Club AGMs

Started by The Worker, October 29, 2011, 09:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Worker

Coming into the AGM Season, how long does your clubs AGM normally last?

What sort of turnout would you be getting for it?

Farrandeelin

Regarding your second question, we don't get too many...given the amount of members that's in the club. Might increase if there's a divisive vote but that'd be it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

amallon

Between 20 and 40 would be there which is poor for a Club with around 500 members.  Last years was fairly quick, it was done in a couple of hours.  I can remember it lasting the whole afternoon other years which is probably why so few come.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

DownFanatic

Usually get 25 to 30 people attending. Lasts on average 2-3 hours.

Usual makeup is the committee from the previous year, a few Senior players, a couple of oul hands and a handful of twisters who turn up to see if there is going to be a row. Throw in a random old timer who gives his tuppence worth on how handpassing is ruining the GAA.

Quotes that crop up every year include:
'what about the counter proposals?',
'this is going to be my last year on the committee',
'that's an absolute disgrace',
'I nominate Mr X - Mr X are you willing to put your name forward? - No, Ive a young family and I just wouldnt have the time to commit to the committee although I'd like to join it in a few years when I will have more time on my hands.'
'Count those hands again!'

men in black

Do they have their own insurance to use the hall. 
Is the person here that nominated person x.   
Membership is now due for the coming season.   
Withdraw.   
Withdraw.   
Can we have the accounts handed back In.   
It was me that nominated x and would ask you to reconsider and stay on for another year.   
Not many senior players here. 

laceer

Quote from: men in black on October 29, 2011, 05:48:42 PM
Do they have their own insurance to use the hall. 
Is the person here that nominated person x.   
Membership is now due for the coming season.   
Withdraw.   
Withdraw.   
Can we have the accounts handed back In.   
It was me that nominated x and would ask you to reconsider and stay on for another year.   
Not many senior players here. 

;D :D

Stevie g 8

i hate AGM,s,people talking shite and looking for the most boring person to be the treasurer

men in black

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on October 30, 2011, 01:52:40 AM
i hate AGM,s,people talking shite and looking for the most boring person to be the treasurer

Agreed.  Not the favorite way to pass anything to to 4 hours depending on the amount
Of conflicting opinions within my own club. But a pessary evil all the same. 
The key I think is when every one is pulling in the same direction no matter who is at the helm.  That the work is shared equally and people respect others opinions.    There should not be a them and us feeling by the players. And they should understand the amount of work that is involved in running a club not to mention the cost.     
I wonder if the worker can add a poll of positions healed by the people on here.
Plus a poll on the cost of running the club.  £50k  £40k  £30k etc.       

Gold

Avoid if possible.

Do not get involved in any committee. I understand that clubs cant run without committees but they are sickening.

Unreal how people like to talk, especially those who have never played. Saying things taking 5minutes when 5 seconds will do.

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

aontroim

Take AOB off the clar for the AGM and save plenty of headaches  ;)

Milltown Row2

If you're not prepared to be on the committee then don't knock them. They are a bit like referees. The association would be finished without them. Christ we wont  always agree with them but only one way to employ your ideas or plan for the club is to join it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Zulu

Agree 100%. They can be incredibly frustrating but if you care about your club and have a clear idea of where you want it to go you can get your way If you get support and are willing to back up your talk with action. We moan about these ould fellas running things but too many fellas talk a good fight but won't back it up when it comes to it.

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

here comes 6

3/4 hours over a year isnt a long time

The Worker

Do your clubs normally hold them on a Sunday or midweek?