Belfast hotel sued over All-Ireland coverage

Started by clarshack, October 03, 2008, 11:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Belfast hotel sued over All-Ireland coverage
Friday, 3 October 2008 17:40

A five-star Belfast hotel is being sued over claims it refused to show last month's All-Ireland football final on television.

Damages are being sought from the Hilton Hotel following allegations that staff told customers the Tyrone-Kerry match would not be screened.

Brian Corey, a GAA fan from the Ormeau Road in Belfast, claims the refusal to show the match was an affront to his dignity and national identity.

His solicitor has now gone to court seeking damages, claiming a breach of the law covering services provided by hotels.

The Hilton has rejected any suggestion of discrimination.

A spokeswoman said they were unable to show the All-Ireland final as they were already screening a football match between Chelsea and Manchester United.

She said this was linked to a food and beverage promotion in the hotel, which a number of guests were enjoying at the time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1003/gaa.html

ziggysego

hardstation, you should have invited him round to watch the game.
Testing Accessibility

Fear Boirche

A rather flimsy excuse. The Chelsea-Man United game kicked off at 2pm and was over by about 3.45. There's no reason they couldn't have shown the Tyrone-Kerry match.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yes, that an establishment would refuse to show the game, on one of their many devices, is something that should be challenged and challenged robustly. F*ck the Hilton, Gaels take note.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

give her dixie

They must have had a sh1t load of Dublin supporters staying...........
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 03, 2008, 11:21:18 PM
Yes, that an establishment would refuse to show the game, on one of their many devices, is something that should be challenged and challenged robustly. F*ck the Hilton, Gaels take note.

Not sure about this one. Surely its up to an individual premises what they want to show on their TVs. The United match did cross over a lot of the first half. I can't see how this was an assualt on his dignity unless they were particularly abusive / sectarian towards him. Sounds more like taking offence for the sake of it. Its not as though there aren't other places in the area he could have gone to watch the game.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Mourne Rover

Spot on, TAM. This gentleman must have walked past a range of bars on the Ormeau Road screening the AI final so that he could be insulted by the soccer in the Hilton. It would have been practically half time at Croke Park before the Man Utd match finished anyway, so switching over was not an option. Seeking compensation from the hotel is pretty pathetic. I can remember being in the Casement Park social club on a Saturday afternoon not so long ago when a big game from Dublin was on RTE. Most of the regulars at the bar wanted the racing on instead, and there was a fairly heated row before the GAA coverage came on belatedly. I wonder if I can get a claim in retrospectively ?

theskull1

That happens all the time up in casement MR. The lack of knowledge about our local game by the punters in that establishment is embarrassing. Bottom line is it serves cheaper beer, so I suppose your going to get that sort for that reason.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

TacadoirArdMhacha

Actually think I might get an aul claim ina aginst the Hatfield when we're at it. Went to watch the football one Sunday and they'd the Celtic match on instead. Friggin affront to my national identity so it was.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 03, 2008, 11:33:50 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 03, 2008, 11:21:18 PM

Not sure about this one. Surely its up to an individual premises what they want to show on their TVs. The United match did cross over a lot of the first half. I can't see how this was an assualt on his dignity unless they were particularly abusive / sectarian towards him. Sounds more like taking offence for the sake of it. Its not as though there aren't other places in the area he could have gone to watch the game.

It all depends. If you've a TV in the corner that no one (patently) is watching, and yet you refuse to change, you're on a sticky wicket. If that be the case, as the court will determine, let us all take due notice.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

How the hell can someone claim damages from a hotel because they refused to show a football match on their television? How were his rights infringed upon? Surely its entirely up to the discretion of the hotel owner what entertainment they provide to attract customers?

carnaross

Quote from: J70 on October 04, 2008, 04:35:21 AM
How the hell can someone claim damages from a hotel because they refused to show a football match on their television? How were his rights infringed upon? Surely its entirely up to the discretion of the hotel owner what entertainment they provide to attract customers?

Precisely, if this "gentle"man was unhappy with the hotel's decision, he should have challenged it with his feet - by simply walking out and finding a local pub. This "sue for anything" attitude pervades society today, if this ever gets to court, who's going to compensate the public for the inherent costs?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Down Gael

Compensation culture at its best. If the patron was so interested in the football why didnt he go to Dublin?

Minder

This kind of thing sickens my shite, no doubt there will be a photo of him in todays Irish News with a big sad face telling us how it was "shackin". Probably the kind of person that makes a fairly healthy living in spurious claims. Many times i have went into my local boozer at home in deepest North Antrim to see a match only to be told it wasnt being shown as "Selic" were playing and fair enough they do the boozing & the publican is only trying to fill the till but the best option is to go somewhere else. I might go down to the HIlton on Monday night and if they are not showing Coronation Street there will be hell to pay.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

While I think they should have shown the game, it being a an affront to his dignity and national identity, ah now thats a f**king joke, yer man sounds like an arse.
I wonder could I sue all the pubs Birmingham that wont show GAA, if I was half indian could I sue them for not showing the Kabbadi as well?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016