Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Absoluely not, when you are in Britain it is right to observe the protocols. It is quite a different prospect to take an oath to the Monarch and take your seat in what is still essentially a foreign parliament.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 09, 2014, 06:54:34 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 09, 2014, 01:10:35 AM
Quote from: maximus on April 09, 2014, 01:00:02 AM
Does anybody feel it's a contradiction that Martin McGuinness stands for a toast to the queen yet Sinn Fein refuse to take their seats in Westminster. Just wondering what the general opinion is.
Raising a glass to someone and swearing an oath of allegience to them are two very different things (neither of which I'd support McGuinness doing right now).
Meh, they're both just protocol.
I'm sure you'd still be playing it down as such if it actually happened too eh?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: orangeman on April 09, 2014, 09:59:17 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 09, 2014, 09:00:11 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/norman-tebbit-i-hope-real-ira-dissidents-shoot-martin-mcguinness-for-attending-state-banquet-with-queen-at-windsor-castle-30168143.html

He would say that.
Indeed. But I'd have thought that a member of the house of lords expressing a desire for the deputy first minister to be assassinated, would make the news coverage beyond just the Belfast Telegraph. Not a peep from BBC/RTÉ etc.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

orangeman

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 09, 2014, 10:36:13 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/norman-tebbit-i-hope-real-ira-dissidents-shoot-martin-mcguinness-for-attending-state-banquet-with-queen-at-windsor-castle-30168143.html

He would say that.
Indeed. But I'd have thought that a member of the house of lords expressing a desire for the deputy first minister to be assassinated, would make the news coverage beyond just the Belfast Telegraph. Not a peep from BBC/RTÉ etc.

It depends on the state you're in. A Belfast city councillor ended up in court recently for stuff she put on Facebook similar to this. Ok she ended up with her wrists slapped but Tebitt would get more of a by ball than a DUP councillor.

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

muppet

He would say that.

Atrocious comment from Tebbit. I'd expect some negative reaction to that in any reasonable circles.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: orangeman on April 09, 2014, 10:38:21 AM

He would say that.

It depends on the state you're in. A Belfast city councillor ended up in court recently for stuff she put on Facebook similar to this. Ok she ended up with her wrists slapped but Tebitt would get more of a by ball than a DUP councillor.
Tebbit is a senior public figure advocating the assassination of one of Ireland's most senior politicians. There is just no good reason under the sun why he should get a by ball. What's RTÉ's excuse? Surely in their blanket coverage, with 'live updates' on their website, such a story should be fairly big? Why does it not even warrant a mention?

orangeman

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 09, 2014, 10:57:12 AM
Quote from: orangeman on April 09, 2014, 10:38:21 AM

He would say that.

Tebbit is a senior public figure advocating the assassination of one of Ireland's most senior politicians. There is just no good reason under the sun why he should get a by ball. What's RTÉ's excuse? Surely in their blanket coverage, with 'live updates' on their website, such a story should be fairly big? Why does it not even warrant a mention?

The press are managed. We know that better than most here.

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 09, 2014, 08:57:52 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 09, 2014, 06:54:34 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 09, 2014, 01:10:35 AM
Quote from: maximus on April 09, 2014, 01:00:02 AM
Does anybody feel it's a contradiction that Martin McGuinness stands for a toast to the queen yet Sinn Fein refuse to take their seats in Westminster. Just wondering what the general opinion is.
Raising a glass to someone and swearing an oath of allegience to them are two very different things (neither of which I'd support McGuinness doing right now).
Meh, they're both just protocol.
I'm sure you'd still be playing it down as such if it actually happened too eh?
I'd have a chuckle, same as i'm having now. But i'd be in favour of them taking their seats.

Maguire01

He would say that.
I don't know about RTÉ, but it's on BBC online and radio and on plenty of other news websites.

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 09, 2014, 08:46:38 AM
Absoluely not, when you are in Britain it is right to observe the protocols. It is quite a different prospect to take an oath to the Monarch and take your seat in what is still essentially a foreign parliament.
It's the parliament that gives the Assembly its power. And you might define it as a foreign parliament, but it still passes laws that impact on people in this country.

And you totally contradict yourself with the bit in bold.

muppet

Putting aside all previous debates here, I must acknowledge the gravity of McGuinness' participation and I commend it unconditionally.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 09, 2014, 06:46:10 PM

He would say that.
I don't know about RTÉ, but it's on BBC online and radio and on plenty of other news websites.
BBC went with it on their online news at 5:36 according to their news app. For most of the day, only the Belfast Telegraph was mentioning it. Still nothing from RTÉ.