Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

In some ways, this is a bit like driving. Every time you go out and drive at 100Kmh it is intrinsically dangerous.  Yet we in these islands have one of the lowest fatality rates in the world because people wait their turn, because they check before they pull out, because they keep their distance, because they maintain their cars, because they don't drink and drive, because some roads have  been redesigned. If people could be equally disciplined in staying home when sick, in not shaking hands, in washing their hands, in keeping their distance etc then like the roads there will still be deaths, but not too many.
When I learned to drive there was 5 times the rate of road death, and I knew people killed in those years. We copped on as a society and  we need to do so in this matter also.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on March 14, 2020, 07:00:19 PM
Quote from: dec on March 14, 2020, 06:57:46 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 14, 2020, 05:53:19 PM
Whatever about what Michelle O'Neill did yesterday John O'Dowd has blown it out of the water. . . what in God's name is he hoping to achieve with a statement like that when we need politicians working together??

So badly advised I mean even the wording of the statement jesus!

Is a shire of bastards different from a shower of bastards?

Predictive text? Strange choice of word.

Maybe a play on words...the Shires of England????

Sportacus

Get my head shired - common terminology in Lurgan.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Sinn féin are just a very amateurish party. End of

Ambrose

I'm not a big fan of O'Dowd or Sinn Fein in general, but it's hard to disagree with what he is saying. The British government seem to be content to have what will amount to a cull of the elderly and the sick. For all their faults, Leo and Co. are trying to save lives here in the south.
We need a joint approach on this Island, but unionists in the north just cannot see the bigger picture.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

LeoMc

Quote from: Ambrose on March 14, 2020, 10:23:57 PM
I'm not a big fan of O'Dowd or Sinn Fein in general, but it's hard to disagree with what he is saying. The British government seem to be content to have what will amount to a cull of the elderly and the sick. For all their faults, Leo and Co. are trying to save lives here in the south.
We need a joint approach on this Island, but unionists in the north just cannot see the bigger picture.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

Ambrose

Quote from: LeoMc on March 14, 2020, 10:31:21 PM

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

Could be/within the next 20 days. They could also be dead within the next 20 days.

Or Boris's Herd Immunity might actually work and I might win an All Ireland with Down before I'm 60.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

LeoMc

Quote from: Ambrose on March 14, 2020, 10:38:49 PM

Could be/within the next 20 days. They could also be dead within the next 20 days.

Or Boris's Herd Immunity might actually work and I might win an All Ireland with Down before I'm 60.

It may work, it may not. Time will tell. They have a strategy they think will minimise the impact. Do you have a strategy or plan for winning that 6th one.

Itchy

Quote from: LeoMc on March 14, 2020, 10:49:15 PM

It may work, it may not. Time will tell. They have a strategy they think will minimise the impact. Do you have a strategy or plan for winning that 6th one.

Define work. Is say 50k dead old people and an immune remaining population to be defined as a good outcome?

BennyCake

The Brits carried out genocide in Ireland during the famine, starving the country. Now they're going to try it on their own people, and us in the north.

marty34

Fair play to O'Dowd.  Language was strong but hopefully it focuses the minds.

Schools should just uni-laterally close.

Saffrongael

Quote from: hardstation on March 14, 2020, 11:23:22 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 14, 2020, 11:05:13 PM

I understand and largely agree about closing schools but it needs to be appreciated how big a step it is and a number of ducks need put in a row first. They will close soon but it appears that it will last for a number of months. There are GCSE & A Levels to be addressed. These things determine university places etc. There will be some shitstorm to come when "our Ciara should've got into her course but they made a balls of it..." etc. Inquiry after inquiry and at the end of the day the gov will get it in the neck.
Now, is this more important than people's lives? No. Are they guessing how much time they can buy to allow them to have a look at solutions to problems such as above? Probably.

People don't seem to realise this, as if the schools are just closing for midterm. It's an unprecedented step and obviously the decision isn't being taken lightly 
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Itchy on March 14, 2020, 10:54:55 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 14, 2020, 10:49:15 PM

Define work. Is say 50k dead old people and an immune remaining population to be defined as a good outcome?
You basing your figures on a crystal ball? I'd have more faith in world leading scientists than the Shinners, Facebookers and Tweeters. We'll all know the outcome in about 6 months. If it "works" the likes of you will say the numbers were suppressed and it it's fake news and if it doesn't then the Brits will be in the shit but Boris will still have a few years to go.

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on March 14, 2020, 11:23:22 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 14, 2020, 11:05:13 PM

I understand and largely agree about closing schools but it needs to be appreciated how big a step it is and a number of ducks need put in a row first. They will close soon but it appears that it will last for a number of months. There are GCSE & A Levels to be addressed. These things determine university places etc. There will be some shitstorm to come when "our Ciara should've got into her course but they made a balls of it..." etc. Inquiry after inquiry and at the end of the day the gov will get it in the neck.
Now, is this more important than people's lives? No. Are they guessing how much time they can buy to allow them to have a look at solutions to problems such as above? Probably.

A levels classes could be excluded to some extent. Half the class coming in each day, or have a class in an assembly hall  or big space where  they can spread out a bit.  It isn' t quite  black and white.

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on March 15, 2020, 12:09:48 AM
It's not black & white by any stretch. You have suggested ideas off the cuff (like your Casement plans) and I'm not saying they're wrong but they are debatable and may not be the best approach. GCSEs need factored in too. I would hope the gov are nailing down a contingency plan.

I don't run a school nor am I responsible for Casement, I am a poster on a discussion board and so my ideas are off the cuff, someone with all the details can identify the best solution. This isn't ideal for anyone, we just have to make limit the damage.