The vaccine rollout

Started by Smurfy123, December 30, 2020, 09:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

armaghniac

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 16, 2021, 04:26:10 PM
Is it the one that requires just one dose and provides around 70% protection?  It would be a game changer in terms of numbers but depends of quantity available as you say. 

Is it only in Europe that they have applied for approval ?

They had already applied to the FDA in the US. Not sure about the UK.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

South Laois man

J and J haven't applied in the UK. 70% effective over all. 100% effective for serious illness and keeping people out of hospital. This really could be the game changer.

God14

Quote from: South Laois man on February 16, 2021, 05:50:04 PM
J and J haven't applied in the UK. 70% effective over all. 100% effective for serious illness and keeping people out of hospital. This really could be the game changer.

The Janssen vaccine is also currently in a rolling review with the UKs MHRA. The Brits have ordered 30M doses, with options for more. Novavax vaccine is also currently in a rolling review, so it seems like a matter of which of the two will be approved first
My money is on Novavax as its to be manufactured in England

armaghniac

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0219/1198121-coronavirus-vaccine/

Reported from Israel that the Pfizer vaccine is 85% effective 4 weeks after one dose, which is pretty good news. Perhaps in Ireland we should only be giving one dose once we get past the most vulnerable groups and then give a second dose as a booster in the Autumn when the vaccine has been tuned to the new variants?

Also Pfizer now believe that the vaccine can be stored for two weeks at -20C, which is readily available in pharmacies etc, so making it easier to distribute. So you keep it in the -70C centrally and the send it to the pharmacy who have 10 days to inject it into people.

There has been delays, but vaccination is going to get going big time shortly.

Milltown Row2

7 weeks in and numbers still high but going in the right direction, but WTF are people doing that is making these numbers still high for a 7 week period of lockdown?

We even had the cops call to the street this week and gave out fines. Not sure who touted but the lad in question went round a few houses to get the snitch!

But I'd have thought the same family would be supporting the lockdown measures, so you just don't know!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2021, 06:21:13 PM
7 weeks in and numbers still high but going in the right direction, but WTF are people doing that is making these numbers still high for a 7 week period of lockdown?

We even had the cops call to the street this week and gave out fines. Not sure who touted but the lad in question went round a few houses to get the snitch!

But I'd have thought the same family would be supporting the lockdown measures, so you just don't know!

The numbers are now the same north and south and are declining slowly.
I don't know about the north, but in the south the usual suspects of meat plants and students contributed quite a few cases lately. A lot of people are either ignoring the rules or taking chances.

Angelo

Maybe you are a bit of a slow learner but good to see you finally realise Lockdowns do not work.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on February 19, 2021, 06:29:28 PM

Maybe you are a bit of a slow learner but good to see you finally realise Lockdowns do not work.

No I think it's arseholes running around thinking it's a hoax and that's it seasonal and those images of ICU beds are fake news.... do you know any of those cockheads?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on February 19, 2021, 06:17:09 PM

Reported from Israel that the Pfizer vaccine is 85% effective 4 weeks after one dose, which is pretty good news. Perhaps in Ireland we should only be giving one dose once we get past the most vulnerable groups and then give a second dose as a booster in the Autumn when the vaccine has been tuned to the new variants?

Also Pfizer now believe that the vaccine can be stored for two weeks at -20C, which is readily available in pharmacies etc, so making it easier to distribute. So you keep it in the -70C centrally and the send it to the pharmacy who have 10 days to inject it into people.

Reading today it's not great with the South African variant, that's it & Oxford both, not such good news if it became the dominant strain. It would explain why the UK Government have being going hard to stomp that particular variant out.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on February 19, 2021, 06:57:04 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 19, 2021, 06:17:09 PM

Reading today it's not great with the South African variant, that's it & Oxford both, not such good news if it became the dominant strain. It would explain why the UK Government have being going hard to stomp that particular variant out.

The "British" variant is more infectious and slightly more dangerous and it is the variant getting around, the South African one is more dangerous but fortunately not more infectious than the original. The problem is that if the SA variant is different enough to reinfect people with the British variant then it could still come around it is not stamped out.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2021, 06:39:33 PM

No I think it's arseholes running around thinking it's a hoax and that's it seasonal and those images of ICU beds are fake news.... do you know any of those cockheads?

Who thinks it's a hoax?

ONeill

Sadly, a right few don't believe it is all that bad a virus. Those numbers are growing.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RedHand88

Quote from: Angelo on February 19, 2021, 07:37:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2021, 06:39:33 PM

Who thinks it's a hoax?

Plenty of balloons.

Angelo

Quote from: ONeill on February 19, 2021, 09:26:44 PM
Sadly, a right few don't believe it is all that bad a virus. Those numbers are growing.

It's a bad virus if you have underlying conditions or are elderly.

Outside of that the data says it is not a threat on your life.