GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: larryin89 on April 13, 2020, 04:04:11 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 13, 2020, 03:48:45 PM
Simon Harris says social distancing will continue in Ireland until a vaccine available. Unless the GAA Championship is played with near empty stadiums it's looking more and more likely that we won't have a 2020 championship.

Exactly what I’m trying to say and most likely no league nor championship in 2021 either with a possibility of 2022 a no go too , if it’s a vaccine that’s required . A vaccine has not been past test stage yet , I’m reading  some reports that it takes up to three years . No report has mentioned a more optimistic time frame than 12-18 months and then you have to manufacture and distribute world wide . If all this is true how could a championship be possible for next summer ?

One would hope by next year there is a better control community spread. Acting much faster on testing, contact tracing, and isolation.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 13, 2020, 04:34:30 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 13, 2020, 04:04:11 PM
Simon Harris says social distancing will continue in Ireland until a vaccine available. Unless the GAA Championship is played with near empty stadiums it's looking more and more likely that we won't have a 2020 championship.

Exactly what I'm trying to say and most likely no league nor championship in 2021 either with a possibility of 2022 a no go too , if it's a vaccine that's required . A vaccine has not been past test stage yet , I'm reading  some reports that it takes up to three years . No report has mentioned a more optimistic time frame than 12-18 months and then you have to manufacture and distribute world wide . If all this is true how could a championship be possible for next summer ?

One would hope by next year there is a better control community spread. Acting much faster on testing, contact tracing, and isolation.

Even still, what would happen if the games start back and a county player (or manager) contracts the virus? Would the competition just be suspended while that panel goes into 2 weeks quarantine?

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Angelo

It's proper order.

Look, we'd all love to have it this year but there are more important things and I think any sanitised version of the game won't be worth. Pause and reset for 2021.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

There is also the small matter of the players would also need to social distance so there would be no game to play!!

Captain Scarlet

How late could we go to get some club action in?
Like there have been county finals galore in October and the crowds would not be as much of an issue.
I don't expect it, but would love to see some action.

Even as a club fundrasier comp around Christmas to blast off the cobwebs.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

larryin89

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 14, 2020, 09:41:11 AM
How late could we go to get some club action in?
Like there have been county finals galore in October and the crowds would not be as much of an issue.
I don't expect it, but would love to see some action.

Even as a club fundrasier comp around Christmas to blast off the cobwebs.

This is where I don't get it , not saying you're wrong , I just don't get what people are saying , there's always contradiction.

Do we need a vaccine or not ? You can't say on one hand we need a vaccine until then social distancing will have to be adhered to but thirty footballers can go out and exchange blows , sweat , blood etc . That can't work.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rudi

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2020, 07:17:52 PM
There is also the small matter of the players would also need to social distance so there would be no game to play!!

Tyrone could never manage this, they would have to be pulling out of ya some way.

Rossfan

Doubtful we'll see any team contact sports happening this year at all.
Golf at basic social level will probably get the go ahead and maybe horse racing with no spectators.
After that maybe top level soccer on TV also without spectators...
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on April 14, 2020, 11:59:32 AM
Golf at basic social level will probably get the go ahead and maybe horse racing with no spectators.
it travels by breath mainly not blood sp even when some one Blows hard on Soccer players not only are they in danger of serious Physical  harm but  from
the Virus as well
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

marty34

Quote from: rosnarun on April 14, 2020, 04:12:12 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 14, 2020, 11:59:32 AM
it travels by breath mainly not blood sp even when some one Blows hard on Soccer players not only are they in danger of serious Physical  harm but  from
the Virus as well

And the way things have gone this past couple of years - gaelic players could be in difficulty also.

Hurlers are exempt of course!

Smurfy123

Something has to give lads. A vaccine may take 18 months. Bars schools clubs parks building sites are going to have to open sometimes. Older people just need to watch themselves and isolate as much as possible until a vaccine is ready. But to stop the whole country for 18 months at least will have a devastating affect on everyone. Club football should be told to go ahead when they have it under control. Keep up with the social distance stuff as best we can. Something has to give

oneclubonelife

I know we all would love to get back out on to the pitch but can we really expect players/members to go into changing rooms/ gyms to get the season underway. I personally cannot see how season can be played this year unless all are tested on a regular basis. The chance of one death is one to many

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 14, 2020, 05:58:10 PM
Something has to give lads. A vaccine may take 18 months. Bars schools clubs parks building sites are going to have to open sometimes. Older people just need to watch themselves and isolate as much as possible until a vaccine is ready. But to stop the whole country for 18 months at least will have a devastating affect on everyone. Club football should be told to go ahead when they have it under control. Keep up with the social distance stuff as best we can. Something has to give

I can understand the need to get the economy moving again, but club football strikes me as being far down the list of things we need to get started again.