4's forays into drama in recent years and it's good to see American premium cable quality starting to seep onto shows this side of the Atlantic.
I've watched the first 2 episodes but I'm finding it difficult to to cary on. Not that it isn't good, it's impressive and Mullan is superb, but just the feeling of inevitable tragedy  with a hard nosed crime boss, in denial suffering from an advancing alzheimer's, with a gang of gun crazy Albanians on his back, a shower of good for nothings that he would have been able to deal with no problem, in better days.

Syferus

The Albanians are really just a pressure point that brings what's been happening to Mullan for likely quite a while out into full view. It becomes less and less about them and honestly none of them are focused on as characters at any point - this is all about the family. It's an Alziemers drama on steroids.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Minder on February 22, 2013, 08:00:03 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 22, 2013, 12:57:50 AM

Robin Wright is still a tasty of stuff at 46.

+1

Main Street

Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2013, 12:19:37 AM
The Albanians are really just a pressure point that brings what's been happening to Mullan for likely quite a while out into full view. It becomes less and less about them and honestly none of them are focused on as characters at any point - this is all about the family. It's an Alziemers drama on steroids.
That's good to hear, I'll put the last 2 episodes on standby status.

BennyHarp

Has anybody watched Treme? The series that Eric Overmyers and David Simon created after The Wire. It's set in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Just wondered how it matched up in comparison to The Wire.

Apparently so

Suits is a fantastic show. Really enjoying the 2nd season so far. Some brilliant characters in it. I`m in love with Donna  :-*

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AFS

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 23, 2013, 01:02:26 PM
Has anybody watched Treme? The series that Eric Overmyers and David Simon created after The Wire. It's set in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Just wondered how it matched up in comparison to The Wire.

Watched the first series and the first few episodes of the second. Keep meaning to get caught up with it but there's always something else to get through first. Pretty good up to where I've left off, although probably not up at the same level as The Wire. From what I remember, it can be slow going at times so you'd have to be prepared for that. The music is class, the opening of the first episode is probably my favourite opening to any TV show.