Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

They are do or die full stop.
Loser is finished for the year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

I think the  gaa should maybe give a deadline of sometime in november to complete and commit to open 32 team knockout

hurling could go 16 team knockout maybe  or make hurling 32 teams aswell that could bring some hurling attention to smaller counties

Eire90

tho tyrone v kilkenny at hurling would be absolute bloodbath but thats luck of draw but tyrone hurlers would have opportunity to say they played kilkenny

larryin89

Straight forward questions been answered would give everyone a clearer picture.

Do we need a vaccine in order to have mass gatherings of more than 500( inter county football ) If the answer is yes , then life is over as we knew it for probably about three years , very sad and all that but at least everyone could get used of it .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on April 13, 2020, 11:25:23 AM
Straight forward questions been answered would give everyone a clearer picture.

Do we need a vaccine in order to have mass gatherings of more than 500( inter county football ) If the answer is yes , then life is over as we knew it for probably about three years , very sad and all that but at least everyone could get used of it .

We need a vaccine. What we are at now is buying time and curtailing mass death and suffering.  Usually these types of things take 18 months? But necessity is the mother of invention and they are hoping for a fast track 9 month solution. For the moment we are only kicking the can down the road.

imtommygunn

Yeah I think this too. Not three years though. Predictions are August 2021. Vaccine produced and mass produced two different timelines I suspect.

Rossfan

What gives me a pain is County team managers ( Graham, Bonber, Kingston...) calling on the GAA to give them certainty as to when the Inter County Championships will be held.
Cop on lads...they may be all powerful but ye might have noticed there's an oul virus about that they have no control over.

larryin89

No you are wrong , if we need a vaccine and then the distribution of vaccine worldwide then there will definitely be no championship this year or next year . Every single report is saying 12-18 months minimum for vaccine and you'd hazard a guess another few months minimum to manufacture and distribute. If what you guys are saying is true ie mass gatherings depending on this , then not only is county football snookered what about professional sport across the globe ?

I have pictures today of highway/road workers from across the uk all gathered together working away . What I'm saying is there is a lot of contradiction in what's been said and done . Reports of some soccer teams returning to collective training in parts of Europe too ?

magpie seanie

Number 1 thing that's needed is freely available testing with a rapid result turnaround. Number 2 is certainty about "immunity" for those who have had it. Number 3 is an antibody test widely available.

Widely available vaccine would be next summer at best.

armaghniac

Quote from: larryin89 on April 13, 2020, 01:27:16 PM
I have pictures today of highway/road workers from across the uk all gathered together working away . What I'm saying is there is a lot of contradiction in what's been said and done . Reports of some soccer teams returning to collective training in parts of Europe too ?

Outdoor construction is fairly safe and arguably the government should repair the roads when traffic is so light. Many sports involve deliberately trying to get close to people and this is a different proposition.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2020, 01:07:33 PM
Yeah I think this too. Not three years though. Predictions are August 2021. Vaccine produced and mass produced two different timelines I suspect.
Production of billions of vials of a yet undeveloped vaccine without disrupting supplies of already important vaccines is a massive undertaking which I can't see being ready even by next summer. Wherever it is developed you would think ir will have to be manufactured at scale in facilities globally. I don't see where they get the capacity from without dropping existing lines.

larryin89

Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2020, 03:32:01 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 13, 2020, 01:27:16 PM

Outdoor construction is fairly safe and arguably the government should repair the roads when traffic is so light. Many sports involve deliberately trying to get close to people and this is a different proposition.

So social distancing is not necessary? These workmen were all bunched together . Also I work in construction so obviously have experience, how would you propose using shared power tools , shovels , barrow etc etc , wipe them down every time they are used ?

Captain Obvious

Simon Harris says social distancing will continue in Ireland until a vaccine available. Unless the GAA Championship is played with near empty stadiums it's looking more and more likely that we won't have a 2020 championship.

Rossfan

It is indeed.
Dr Henry one of the HSE chiefs says no point in beating down "the curve" and then filling beaches, sports stadiums etc .
Might also not allow any contact team sports at all.

larryin89

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 13, 2020, 03:48:45 PM
Simon Harris says social distancing will continue in Ireland until a vaccine available. Unless the GAA Championship is played with near empty stadiums it's looking more and more likely that we won't have a 2020 championship.

Exactly what I'm trying to say and most likely no league nor championship in 2021 either with a possibility of 2022 a no go too , if it's a vaccine that's required . A vaccine has not been past test stage yet , I'm reading  some reports that it takes up to three years . No report has mentioned a more optimistic time frame than 12-18 months and then you have to manufacture and distribute world wide . If all this is true how could a championship be possible for next summer ?