Minors 2016

Started by twohands!!!, April 13, 2016, 10:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 16, 2016, 05:22:25 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 16, 2016, 04:52:17 PM
An absolute disgrace from Kilkenny to send out a bunch of kids to be slaughtered like that, surely something has to be done to ensure that doesn't happen again. Biggest scoreline I've ever seen at a football match anyway.
And how strong would Wexford be at minor level this year?  Don't know how a County that can be so good at Hurling can then be so bad at football.

You answered it in one there!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 16, 2016, 04:10:50 PM
Ciaran Kelly and Jimmy Hyland continuing their form from last year by the looks of it, Kildare leading 2-13 to 7.

Yeah they're sharp but Brian McLoughlin is a terrific foil for them. He was the provider for a lot of their scores today.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Any other stand out performances?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 16, 2016, 06:20:28 PM
Any other stand out performances?

The two midfielders were solid as was Sam Doran. The backs were never really under pressure. I got the impression Kildare had more in the tank.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Good to hear, Wicklow probably a bit disappointing considering they have wins over Tipperary and Laois in the minor league this year.

Aaron Boone

Wexford look a team to follow, but they won't get it as handy the next day.

ONeill

What's really going on there? Are Kilkenny purposely not trying or are they genuinely that shite?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

galwayman

Kk football results are embarrassing to be sure.
But equally though if you were to take a county that is not strong at hurling and throw them into the minor A All Ireland hurling championship you'd get some serious whippings also.
Put a Sligo or Leitrim minor hurling team into a championship game against the likes of the Kilkenny or Galway minors and you'd have a big beating on your hands as well.
It's two sides of the same coin

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ONeill on April 16, 2016, 09:28:46 PM
What's really going on there? Are Kilkenny purposely not trying or are they genuinely that shite?
Has to be purposely. Even shite teams wouldn't concede that much or go a full game without scoring.

From the Bunker

Mayo don't take part in the All Ireland Minor Hurling series. Either do Roscommon, Leitrim, Sligo. I'm fairly sure Five or six don't get the chance in Ulster. So before we get worried about a Annual All Ireland winner in hurling not doing well at football. Lets look at the reversal of the situation in our own county - and see how much we really care.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 16, 2016, 10:56:35 PM
Mayo don't take part in the All Ireland Minor Hurling series. Either do Roscommon, Leitrim, Sligo. I'm fairly sure Five or six don't get the chance in Ulster. So before we get worried about a Annual All Ireland winner in hurling not doing well at football. Lets look at the reversal of the situation in our own county - and see how much we really care.

Here we give a hell of a lot more respect to hurling than Kilkenny does to football where they threat it as a bad joke. And I know for a fact how much it matters in Toreen and Ballyhaunis, so no, I don't really think there's any appropriate compassion for what Kilkenny are at.

There's a difference between not being A championship in a sport and giving it respect.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on April 16, 2016, 11:16:37 PM

Here we give a hell of a lot more respect to hurling than Kilkenny does to football where they threat it as a bad joke. And I know for a fact how much it matters in Toreen and Ballyhaunis, so no, I don't really think there's any appropriate compassion for what Kilkenny are at.

There's a difference between not being A championship in a sport and giving it respect.

But there is no 'B' or 'C' Minor championship in Hurling? I mean if you threw all the counties named above into an 'A' Championship they would get hidings of a Tsunami proportion. I could easily see a Galway Minor team beat a Mayo Minor team at Hurling by 71 points! But because of the grading system in place we don't get to see this gap!

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 16, 2016, 11:22:20 PM

But there is no 'B' or 'C' Minor championship in Hurling? I mean if you threw all the counties named above into an 'A' Championship they would get hidings of a Tsunami proportion. I could easily see a Galway Minor team beat a Mayo Minor team at Hurling by 71 points! But because of the grading system in place we don't get to see this gap!

There is zero way a properly prepared team loses a match by 17-20 to no score. Kilkenny didn't want to know. Talk of B championships is avoiding the salient point - a B championship is not going to make a boorish, anti-football crowd like Kilkenny try any harder.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on April 16, 2016, 11:24:13 PM

There is zero way a properly prepared team loses a match by 17-20 to no score. Kilkenny didn't want to know. Talk of B championships is avoiding the salient point - a B championship is not going to make a boorish, anti-football crowd like Kilkenny try any harder.

So what you are saying is that it's ok for Mayo and all of the rest mentioned above to hide away in a 'B' or 'C' Championship in Huring? But Kilkenny should get up to the mark and lose by about 10 to 15 points at best in an 'A' Championship?

Cunny Funt

I somewhat understand the point you are trying to make however it was Wexford that Kilkenny were playing a county that hasn't won a Leinster minor title since the 60s.