One for the mathematical genuises out there!!

Started by Bogball XV, July 04, 2007, 11:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Okay lads,
I have 50 numbers, I need to know how to calculate every possible combination of these 50 numbers - obviously there are quite a few combinations, so I'm presuming that there must be some software out there that can do this for me - anyone got any suggestions?

girt_giggler

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 04, 2007, 11:12:07 AM
Okay lads,
I have 50 numbers, I need to know how to calculate every possible combination of these 50 numbers - obviously there are quite a few combinations, so I'm presuming that there must be some software out there that can do this for me - anyone got any suggestions?
Do you want to know about many combinations there are if so get a scientific calculator and hit the NPC button , which gives you combinations .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bogball XV

Quote from: girt_giggler on July 04, 2007, 11:20:42 AM
pen paper trial error
Cheers, but I've been trying that for a while now - not getting anywhere!!  It's not as stipid as it sounds, as theoretically I can eliminate quite a few of the combinations, unfortunately, theoretically ain't working anymore!!
Quote from: Gnevin on July 04, 2007, 11:23:44 AM
Okay lads,
Do you want to know about many combinations there are if so get a scientific calculator and hit the NPC button , which gives you combinations .
It's not the number of combinations I need, but some fecker who work them all out for me - but thanks all the same!

thewobbler

Seeing as there are 49 numbers in the British lotto and the odds of winning that are 1 in 13,983,816.  You could use that as a starting point.

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 04, 2007, 11:28:02 AM
pen paper trial error
Cheers, but I've been trying that for a while now - not getting anywhere!!  It's not as stipid as it sounds, as theoretically I can eliminate quite a few of the combinations, unfortunately, theoretically ain't working anymore!!
Okay lads,
It's not the number of combinations I need, but some fecker who work them all out for me - but thanks all the same!
I could properly throw something together in .net for you but as someone says their over 13 million i don't think the pc could handle that
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on July 04, 2007, 12:04:22 PM
pen paper trial error
Okay lads,
I could properly throw something together in .net for you but as someone says their over 13 million i don't think the pc could handle that
Anything, would be a help, I can actually eliminate quite a few combinations, I reckon I actually have only a few thousand at this stage - that's assuming that I have eliminated numbers correctly at this stage, as hopefully, I've been able to get rid of approx 30 - 40 of the numbers.

nifan

what are you trying to do?
do you need cominations or permutations (ie does 1 2 3 = 3 2 1 or not?)

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 04, 2007, 12:22:27 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 04, 2007, 12:04:22 PM
pen paper trial error
Okay lads,
Anything, would be a help, I can actually eliminate quite a few combinations, I reckon I actually have only a few thousand at this stage - that's assuming that I have eliminated numbers correctly at this stage, as hopefully, I've been able to get rid of approx 30 - 40 of the numbers.
How many are you picking eg 50 pick 40 or ?

Bogball XV

Essentially I have 50 numbers, a combination of some of the numbers within those 50 numbers equals an end value that I have to arrive at.  I do not know how many of the numbers are included in the combination, but if I were able to calculate all the combinations that arrive at my end number, I could determine what the correct combination is - not sure if this is making sense.
Essentially, pretend I have the following:
20, 30, 45, 77, 68, 98, 43.50, 52.5, 67.9
I know that a combination of some of those numbers gives me 245.5 - but I don't know which of the numbers gives me that, or how many of those numbers have been combined to give me that total - obviously in this example it's quite simple, mine has quite a few more possible combinations - and I'm not particularly mathematical.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on July 04, 2007, 12:29:31 PMHow many are you picking eg 50 pick 40 or ?
I would say that I have 23 numbers that I can't definitively eliminate - one combination of some of those 23 numbers should be a direct hit for the value I need (which I know, obviously).

Square Ball

is it 50x49x48x47..........x2x1

a hell od a lot of combinations me thinks
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

armaghniac

I can't quite see what the question here is exactly. You have 50 numbers you can use, some number of these add up to something, how many can you use, or can you use as many as you want.

Write a computer program and simulate it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

shotstopper1

Quote from: Square Ball on July 04, 2007, 04:56:13 PM
is it 50x49x48x47..........x2x1

a hell od a lot of combinations me thinks

That would be permutations I think,

Combinations would be like the Lotto eg 6 numbers outta 49. This is worked out by multiplying 49x48x47x46x45x44 and dividing the answer by the sum of 6x5x4x3x2x1

I still don't think this is what Bogball is trying to get at, it seems he has a total but in some way needs numbers to make up that total, and  by his example he's using up to one decimal place.

nifan

list the numbers and the desired solution bogball