D Kilcullen
J Kilcullen
Heaney
BJP
O'Malley
D Brady
Nallen

Mayo4Sam

Its dire straits at the minute back there with teams looking like they can score 2,3,4 goals per game.
Personally i think one of the Kilcullens or Nallen. O'Malley is too small and moving him to corner back would release Higgins to the half backs and move gardiner to the subs.
Dont think DB has the discipline to play there, just wouldn't get away with some of the tackles he had on Donaghy last year.
Its very worrying all-in-all   :-\
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

mannix

James Kilcullen is the best bet, if he cannot win it clean he will take his mans hand off when breaking the ball.Heaney and nallen are good players but too nice, nearly apologising to the ff, i seen kilcullen and liked aggression to opponents and his courage in the tackle which is required to be a good fullback.He is no moynihan but is our best option at the moment.
I agree to some extent on brady, he would be my first choice were it going wrong for any of our better fullbacks but it would need to be an emergency.

MacDanger

Would have liked to see P Navin given more of a shot maybe.

Definitely need more agression at the back, for me Gardiner has to go - inability to defend and for all his good running, he's not agressive enough.

blast05

Kilcullen could make a fist of marking Muldoon but would be destroyed by Bradley. Has to be horses for courses. And don't think that O'Malley has suddenly become a bad player - if he is given the task to man mark he can be as good as anyone - think of the group stages league match v Donegal - Kilcullen was getting destroyed by Devenney, O'Malley took over and didn't give Devenney another touch. On the other hand Kilcullen made a very good fist of marking Cousins of Cork in the league game ...... horses for courses.

rosnarun

I think it a complete misreading of the situation to blame it all on the full back. the whole back six look poorly organised and midfield are not putting sufficent pressure on plyers coming through the half way line leaving them able to pick out the FF line at will. so without a better organised back 8 it doesnt matter who you put in ther they will look exposed.
in any case there is a huge over reaction here cavan score 3 goals one a very dodgy penalty and another meaningless consolation goal.
what we need is stability back lets playrs get used to a formation .there so i recommend no changes for saturday
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mannix

Rosnarun,
you are not seeing the fact that they still scored 3 goals, dodgy penalty and consolation goal would still count had we lost to a late goal from cavan.3 goals to a side like cavan is a big problem because kerry and tyrone have forwards that know how to take full advantage of a situation.

AbbeySider

As previously mentioned, its horses for courses. We dont seem to have an all round Full Back...

Under a high ball id have James Kilkullen. But he gets roasted marking a smaller fast FF pulling him out of position.
So David Heaney is the guy to mark the likes of Paraic Joyce and players of the same calibre.
L O Malley is another good man marker but not as good under a high ball.
Then David Brady is the only man to mark Donaughy on the big day.
He may be the cynical type but Francie Bellew always gets away with murder too.

So id say we could be looking at a few different full backs as the season progresses depending on who the opposition is.

An Gaeilgoir

I agree with the assesment that all 14 outfield players have a responsibility to defend. But i think we have two problems regarding our defence.. the first is that we have attacking wing backs who gallop up the field with every attack,then when the move breaks down it is usually 5 forwards against anything from 3 to 5 defenders and we get caught out. Last Saturday Cavan did not have the biggest forwards in the world but how many 50-50 balls did they win? Liam O Malley is a great footballer,no doubt but his size is totally against him.We need one agressive player in our full back line that before a ball is even kicked,the opposition forward is already "shitting" the encounter. For me, dispite all his faults David Brady has to be the man. Also a lot of teams would think twice about bombing in high balls on top of us if he was there,becuase be under no illusions that is all we will get on Saturday night next from Derry.They are a bit of a one trick pony in that regard.

Mayo4Sam

Ros in the last 3 championship games we've conceded 9 goals, certainly a cause for concern
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

orangeman

David Heaney is one of the very best in the business

rosnarun

QuoteRos in the last 3 championship games we've conceded 9 goals, certainly a cause for concern
Certainly but we have tried as many fullbacks in the meantime and the issue is still the same so its time to broaden the picture and look at what the problem really is and not try and lump all the blame on the full back and keep calling for his head after every game thats just shortsighted and stupid
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

intoDwest

If D Brady played full back there would not be one high ball played into him, any team worth their salt would just let it in fast and low and he would be eat for pace. You would go from a situation form where a high ball is 50/50 to a point where we would lose nearly all the ball going in. As said earlier its horses for courses. J Killcullen for the big target man and switch with heaney for a mobile Full forward.

But could you please stop going on about D brady for full back, he could have been sent off twice in the all ireland for fouling.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 11, 2007, 10:09:50 PM
Ros in the last 3 championship games we've conceded 9 goals, certainly a cause for concern

15 in the last 5 Championship games

orangeman

Surely all your ills cannot be laid at the full backs door ?

maddog

What was the name of the lad that played full back for mayo in the u21 final against Armagh? Thought he looked like a real prospect, good hands and reading of the game.