All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 24, 2017, 04:05:30 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 24, 2017, 02:03:01 PM
There is undue hate for this Dublin team, leaving aside the off the field financial advantages etc. is it just because they are currently spoiling Mayo getting over the line?
Mostly the latter i feel party poopers if you will. Should also note these Mayo players had to win back a lot of neutral love after the way they got rid of the last management. On Dublins lack of emotion maybe we would see more if their supporters we allowed on to the field to celebrate in Croke park.

Even people in Roscommon hate Dublin's unspoken advantages, and we have absolutely no interest in Mayo's magical mystery tour for a bit of tin.

It's a pity you and a few other apologists try to reduce a very serious problem down to personal dislike. As Donald Trump might say - sad!

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2017, 04:24:59 PM
There is undue hate for this Dublin team, leaving aside the off the field financial advantages etc. is it just because they are currently spoiling Mayo getting over the line?
Mostly the latter i feel party poopers if you will. Should also note these Mayo players had to win back a lot of neutral love after the way they got rid of the last management. On Dublins lack of emotion maybe we would see more if their supporters we allowed on to the field to celebrate in Croke park.

Even people in Roscommon hate Dublin's unspoken advantages, and we have absolutely no interest in Mayo's magical mystery tour for a bit of tin.

It's a pity you and a few other apologists try to reduce a very serious problem down to personal dislike. As Donald Trump might say - sad!

Syferus, you may. I don't. Mayo have won 46 Connacht titles, meaning for 46 times in their history they've been in the latter stages of the All-Ireland, mostly semi-final stage. They have a big population advantage in Connacht and also get the full pick of one of Roscommon's largest towns. The disrespect shown to Dublin by the mucksavage mafia is embarrassing. They are a great bunch of talented footballers that only come around every now and again (ask Galway or, Meath) and they deserve that respect. If sponsors made great footballers, Ballymore or Supermacs would have surely got a return on investment by now.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on September 24, 2017, 04:34:26 PM

Syferus, you may. I don't. Mayo have won 46 Connacht titles, meaning for 46 times in their history they've been in the latter stages of the All-Ireland, mostly semi-final stage. They have a big population advantage in Connacht and also get the full pick of one of Roscommon's largest towns. The disrespect shown to Dublin by the mucksavage mafia is embarrassing. They are a great bunch of talented footballers that only come around every now and again (ask Galway or, Meath) and they deserve that respect. If sponsors made great footballers, Ballymore or Supermacs would have surely got a return on investment by now.

You are in the almost microscopic minority and I'm sure you well knew that before you typed a word.

Captain Obvious

Even people in Roscommon hate Dublin’s unspoken advantages, and we have absolutely no interest in Mayo’s magical mystery tour for a bit of tin.

It’s a pity you and a few other apologists try to reduce a very serious problem down to personal dislike. As Donald Trump might say - sad!

You and Trump have plenty in common alright. Hate far too strong of  a word for a football team its only a sport at the end of the day.

Mayo4Sam14

Dublin have an increbily talented bunch of players, special group of footballers. End of.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Lar Naparka

I thought I was finished with the game and the result and the snapping and bitching that followed it but, after reading what both Tómás Ó Sé and Alan Brogan had to say on the result and especially on that Lee Keegan incident, I think it's worth repeating here.
I was very surprised at the amount of  sanctimonious horseshit that was spouted in the wake of Keegan's gamesmanship. I mean there wasn't a single player on the field who wouldn't resort to dubious tactics if he found himself in the same position as Keegan was when Rock prepared to take the free. T
Tómás had this to say:
"I see a big hullaballoo now over Lee Keegan throwing that GPS tracker unit at Rock as he lined up that last decisive free and, if I'm honest, it just makes me laugh.
People might regard that as bad sportsmanship, but those same people clearly don't understand what it's like out there in the bear-pit. Look, I accept that what he did wasn't right, but I've just no appetite for the piety flowing from some quarters now.
Put it this way, up to four Dublin forwards could have been black-carded for their behaviour while Clarke was trying to take that last kick-out. How do you ref that?
It was all desperately cynical but, while we might not like to admit it, I'd venture a suggestion that one of the reasons Sunday's game was so compelling was because of that very ruthlessness. The almost unscrupulous pursuit of victory.
I mean look at Rock after he lands that trojan score. His next act is to run and slam his opponent into the back. While he was doing that, team-mates began wrestling their direct opponents to the ground. You won't see a more cynical close to any game, anywhere, any time."

I see sweet damn all to disagree with in that.
Nobody went onto the field to provide entertainment for the masses. It's a great pity but that the inevitable consequence of the pressure for success players are put under by fans and media alike.

Alan didn't beat about the bush either.
The title of his article is:  "You do what you have to when the game is on the line."
One paragraph in particular stood out, for me at least.
" But gamesmanship, defined as the use of methods, especially in a sports contest, that are dubious or seemingly improper but not strictly illegal is common practice amongst the most successful Gaelic teams and it would be difficult to compete without understanding how to push the boundaries that a referee provides."
Personally, I don't like the amount of cynicism and gamesmanship that's to be found in the game today but there's no point in pretending otherwise. Players at this level don't set out to entertain and will go as far as the ref allows in pursuit of victory.

BTW, this is  also from Ó'Sé:
"And, by the way, the argument doing the rounds right now about Dublin GAA getting too much money, in my view, misses the point. What people should be focusing on is how they use that money so well.
Remember, Mayo probably have about a tenth of the Dubs' financial resources, yet only the tiniest of margins separate them on the field. If you ask me, it's high time other counties got their heads out of the sand and began focusing on self-help here."
I see nothing wrong with that either.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

I despise this casual acceptance in some quarters that what Keegan did was acceptable in any context, as if no one has ever been better and cannot cast stones. To people like that - grow the fúck up. Keegan deserves to be raked over the coals for it, same as Tiernan McCann was for rolling around like a baby because someone touched his hair, or Philly McMahon for going so far over the line with his sledging.

We witnessed the best player in gaelic football make a fool of himself on the biggest stage of them all and people want to make excuses for him? Laughable. Keegan should have won the game within the rules if it "matters so much" to him.

On a side note - Tomas has been a seriously poor pundit, parroting the party line like all the others. Only Brolly and O'Rourke seem to be genuinely independent in their views on the TSG panel. I think it's fair to say most here don't pay much heed to his Kerrygold brand punditry anymore, Lar.

blast05

After the last week, it feels like the Dubs have the ammunition for a siege mentality for next year. Maybe that was the plan

Il Bomber Destro

I'd say it's mostly because they are out of sight for most counties. 90% of Dublin's wins have been routine and in 2nd gear. As good as Tyrone or Kerry were in the 00s, plenty of sides would have fancied giving them their fill of it.

All the 90s champions could have been beaten. A huge gulf has emerged with this Dublin team.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 24, 2017, 10:26:52 PM
I thought I was finished with the game and the result and the snapping and bitching that followed it but, after reading what both Tómás Ó Sé and Alan Brogan had to say on the result and especially on that Lee Keegan incident, I think it's worth repeating here.
I was very surprised at the amount of  sanctimonious horseshit that was spouted in the wake of Keegan's gamesmanship. I mean there wasn't a single player on the field who wouldn't resort to dubious tactics if he found himself in the same position as Keegan was when Rock prepared to take the free. T
Tómás had this to say:
"I see a big hullaballoo now over Lee Keegan throwing that GPS tracker unit at Rock as he lined up that last decisive free and, if I'm honest, it just makes me laugh.
People might regard that as bad sportsmanship, but those same people clearly don't understand what it's like out there in the bear-pit. Look, I accept that what he did wasn't right, but I've just no appetite for the piety flowing from some quarters now.
Put it this way, up to four Dublin forwards could have been black-carded for their behaviour while Clarke was trying to take that last kick-out. How do you ref that?
It was all desperately cynical but, while we might not like to admit it, I'd venture a suggestion that one of the reasons Sunday's game was so compelling was because of that very ruthlessness. The almost unscrupulous pursuit of victory.
I mean look at Rock after he lands that trojan score. His next act is to run and slam his opponent into the back. While he was doing that, team-mates began wrestling their direct opponents to the ground. You won't see a more cynical close to any game, anywhere, any time."

I see sweet damn all to disagree with in that.
Nobody went onto the field to provide entertainment for the masses. It's a great pity but that the inevitable consequence of the pressure for success players are put under by fans and media alike.

Alan didn't beat about the bush either.
The title of his article is:  "You do what you have to when the game is on the line."
One paragraph in particular stood out, for me at least.
" But gamesmanship, defined as the use of methods, especially in a sports contest, that are dubious or seemingly improper but not strictly illegal is common practice amongst the most successful Gaelic teams and it would be difficult to compete without understanding how to push the boundaries that a referee provides."
Personally, I don't like the amount of cynicism and gamesmanship that's to be found in the game today but there's no point in pretending otherwise. Players at this level don't set out to entertain and will go as far as the ref allows in pursuit of victory.

BTW, this is  also from Ó'Sé:
"And, by the way, the argument doing the rounds right now about Dublin GAA getting too much money, in my view, misses the point. What people should be focusing on is how they use that money so well.
Remember, Mayo probably have about a tenth of the Dubs' financial resources, yet only the tiniest of margins separate them on the field. If you ask me, it's high time other counties got their heads out of the sand and began focusing on self-help here."
I see nothing wrong with that either.

Excellent post Lar, thanks for sharing. My initial reaction to the GPS thing was probably a little ott - perhaps as it was something I'd never come across before (throwing something at a freetaker). Perhaps the case should be made for banning ALL GPS trackers!

O'Sé's last piece is absolutely correct. There always has and always will be inequality in the GAA. The beauty is that the "haves" don't always win because there are intangible things (that GPS trackers can't measure) that are often the difference.

rrhf

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2017, 10:30:20 PM
I despise this casual acceptance in some quarters that what Keegan did was acceptable in any context, as if no one has ever been better and cannot cast stones. To people like that - grow the fúck up. Keegan deserves to be raked over the coals for it, same as Tiernan McCann was for rolling around like a baby because someone touched his hair, or Philly McMahon for going so far over the line with his sledging.

We witnessed the best player in gaelic football make a fool of himself on the biggest stage of them all and people want to make excuses for him? Laughable. Keegan should have won the game within the rules if it "matters so much" to him.

On a side note - Tomas has been a seriously poor pundit, parroting the party line like all the others. Only Brolly and O'Rourke seem to be genuinely independent in their views on the TSG panel. I think it's fair to say most here don't pay much heed to his Kerrygold brand punditry anymore, Lar.
Bedad, syf, you're in horrid bad humour.  ;D
I have a serious pain by now in that region where the back loses its polite name with all the tutting and moralising from those who haven't a bull's notion of what went on and goes on in this or any other game.
Irrational human nature (in everyone else of course!) has always fascinated me so I have a few questions for you, the ultimate example of same!
Just as one cannot half dig a hole or half kick someone up the arse, you either play by the Treoir Óifigiúil or not - no fudging the rules. So it logically follows that the the grade, location, teams involved don't come into the reckoning. So it's moral and ethical probity all the way, nothing you couldn't let your granny come to see.
One team is awarded a free and an opponent tries to distract the freetaker as he prepares to kick the ball. The method used to distract the kicker should be irrelevant.  But as this is going on, the freetakers team is preparing to deny possession to the defending side when the kick out is taken. This is not a spur of the moment action, it's been planned for such exigencies as a part of the normal routine. So one runs in to nab the goalie's tees to deny him a quick kickout and allow the attacking side get into position.
The kickout is taken anyway and each forward turns on his opposite number and pulls him to the ground  or drags his jersey or does whatever it takes to prevent the defender getting possession. This is pre-planned as the attacking side knows damn well that a black card at this stage of the game is is pointless. Run down the clock by fair means or fouls and frig the consequences.
I think any rational individual would agree that you and you fellow-travellers need a spell in the house for the bewildered.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

One small point though it that the kicking tee should not have been on the 13 metre line. I'd say if you could come up with a belt that they'd attach to or a means of a keeper carrying one without using his hands you could be onto a nice little earner.

Orchard park

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 25, 2017, 11:55:06 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2017, 10:30:20 PM

Bedad, syf, you're in horrid bad humour.  ;D
I have a serious pain by now in that region where the back loses its polite name with all the tutting and moralising from those who haven't a bull's notion of what went on and goes on in this or any other game.
Irrational human nature (in everyone else of course!) has always fascinated me so I have a few questions for you, the ultimate example of same!
Just as one cannot half dig a hole or half kick someone up the arse, you either play by the Treoir Óifigiúil or not - no fudging the rules. So it logically follows that the the grade, location, teams involved don't come into the reckoning. So it's moral and ethical probity all the way, nothing you couldn't let your granny come to see.
One team is awarded a free and an opponent tries to distract the freetaker as he prepares to kick the ball. The method used to distract the kicker should be irrelevant.  But as this is going on, the freetakers team is preparing to deny possession to the defending side when the kick out is taken. This is not a spur of the moment action, it's been planned for such exigencies as a part of the normal routine. So one runs in to nab the goalie's tees to deny him a quick kickout and allow the attacking side get into position.
The kickout is taken anyway and each forward turns on his opposite number and pulls him to the ground  or drags his jersey or does whatever it takes to prevent the defender getting possession. This is pre-planned as the attacking side knows damn well that a black card at this stage of the game is is pointless. Run down the clock by fair means or fouls and frig the consequences.
I think any rational individual would agree that you and you fellow-travellers need a spell in the house for the bewildered.

and the reality is that Mayo, kerry , Tyrone or anyone else would do the exact same as Dublin did in similar circumstances. its not pretty or edifying but its reality