Tony Baloney

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 31, 2020, 05:35:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 31, 2020, 12:35:14 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 31, 2020, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: lenny on December 31, 2020, 09:20:17 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 30, 2020, 10:53:20 PM
Quote from: delgany on December 30, 2020, 10:23:37 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 30, 2020, 10:21:46 PM
I think you'll be surprised at the amount of people, including the elderly have no interest in getting it.

Dead on ..... they prefer to take their chances with a fatal disease.

If you want to get sarky, deadly for approximately 2%.

It's not just the deaths. Lots of people have been left as invalids or with life changing conditions as a result of COVID. Anyone refusing the vaccine is extremely foolish and reckless with their own health and the health of their close contacts.

Fair enough point, not really going to argue it. I'm not an anti Vaxxer or believe there is anything untoward in the jab, just presented my real life findings as opposed to anything I personally may believe.

But I can tell you this board does not reflect real life opinion I've come across from a variety of walks of life. The majority are anti lockdown and fairly uncommittal on the vaccine "I wouldn't really be needing it" was one I heard from someone in their 60s believe it or not. You have to respect that every individual reserves the right to take or not take a vaccine, I wouldn't be quick to label them foolish or reckless.
Spain are considering registering the unvaccinated.These details could be shared with other countries.

I'd be of the opinion that if the vaccine was made available and you refused you should be put up the yard if you subsequently required hospital treatment. Also, the vaccine isn't just about preventing deaths in the elderly, there is an economic benefit too as people won't have to take time off work in the event of being symptomatic. I honestly don't see a downside to it. An expert (a proper one - not a chemical engineer) said that if most people take the jab which will reduce symptoms it therefore reduces the prevalence of the virus and therefore is more likely to die out.If they don't on the basis that they believe they don't need it, not an unfair assessment, the prevalence remains and therefore the risk of further mutation not covered by the vaccines. People need to stop thinking about their own selfish needs and think of the big picture.

For talk sake......and if there turns out to be some side effect from the vaccine in X years?
So don't bother in case there is a long term side effect? If there were no side effects everyone would feel a bit foolish about the hundreds of thousands/millions of dead people in the intervening period. Scientists I.e. people who know what they are doing have practically unlimited investment with unfettered access to intellectual property and technology on a global basis - the development from the Covid sequence has been practically unparalleled so I don't know why people are sceptical of a vaccine which (for the majority of cases) does not introduce the live virus and has the potential to do more good than harm. EVERY medicinal product on the market has a list of potential side effects from mild to serious adverse reaction so there is an element of risk with all of them.

Rossfan

If you read the stuff that comes with every medication you'd take none of them!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rossfan on December 31, 2020, 07:32:53 PM
Exactly.

Smurfy123

North of Ireland 40000 vaccines administered
South of Ireland 1800 vaccines administered

I sense another absolute ballsup from both

PadraicHenryPearse

my sister is one of those 1800...

balls up? It depends on what you expect vs the roll out plan vs what actually happens.

armaghniac

One problem is that people are talking about Thalidomide, dodgy experiments in the 1930s or even the Swine Flu vaccine. But the point is that lessons were learned from all these things, flying on an Airbus 320 Neo is not the same as a De Haviiand Comet Mk1 because lessons were learned. There are several vaccines, using different approaches, and you cannot logically tar them all with the same brush.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

David McKeown

I see the week before Christmas Northern Ireland was by population the most vaccinated country in the world at about 1.8% (ignoring the obvious issue about the correctness of the term country)I wonder if that's still the case?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: David McKeown on January 01, 2021, 04:19:59 PM
I see the week before Christmas Northern Ireland was by population the most vaccinated country in the world at about 1.8% (ignoring the obvious issue about the correctness of the term country)I wonder if that's still the case?

I think Bahrain and maybe another country had edged ahead.
I read data to say that the 80+ population in Northern Ireland is very small so potentially NI could have the over 80s covered before any other country. The same source showed a chart that indicated positive cases in over 80s was dropping already.

Hopefully that remains the case.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Rossfan on December 31, 2020, 07:32:53 PM

Spot on - to say they err on the side of caution is an understatement
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

weareros

Quote from: David McKeown on January 01, 2021, 04:19:59 PM

Israel is well ahead of every country. They don't mess around.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita

Smurfy123

Israel moving well. They will be out of danger totally in 4 weeks
Can't get my head around the people who continue to say sure we don't know if it's stops transmission onto others. It really doesn't matter if it does or not. If you vaccinate all over 60s and the most vulnerable let it spread away. A small amount below 60 need hospital admission

sid waddell

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 01, 2021, 10:28:22 PM
Israel moving well. They will be out of danger totally in 4 weeks
Can't get my head around the people who continue to say sure we don't know if it's stops transmission onto others. It really doesn't matter if it does or not. If you vaccinate all over 60s and the most vulnerable let it spread away. A small amount below 60 need hospital admission
It does matter because if it doesn't stop transmission then the virus will never go away and you'd probably end up having to continually re-vaccinate the population as immunity progressively wears off - it's going to be difficult enough to vaccinate 80% or more of the population once

The soundings are good re the vaccine significantly inhibiting transmission so hopefully this situation can be avoided

Also I don't think we want the virus running rampant even among under 70s, that could also put enough people in hospital to overwhelm the health system, it's not a cold and it's not a flu, it's a serious virus

Smurfy123

Sid let's respect ye virus but it is not a deadly virus to anyone below 50

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 01, 2021, 10:58:05 PM
Sid let's respect ye virus but it is not a deadly virus to anyone below 50

i had an ex colleague aged in his early 30s who died.

Smurfy123