TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on January 27, 2013, 08:19:36 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 23, 2013, 02:28:51 PM
Quote from: Rois on January 22, 2013, 11:32:07 PM
Anyone see Kevin Bacon's The Following on tonight? Wasn't entirely enjoying it at the start (I'm a fan of Criminal Minds where the serial killers are caught within the hour) but I'll def tune in next wk. Pretty intriguing.

Yes saw it last night Rois. I enjoyed it. I made sure all the doors were locked before heading to bed  :D
Just watched the first episode. Thought it was very good and something I will keep watching.
How was Belfast?

Rois

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 27, 2013, 07:33:24 PM
What's this Suits like? Might give it a watch if someone can post a link for streaming?

Aw Suits is class, I really enjoy it and glad Season 2 is back. Sorry, no streaming links.  Not exactly for the high brow tv snob though...

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 27, 2013, 09:11:30 PM
Anyone see Kevin Bacon's The Following on tonight? Wasn't entirely enjoying it at the start (I'm a fan of Criminal Minds where the serial killers are caught within the hour) but I'll def tune in next wk. Pretty intriguing.

Yes saw it last night Rois. I enjoyed it. I made sure all the doors were locked before heading to bed  :D
Just watched the first episode. Thought it was very good and something I will keep watching.
How was Belfast?

Ye are a right weird bunch up there.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rois

tyssam5

Quote from: Syferus on January 24, 2013, 12:34:54 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2013, 08:27:47 AM
Liked it but found it unnecessarily gory for tv. I don't mind a bit of gore but had a niggle that it was possibly going out of its way to be conrroversial.

There was a show called Revolution advertised during The Following. Anyone seen it?

How are you supposed to not be very gory when a killer is echoing Edgar Allan Poe poetry? It was hardly gore for gore's sake, it enhanced the story that was being told.

Nothing beyond what you'd see in Dexter, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones or any number of US or UK shows. It's when a show about serial killers gets sketchy about gore that my alarm bells start ringing.

If you're signing up for the premise you're signing up for some brutal deaths.

On the show itself, I found it very enjoyable and well put together. It's obviously a far-fetched concept but it's one with room for plenty of fun. Having Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy as the leads really is what makes the show, both fine actors and in Purefoy's case hugely under-rated. He was great as Mark Anthony in the Rome HBO/BBC series.

As long as they keep the focus on those two this show can get at least season or two of good material out of the concept, which is more than you can say for most network shows.

Ah, I knew I recognised him from somewhere, he has a good look for conveying extreme arrogance in both roles. Was a scary enough show!

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on January 16, 2013, 06:23:17 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 16, 2013, 03:47:47 PM
On the recommendation of those here, myself and herself have started watching Breaking Bad.

Awesome show.
Posted a few pages back but still worth a laugh......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIom3LSbB0I

Back to Ballina with you!!

Awesome show!

Best show since The Wire House.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Though last nights episode was good as well.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Puckoon

Started The West Wing this weekend and really liking it. It's not any kind of gripping drama or anything, but the characters make you want to continue to watch them. Great show.

screenexile

Quote from: Puckoon on January 30, 2013, 06:44:18 PM
Started The West Wing this weekend and really liking it. It's not any kind of gripping drama or anything, but the characters make you want to continue to watch them. Great show.

Top top show. The first 4 series are as good as you'll get anywhere. You like to think that's the way the White House is run but in all probablility it's not!

5 Sams

Quote from: screenexile on January 30, 2013, 06:52:49 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 30, 2013, 06:44:18 PM

Top top show. The first 4 series are as good as you'll get anywhere. You like to think that's the way the White House is run but in all probablility it's not!

+1 Some of the best TV ever made...great show.
The Aristocrat Years

JimStynes

Quote from: Rois on January 27, 2013, 09:21:35 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 27, 2013, 07:33:24 PM
What's this Suits like? Might give it a watch if someone can post a link for streaming?

Aw Suits is class, I really enjoy it and glad Season 2 is back. Sorry, no streaming links.  Not exactly for the high brow tv snob though...

Watched right up to the latest episode there. Class show. Harvey Spector is sum man!

nifan

Watched the pilot episode of a new show "the americans"
pretty good start, centers around a couple of kgb sleeper agents in the us at the beginning of the reagan years.

Billys Boots

Engrenages (Spirals) series four starts on Saturday night on BBC4 - have been waiting ages for this!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on February 05, 2013, 09:03:05 AM
Watched the pilot episode of a new show "the americans"
pretty good start, centers around a couple of kgb sleeper agents in the us at the beginning of the reagan years.
If you're interested in that sort of thing
There's an excellent French film,  Farewell (L'affaire Farewell) (2009) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/farewell_2010/ about a French engineer who was used as a go-between by a Soviet colonel to leak documents to the West, amongst which was a list of the entire Soviet spy network in the USA.
The French, Mitterrand, (regarded as commie by the Pentagon) then passed that info onto Reagan.
The basic facts of the story do hold water but of course it isn't wholly based on fact
As good as, or even better than Le Carre at his best.

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 05, 2013, 09:20:53 AM
Engrenages (Spirals) series four starts on Saturday night on BBC4 - have been waiting ages for this!
That's great news  and there's more good news, 12 episodes @ 55 minutes each episode, BBC4 will have 2 episodes back to back for 6 weeks.
It's going to be a long week in between. ;D