Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2021, 06:42:33 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 14, 2021, 05:26:38 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2021, 04:46:48 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 14, 2021, 04:22:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 13, 2021, 11:49:07 PM
Cork have 23,000 most of which would be hurling.
There are more than 156,000 people on Cork.

Incorrect.

There are 33,832 registerd players in Cork versus 39,197 in Dublin

6.2% of the population of Cork are registered GAA players. Leitrim 11.4%. Kerry 9.9%.  Dublin  2.9%

The weight of numbers argument is a myth

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/gaa-investment-in-dublin-348120

So why are 33,832 registered players in Cork given less money for development versus 39,197 in Dublin?

What is the logic?
The numbers are the logic. They're trying to increase playing numbers in Dublin.

And are they? Or are they making elite players and clubs out the huge funding?

I don't think its working in that narrow sense but the money is going into schools especially in areas with no tradition of Gaelic games. We work in a very different environment and huge resources need to be spent just to stand still

But the point I am making is while Dublin has the 'most playiers' it is very low in the % list. There simply aren't the numbers playing that some are claiming.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 14, 2021, 07:05:31 PM

Incorrect.

6.2% of the population of Cork are registered GAA players. Leitrim 11.4%. Kerry 9.9%.  Dublin  2.9%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/gaa-investment-in-dublin-348120

So why are 33,832 registered players in Cork given less money for development versus 39,197 in Dublin?

What is the logic?
The numbers are the logic. They're trying to increase playing numbers in Dublin.

I don't think its working in that narrow sense but the money is going into schools especially in areas with no tradition of Gaelic games. We work in a very different environment and huge resources need to be spent just to stand still

But the point I am making is while Dublin has the 'most playiers' it is very low in the % list. There simply aren't the numbers playing that some are claiming.

So the GAA are paying over the odds to hold onto club players and keep clubs going? There is no real growth? Are you saying there are less than 39k now?

Rossfan

If they were split into 4 County Boards they'd have to get off their fat arses and get more playing the games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on February 14, 2021, 07:59:08 PM
If they were split into 4 County Boards they'd have to get off their fat arses and get more playing the games.

But what they have now is easier. They will always have potentially more people that could be playing. So they can just eternally sell that to get the big money. The present system allows them to have Elite Clubs without doing to much work on fundraising.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2021, 07:30:30 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 14, 2021, 07:05:31 PM

Incorrect.

What is the logic?

So the GAA are paying over the odds to hold onto club players and keep clubs going? There is no real growth? Are you saying there are less than 39k now?

Yes. Hard to tell, but its an investment in the future. No idea.

Rossfan

Ed Ricketts

Incorrect.

Where can this registered player data be found? Is it consistent across the country?

Would be very interesting to delve deeper into it. Initial reaction would be that numbers seem to be inflated for a number of counties.

Back of an envelop calculation for Armagh would mean about 1 in 4 of every man, woman and child (of nationalist persuasion) between the ages of 4 and 40 are registered 'players' - my personal experience would suggest that this is a gross exaggeration.

I'm sure clubs in certain areas and jurisdictions have reasons for inflating playing memberships - but that might mean this data is not reliable for use in the context of the discussion on this thread.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Rossfan

Probably find it in the Annual report to Congress?

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Rossfan on February 15, 2021, 12:57:35 PM
Probably find it in the Annual report to Congress?

Had a quick look there, but couldn't find anything. Maybe someone else will have more joy.

Sources for figures like this are difficult to find. Typically, it's an unsubstantiated tweet or some sketchy article that gets thrown up in support of an argument. Very frustrating, as without this data it becomes impossible to have a discussion of any real substance.

It's all just shite talk without the numbers.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Rossfan

I have a page from a Congress report somewhere that has figures on it but it's from around 2014/15.
Some other figures going back a bit but telling!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.researchgate.net/figure/Games-development-money-received-from-GAA-per-registered-player-in-a-county_fig1_308516324/amp

Rossfan

TheGreatest

Not to go over old ground, a lot of good points made above, but the development money is not just per head registered club player.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Rossfan on February 15, 2021, 03:36:09 PM
I have a page from a Congress report somewhere that has figures on it but it's from around 2014/15.
Some other figures going back a bit but telling!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.researchgate.net/figure/Games-development-money-received-from-GAA-per-registered-player-in-a-county_fig1_308516324/amp

Quote from: Rossfan on February 15, 2021, 03:42:54 PM
Maybe this is what I was thinking about

These figures are from the same guy, who seems to have been producing papers out of at Tallaght IT in and around 2015. There's no reason to doubt his numbers, but he doesn't really reference his sources other than to throw up a link for the GAA Reports to Congress. Not sure about these reports in the past, but those from recent years don't carry the figures.

So we have very little reliable recent data to inform the conversation. Which is a real shame, because there's a very important conversation to be had here.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on February 15, 2021, 12:45:04 PM

Incorrect.

Where can this registered player data be found? Is it consistent across the country?

Would be very interesting to delve deeper into it. Initial reaction would be that numbers seem to be inflated for a number of counties.

Back of an envelop calculation for Armagh would mean about 1 in 4 of every man, woman and child (of nationalist persuasion) between the ages of 4 and 40 are registered 'players' - my personal experience would suggest that this is a gross exaggeration.

I'm sure clubs in certain areas and jurisdictions have reasons for inflating playing memberships - but that might mean this data is not reliable for use in the context of the discussion on this thread.

Agreed but its the best I can find.

My point does remain though. Dublins population advantage does not reflect in playing numbers.  How many of the 1.4m are our country cousins who go home to play? Penetration into the immigrant communities is understandably difficult.

A lot of Dublin gaelic games was around schools then headhunt to clubs. Certainly was for me. Even the Brothers allow soccer now, so this spending is getting back in there

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 16, 2021, 04:13:58 AM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on February 15, 2021, 12:45:04 PM

Incorrect.

Agreed but its the best I can find.

My point does remain though. Dublins population advantage does not reflect in playing numbers.  How many of the 1.4m are our country cousins who go home to play? Penetration into the immigrant communities is understandably difficult.

A lot of Dublin gaelic games was around schools then headhunt to clubs. Certainly was for me. Even the Brothers allow soccer now, so this spending is getting back in there
Agreed on all counts but serious problems still remain.
THe Brothers and the INTO have been heavily promoting Gaelic games at Primary school                                         level for decades.  Until recent times soccer was not played on an organised basis at this level.
The results of those volunteers can be seen every year in Parnell Park when the finals of Cumann na mBunscol competitions are played.
Those finals go on for several weeks and busloads of revved supporters arrive in coach loads.
Yet the number who join Gaelic clubs are very small and the numbers who remain with the clubs after leaving Primary School are even smaller.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi