Angelo

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 15, 2021, 02:31:26 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 11:04:25 AM
Quote from: the_daddy on January 15, 2021, 10:26:54 AM
Quote from: toby47 on January 15, 2021, 10:09:01 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 15, 2021, 10:05:16 AM
How does Clifford get a nomination?

my thoughts exactly

League performances. Cork and Dublin have dominated the league for the last 10/11 years but before that the league winners got a token nomination as a matter of course and they were more than token nominations before the backdoor was introduced, players actually got All Stars based on the league.

Doesn't make sense if the likes of Paul Conroy is also getting nominated.

McCurry much more worthy of a nomination than either of those two for me.

Clifford had a howler against Cork and Conroy barely played any league and just one Championship game. McCurry was Tyrone's best player against Donegal and their best player int the league.

Galway just didn't have the games after the Sligo game was cancelled. Conroy was excellent against Mayo but Galway were gone after one game. He was probably man of the match against Dublin in the final league game. Only had the one championship match which is a pity as he really was at the top of his game in the latter half of the year. Especially coming off a double leg break.

The league game was a dead rubber.

So he effectively gets an all star nomination for one decent game in the year. How many league games did he play?

I think it's a very dubious nomination. At least with Walsh you can say ok, he had a decent league campaign if that's the criteria.

If league form is a factor then certain players can feel very hard done by to be left out.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Estimator

my thoughts exactly

League performances. Cork and Dublin have dominated the league for the last 10/11 years but before that the league winners got a token nomination as a matter of course and they were more than token nominations before the backdoor was introduced, players actually got All Stars based on the league.

Clifford had a howler against Cork and Conroy barely played any league and just one Championship game. McCurry was Tyrone's best player against Donegal and their best player int the league.

Angelo, you've some obsession with Darren McCurry..

Decided to have a look at his league and C'Ship stats* and be I'd be very worried if you think that he deserves a nomination. Yeah, he scored his fair share of frees, but we know from your opinion on C O'C, that's just stat padding. 

Three times he was held scoreless from play in the NFL, he totalled 1-5 from play in 7 games.

In the C'Ship he was taken off after 50mins. In fairness, it was a surprise that he was taken off given the fact that he'd scored twice from play for the first time since the opening round of the league.

Div 1 - NFL
1-6 (total) v Meath 1-2 (from play)
0-3 v Monaghan 0-0
0-6 v Kerry 0-1
0-7 v Galway 0-1
0-1 v Dublin 0-0
1-1 v Donegal 0-0
0-4 v Mayo 0-1

Total: 2-28
Play: 1-05
Deadball: 1-23

C'ship
0-3 v Donegal 0-2

*You might want to check these in case I made a mistake somewhere.

I also have Conroy scoring more from play in less games in league as well as scoring more from play in their one C'Ship game.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Angelo

Quote from: Estimator on January 15, 2021, 02:57:22 PM

my thoughts exactly

Decided to have a look at his league and C'Ship stats* and be I'd be very worried if you think that he deserves a nomination. Yeah, he scored his fair share of frees, but we know from your opinion on C O'C, that's just stat padding. 

Three times he was held scoreless from play in the NFL, he totalled 1-5 from play in 7 games.

In the C'Ship he was taken off after 50mins. In fairness, it was a surprise that he was taken off given the fact that he'd scored twice from play for the first time since the opening round of the league.

Div 1 - NFL
0-3 v Monaghan 0-0
0-6 v Kerry 0-1
0-7 v Galway 0-1
0-1 v Dublin 0-0
1-1 v Donegal 0-0
0-4 v Mayo 0-1

C'ship
0-3 v Donegal 0-2

I also have Conroy scoring more from play in less games in league as well as scoring more from play in their one C'Ship game.

McCurry played as a roving half forward this season, clear you didn't watch many Tyrone games. He was MOTM against Kerry and our best player against Donegal.

How much did Conroy score from play in the league games? His only league game I recall was a dead rubber against a Dublin B team and coming on as a sub against a 13 man Tyrone side.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 03:01:57 PM

my thoughts exactly

Div 1 - NFL
0-3 v Monaghan 0-0
0-6 v Kerry 0-1
0-7 v Galway 0-1
0-1 v Dublin 0-0
1-1 v Donegal 0-0
0-4 v Mayo 0-1

C'ship
0-3 v Donegal 0-2

McCurry played as a roving half forward this season, clear you didn't watch many Tyrone games. He was MOTM against Kerry and our best player against Donegal.

How much did Conroy score from play in the league games? His only league game I recall was a dead rubber against a Dublin B team and coming on as a sub against a 13 man Tyrone side.

Here's that Dublin B team he played...

DUBLIN: Stephen Cluxton; Cian Murphy, David Byrne, Michael Fitzsimons; Eoin Murchan, John Small, Robbie McDaid; Brian Fenton, James McCarthy; Brian Howard, Ciaran Kilkenny, Eric Lowndes; Paddy Small, Con O'Callaghan, Dean Rock.

Angelo

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 15, 2021, 03:45:21 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 03:01:57 PM

my thoughts exactly

Div 1 - NFL
0-3 v Monaghan 0-0
0-6 v Kerry 0-1
0-7 v Galway 0-1
0-1 v Dublin 0-0
1-1 v Donegal 0-0
0-4 v Mayo 0-1

C'ship
0-3 v Donegal 0-2

Here's that Dublin B team he played...

DUBLIN: Stephen Cluxton; Cian Murphy, David Byrne, Michael Fitzsimons; Eoin Murchan, John Small, Robbie McDaid; Brian Fenton, James McCarthy; Brian Howard, Ciaran Kilkenny, Eric Lowndes; Paddy Small, Con O'Callaghan, Dean Rock.

A dead rubber game, absolutely nothing to play for either side

greatpoint

The hyping of Clifford never ceases, regardless of his performance level.

thewobbler

I'd just give it to the Dublin team. Howard for whoever he came in for.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2021, 06:52:21 PM
I'd just give it to the Dublin team. Howard for whoever he came in for.

Provincial finalists/winners nominations for sure, those teams dumped out before that shouldn't get a look in, Tipp will get one seeing the year it was and the history behind it.

But Dublin should get 9/10,  Tipp and Cavan one each, leaving Mayo with 3/4
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Crete Boom

Leaving aside all the other arguments surrounding Dublin, would it really be too far to give them the full 15 all stars based on their champioship performances or maybe 14 out 15 all stars?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Crete Boom on January 15, 2021, 07:15:02 PM
Leaving aside all the other arguments surrounding Dublin, would it really be too far to give them the full 15 all stars based on their champioship performances or maybe 14 out 15 all stars?
That's a reasonable suggestion but I don't think you could follows it thorough, based on this year's final. IN some cases, who'd get the award, the main who started or the sub who replaced him?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Captain Obvious

8 or 9 for Dublin. 3 or 4 for Mayo. 2 for Cavan and 1 for Tipperary I'd say.

RedHand88

Quote from: greatpoint on January 15, 2021, 06:25:16 PM

Did you not see his fantastic wide against Cork where he almost scored a goal?

greatpoint

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 16, 2021, 11:00:58 AM
Quote from: greatpoint on January 15, 2021, 06:25:16 PM

Did you not see his fantastic wide against Cork where he almost scored a goal?

Kerry have pretty much fallen off the edge of a cliff in terms of their All-Ireland winning tradition the past decade. The dissonance around that drives the hype a bit I'm sure.

Itchy

Cavan get 12 out of 15 of the Irish News Ulster All Stars last night with Thomas Galligan named player of the year. Now as delighted as I am to see such a return I think 12 is a bit over the top. But sure I suppose manys a year we got nothing so you have to take it.

imtommygunn

Yeah agreed. Every game they had was tight so it wasn't like every player was overly dominant. 6 or 7 maybe would maybe have been about right.