Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2013, 10:01:02 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 26, 2013, 05:28:53 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 26, 2013, 10:42:29 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 26, 2013, 07:19:15 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 25, 2013, 11:33:29 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 25, 2013, 11:14:24 PM
Stoops are so stupid it's unreal. If they had any wit wee Alex would resign and they would go into opposition holding the moral high ground

Whatever pretence they had of being on a moral high ground, they blew it completely to the wind last month with their support for Jim Allister and his legislation which contravened the GFA, and their assistance in copper fastening a hierarchy of victims.

"The innocent victims need to be addressed, in particular the innocent victims of the Provisional IRA" (Joe Byrne, SDLP MLA, June 2013)

That's right Joe. Victims of the state are of less importance than IRA victims. Nice to hear.  >:(
I'm sure if Joe Byrne was asked the question directly he'd clarify any misunderstanding. It seems like a clumsy use of words rather than anything more sinister.
In my mind, there absolutely is a hierarchy of victims, but that's determined by who the victim is, rather than the perpetrator.

But anyway, we've been over this several times on the other thread - how about some discussion on this planning issue? I appreciate it's probably a little more uncomfortable for you.
You are wrong there, Joe's words only echo those of big Al. Anyway to the point we now have no credible Nationalist or Republican parties to vote for. The Stoops are just Stoopid, and the and what remains of the Shinners may as well join their former colleagues in FF, as the Developers Party.
No doubt you can provide the quote.
Stephen Nolan played Al over and over as he stated that there were different levels of victimhood, well rehearsed on another thread.
'Big Al' differentiated victims on the basis of who the victim is (i.e. innocent bystander or 'combatant') - which, in my mind, is perfectly reasonable, whereas Joe Byrne appeared to draw a distinction between victims on the basis of who murdered them - which, for obvious reasons makes little sense (and I'd be surprised if he wouldn't clarify his position if asked). Therefore he didn't echo the party leader.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 27, 2013, 07:25:14 PM
Stoops are so stupid it's unreal. If they had any wit wee Alex would resign and they would go into opposition holding the moral high ground

Whatever pretence they had of being on a moral high ground, they blew it completely to the wind last month with their support for Jim Allister and his legislation which contravened the GFA, and their assistance in copper fastening a hierarchy of victims.

"The innocent victims need to be addressed, in particular the innocent victims of the Provisional IRA" (Joe Byrne, SDLP MLA, June 2013)

That's right Joe. Victims of the state are of less importance than IRA victims. Nice to hear.  >:(
I'm sure if Joe Byrne was asked the question directly he'd clarify any misunderstanding. It seems like a clumsy use of words rather than anything more sinister.
In my mind, there absolutely is a hierarchy of victims, but that's determined by who the victim is, rather than the perpetrator.

But anyway, we've been over this several times on the other thread - how about some discussion on this planning issue? I appreciate it's probably a little more uncomfortable for you.
You are wrong there, Joe's words only echo those of big Al. Anyway to the point we now have no credible Nationalist or Republican parties to vote for. The Stoops are just Stoopid, and the and what remains of the Shinners may as well join their former colleagues in FF, as the Developers Party.
Stephen Nolan played Al over and over as he stated that there were different levels of victimhood, well rehearsed on another thread.
'Big Al' differentiated victims on the basis of who the victim is (i.e. innocent bystander or 'combatant') - which, in my mind, is perfectly reasonable, whereas Joe Byrne appeared to draw a distinction between victims on the basis of who murdered them - which, for obvious reasons makes little sense (and I'd be surprised if he wouldn't clarify his position if asked). Therefore he didn't echo the party leader.
Maguire it was no slip of the tongue. It's just the way people are seemingly conditioned to think about the conflict here. Only IRA victims matter because the IRA were the baddies in it all. If he didn't mean it, he would realise how insulting it is to families of collusion victims and he wouldn't have to wait until asked before "clarifying his position".
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 27, 2013, 07:43:43 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 27, 2013, 07:25:14 PM

Maguire it was no slip of the tongue. It's just the way people are seemingly conditioned to think about the conflict here. Only IRA victims matter because the IRA were the baddies in it all. If he didn't mean it, he would realise how insulting it is to families of collusion victims and he wouldn't have to wait until asked before "clarifying his position".
I'd give him the benefit of the doubt (I don't know if he has been directly challenged on it or realised how he said what he said) - I understand you wouldn't. But if he meant it, I think he's well off the mark.

armaghniac

Quote'Big Al' differentiated victims on the basis of who the victim is (i.e. innocent bystander or 'combatant') - which, in my mind, is perfectly reasonable, whereas Joe Byrne appeared to draw a distinction between victims on the basis of who murdered them - which, for obvious reasons makes little sense (and I'd be surprised if he wouldn't clarify his position if asked). Therefore he didn't echo the party leader.

All the same Byrne's contention about innocent victims of the IRA clearly has the possibility that there are other victims of the IRA. This is quite different from the Unionist position and as such I don't think it is worth all of the talk about it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LeoMc

Would SF backing of this proposal be a big 2 fingers to Danny Kennedy for his handling of the A5 upgrade?
A further application for a new A5 could be pushed through despite objections from the AA5A.

Maguire01

Quote from: LeoMc on June 29, 2013, 08:13:57 PM

Would SF backing of this proposal be a big 2 fingers to Danny Kennedy for his handling of the A5 upgrade?
A further application for a new A5 could be pushed through despite objections from the AA5A.
Totally unrelated.  It was a High Court Judge who made the decision on the A5, not planners. This move won't do anything to speed up the project.

LeoMc

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 30, 2013, 03:06:26 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 29, 2013, 08:13:57 PM

Totally unrelated.  It was a High Court Judge who made the decision on the A5, not planners. This move won't do anything to speed up the project.
Not this project in its current incarnation, but any future A5 could not be stalled by pressure groups and a lack of will from Kennedy if it was deemed to be of economic benefit.

orangeman

The Boston College tapes with Dolores Price have now been officially handed over to the cops here.

There'll be a few more denials from Gerry for a while I would imagine.

Gerry's move to Louth could be good news and bad.

Maguire01

Some of the sharpest minds in the business...

MLA sorry over Royal birth tweet

SINN Fein assembly member Phil Flanagan has been forced to apologise after sharing a sexually vulgar tweet about the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on his Twitter page.

The Fermanagh-south Tyrone MLA 'retweeted' the crude comment to his 3,600 plus followers on Monday evening before news was announced of the birth of the Royal couple's first child.

The unsavoury tweet written by user @Threepwood2012 and shared on the social-networking site by Mr Flanagan and others read: "The news says that duchess doll entered the hospital via a back entrance. If William had done the same we wouldn't have to suffer this balls."

Mr Flanagan also 'favourited' the tweet which was just one of several tweets visible on his Twitter page that poked fun at, or was critical of, the Royal family, but by far the most offensive.

Yesterday (Wednesday) the politician and father-of-two apologised saying he retweeted the tweet "in a split second error of judgement."

In a statement to The Impartial Reporter, Mr Flanagan said: "In a split second error of judgement, I misconstrued the meaning of this tweet and re-tweeted it to my followers in that context. I innocently believed that this joke was about an expectant father being spotted entering the hospital through the front door, leading to a two day media circus with no news to report."

He added: "In hindsight, I can now understand the potential double meaning that some may read into this, but this was not my intention. I apologise for any offence that this may have caused anyone."

It is not known if by retweeting the remark Mr Flanagan breached the MLA Code of Conduct which states: "Members should keep in mind that rude and offensive behaviour may lower the public's regard for, and confidence in, Members and the Assembly itself. Members should therefore show respect and consideration for others at all times."

Last year Ulster Unionist MLA Tom Elliott said he was considering reporting Mr Flanagan to the the Standards and Privileges Committee at Stormont for referring to him as a 'clampit' on Twitter. Mr Flanagan used the word [which means hill-billy] to describe Mr Elliott and UUP leader, Mike Nesbitt.

http://www.impartialreporter.com/news/roundup/articles/2013/07/25/401767-mla-sorry-over-royal-birth-tweet/

theticklemister

I think mcguinness' reaction is just as bad........' I wish to praise all the new mothers today who gave birth'; or along them lines

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 25, 2013, 08:59:48 PM

SINN Fein assembly member Phil Flanagan has been forced to apologise after sharing a sexually vulgar tweet about the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on his Twitter page.

The Fermanagh-south Tyrone MLA 'retweeted' the crude comment to his 3,600 plus followers on Monday evening before news was announced of the birth of the Royal couple's first child.

The unsavoury tweet written by user @Threepwood2012 and shared on the social-networking site by Mr Flanagan and others read: "The news says that duchess doll entered the hospital via a back entrance. If William had done the same we wouldn't have to suffer this balls."

Mr Flanagan also 'favourited' the tweet which was just one of several tweets visible on his Twitter page that poked fun at, or was critical of, the Royal family, but by far the most offensive.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

glens abu

Yesterday (Wednesday) the politician and father-of-two apologised saying he retweeted the tweet "in a split second error of judgement."

In a statement to The Impartial Reporter, Mr Flanagan said: "In a split second error of judgement, I misconstrued the meaning of this tweet and re-tweeted it to my followers in that context. I innocently believed that this joke was about an expectant father being spotted entering the hospital through the front door, leading to a two day media circus with no news to report."

He added: "In hindsight, I can now understand the potential double meaning that some may read into this, but this was not my intention. I apologise for any offence that this may have caused anyone."

It is not known if by retweeting the remark Mr Flanagan breached the MLA Code of Conduct which states: "Members should keep in mind that rude and offensive behaviour may lower the public's regard for, and confidence in, Members and the Assembly itself. Members should therefore show respect and consideration for others at all times."

Last year Ulster Unionist MLA Tom Elliott said he was considering reporting Mr Flanagan to the the Standards and Privileges Committee at Stormont for referring to him as a 'clampit' on Twitter. Mr Flanagan used the word [which means hill-billy] to describe Mr Elliott and UUP leader, Mike Nesbitt.

http://www.impartialreporter.com/news/roundup/articles/2013/07/25/401767-mla-sorry-over-royal-birth-tweet/

Not acceptable behaviour at all,and just glad the apology was made.

Rossfan

MLA Code of Conduct which states: "Members should keep in mind that rude and offensive behaviour may lower the public's regard for, and confidence in, Members and the Assembly itself. Members should therefore show respect and consideration for others at all times."

Is there any of them that hasn't broken that requirement ? ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ranch

Quote from: theticklemister on July 25, 2013, 09:06:43 PM
I think mcguinness' reaction is just as bad........' I wish to praise all the new mothers today who gave birth'; or along them lines

What's wrong with that? Hardly offensive.

qubdub

Think SF should ban flanagan from twitter. Not the first time he spouted shite on it - see to recall him calling (fivemiletown?) a black hole. Childish.