American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

I didn't say he wasn't - there aren't many professional athletes who aren't mercenaries though

gallsman

Quote from: Therealdonald on February 09, 2018, 05:49:43 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 09, 2018, 03:34:31 PM
Lebron is a way more talented player than Jordan, physically he is a total freak of nature. As an all-round player it's a much murkier discussion.

Name something that Lebron can do that MJ couldn't? Is Lebron indefinitely even better than Kobe?

There's nothing MJ could do that LeBron can't. Same goes in reverse. It's about what one could do better then the other.

Yes, he was definitely better than Kobe.

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on February 09, 2018, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 09, 2018, 06:21:42 PM

Hearsat Gabriel...pure hearsay...No denying Lebron being a mercenary though

A mercenary who went home and won his hometown team their first championship..

gallsman

Mercenary who took pay cuts to make sure teams could build around him.

Minder

You can't compare them, basketball bears no comparison now to when Jordan played, much tougher scoring then, a lot more contact. Remember the Pistons & Knicks of the early 90s?

Jordan also won DPOY I think

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on February 09, 2018, 08:32:37 PM
You can't compare them, basketball bears no comparison now to when Jordan played, much tougher scoring then, a lot more contact. Remember the Pistons & Knicks of the early 90s?

Jordan also won DPOY I think

Exactly. Guys actually played defence when Jordan played

gallsman

New look Cavs putting an absolute beating on the Celtics in Boston to spoil Paul Pierce's jersey retirement.

gallsman

Quote from: gallsman on November 20, 2017, 06:25:10 PM
http://amp.si.com/college-football/2017/11/16/shaquem-griffin-hand-ucf-nfl-draft

Pretty cool and inspiring story about Seahawks rookie CB Shaquill Griffin's brother, Shaquem. Hand his left hand amputated as a kid but was DPOY in the AAC last year and could well be in his way to the NFL

Lighting up the combine and a cert to get drafted. Great story.

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on March 05, 2018, 01:31:00 PM
http://amp.si.com/college-football/2017/11/16/shaquem-griffin-hand-ucf-nfl-draft

Pretty cool and inspiring story about Seahawks rookie CB Shaquill Griffin's brother, Shaquem. Hand his left hand amputated as a kid but was DPOY in the AAC last year and could well be in his way to the NFL

Absolutely amazing. Fair play to the lad.....some story. 4.38 speed at that size. Mental.

Saquon Barkley had some combine too. Outrageous athlete. I wonder are Cleveland still feeling burnt by the Trent Richardson experience or do they take this guy.

Clov

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 05, 2018, 02:49:41 PM

Absolutely amazing. Fair play to the lad.....some story. 4.38 speed at that size. Mental.

Saquon Barkley had some combine too. Outrageous athlete. I wonder are Cleveland still feeling burnt by the Trent Richardson experience or do they take this guy.

I haven't seen Saquon Barkley play so this isn't a well informed opinion but i'd be amazed if the Browns (or anyone else for that matter) took a RB first overall. Serviceable running backs are two a penny in the later rounds of the draft. I think the Browns have passed on one too many QBs in recent years to not take a QB with the first pick. Unless of course they land Cousins in which case they might trade down.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Syferus

Quote from: Clov on March 05, 2018, 03:59:12 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 05, 2018, 02:49:41 PM

I haven't seen Saquon Barkley play so this isn't a well informed opinion but i'd be amazed if the Browns (or anyone else for that matter) took a RB first overall. Serviceable running backs are two a penny in the later rounds of the draft. I think the Browns have passed on one too many QBs in recent years to not take a QB with the first pick. Unless of course they land Cousins in which case they might trade down.

Jacksonville rode Fourentte all the way from being a joke franchise to the second test team in the AFC last year. All with the black hole that was Blake Bortles at QB too.

Generational RBs are worth a high pick. Cleveland can grab a QB and RB in the first and be set at two key positions for years to come and having both complimenting each other. With the success Prescott and Elliott have had I wouldn't be surprised.

AZOffaly

I think that's it. They have first and fourth right? They can pick Barkley first and still get a good QB at 4. But they'll need someone to bridge until the Rookie is ready at QB unless they want to fire him in. Maybe Kizer can do a holding job.

Clov

I think it is probably more accurate to say Jacksonville rode their defense to the championship game. Fournette had a good season though arguably 2 later round picks (Kamara and Hunt) had better seasons. I don't think Fournette was worth the 4th overall pick.

Having so much draft capital and needs at nearly every position does give the Browns the option of going with the 'best player available' approach though. I just think the upgrade an elite RB gives you over a serviceable back is not as great or as transformative as as the upgrade you get with other positions - QB being the obvious one, but also edge rusher, left tackle, inside rusher, CB and even WR. The running back position is relatively less valuable than each of these positions in the NFL imo.

May be some evaluators think Barkley is a Walter Payton or Barry Sanders level talent, in which case he might go 1st overall. I suspect they'll either take a QB first or trade out of their with someone looking a QB.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Syferus

Quote from: Clov on March 05, 2018, 06:44:33 PM
I think it is probably more accurate to say Jacksonville rode their defense to the championship game. Fournette had a good season though arguably 2 later round picks (Kamara and Hunt) had better seasons. I don't think Fournette was worth the 4th overall pick.

Having so much draft capital and needs at nearly every position does give the Browns the option of going with the 'best player available' approach though. I just think the upgrade an elite RB gives you over a serviceable back is not as great or as transformative as as the upgrade you get with other positions - QB being the obvious one, but also edge rusher, left tackle, inside rusher, CB and even WR. The running back position is relatively less valuable than each of these positions in the NFL imo.

May be some evaluators think Barkley is a Walter Payton or Barry Sanders level talent, in which case he might go 1st overall. I suspect they'll either take a QB first or trade out of their with someone looking a QB.

The time Fournette ate up rested the defense. Continual 3 and outs on offence will destroy even the best defense in history.

It's no coincidence that most of that defence was in place in 2016 but it wasn't until Fournette got the running game going and upped their time of possession that things really clicked on defense. Kamara and Hunt would have been destroyed by Fournette's workload last season. Very different types of players. It's also a hell of a lot easier to run when you've Drew Brees and Mark Ingram around you..

Clov

Quote from: Syferus on March 05, 2018, 06:50:04 PM
Quote from: Clov on March 05, 2018, 06:44:33 PM

The time Fournette ate up rested the defense. Continual 3 and outs on offence will destroy even the best defense in history.

It's no coincidence that most of that defence was in place in 2016 but it wasn't until Fournette got the running game going and upped their time of possession that things really clicked on defense. Kamara and Hunt would have been destroyed by Fournette's workload last season. Very different types of players. It's also a hell of a lot easier to run when you've Drew Brees and Mark Ingram around you..

The jags were 18th in plays per drive last season. Up from 20th in plays per drive the season before. Not much evidence of the offense taking the weight of the defense with the addition of Fournette there.
Hunt had more carries than Fournette and gained a whole yard per carry more than him. He also had more receptions.

Fournette is a good player and contributed to the Jags success this year no doubt. Its a bit silly though to imply that he turned their defense into the league leader.