Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Pablo Escobar on November 18, 2017, 12:00:06 PM
Some other points I'd include if I was creating these regional teams.

Regions appoint managers and committees with the help of the county board. Thus creating their own regional boards.
This should be done earlier  rather than later allowing managers of the regions to finalise their panels of 30 by watching club league games.
Regions will decide on colours of Jersey, crests etc.
They don't play league football/hurling and should only commence training 6-8 weeks  before the championship begins.
. The two regions should always meet in the first round of the championship. Then continuing in the winner/loser format.
If a region wins the football/hurling championship the last remaining senior club team shall represent Laois in Leinster. If two are knocked out at the same stage a playoff will ensue to decide who represents Laois.
Regional teams can not be relegated.
The composition of the regions will change due to promotions and relegations from senior.
Underage teams not playing A football/hurling in the defined region will also come together to play A grade football/hurling.
Regional championships Senior/Intermediate/junior (with internal promotions and relegations) possibly played in the pre season (Before league) Jan- March.

I firmly believe that these changes will greatly benefit Laois hurling and football.

Agree with all your points bar this one,

For player development its better to keep Juveniles/Under age up to and including Minor with their clubs rather than having a regional team comprising 7/8 teams and a squad of 25 max.

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: clonadmad on November 20, 2017, 11:52:11 AM

Regions appoint managers and committees with the help of the county board. Thus creating their own regional boards.
This should be done earlier  rather than later allowing managers of the regions to finalise their panels of 30 by watching club league games.
They don't play league football/hurling and should only commence training 6-8 weeks  before the championship begins.
. The two regions should always meet in the first round of the championship. Then continuing in the winner/loser format.
If a region wins the football/hurling championship the last remaining senior club team shall represent Laois in Leinster. If two are knocked out at the same stage a playoff will ensue to decide who represents Laois.
The composition of the regions will change due to promotions and relegations from senior.
Underage teams not playing A football/hurling in the defined region will also come together to play A grade football/hurling.
Regional championships Senior/Intermediate/junior (with internal promotions and relegations) possibly played in the pre season (Before league) Jan- March.

I firmly believe that these changes will greatly benefit Laois hurling and football.

For player development its better to keep Juveniles/Under age up to and including Minor with their clubs rather than having a regional team comprising 7/8 teams and a squad of 25 max.

It would still allow all underage amalgamations and clubs to still exist Na Fianna Og etc. However if these sides are playing in the "B" grade they could join up with other clubs in the region who are  not playing "A" to play "A" grade hurling/football. For example this year in the Under 21 football championship the East Laois team for example would have seen Na Fianna Og, Ballylinan, Park Ratheniska and the Heath join up. The clubs/amalgamations will still play in the "B" competition.

This in my opinion would enhance player development as the "elite" players in the clubs playing below the "A" grade would be getting exposure to a higher level of football/hurling .

However as was said before I can not see the clubs or the county board even contemplating such an idea which is a shame

clonadmad

Quote from: Pablo Escobar on November 20, 2017, 05:35:04 PM

It would still allow all underage amalgamations and clubs to still exist Na Fianna Og etc. However if these sides are playing in the "B" grade they could join up with other clubs in the region who are  not playing "A" to play "A" grade hurling/football. For example this year in the Under 21 football championship the East Laois team for example would have seen Na Fianna Og, Ballylinan, Park Ratheniska and the Heath join up. The clubs/amalgamations will still play in the "B" competition.

This in my opinion would enhance player development as the "elite" players in the clubs playing below the "A" grade would be getting exposure to a higher level of football/hurling .

However as was said before I can not see the clubs or the county board even contemplating such an idea which is a shame

that's doable and welcome at u21 level

From minor down,there's nothing to stop teams coming together and aspiring for the A,there's a few clubs at underage level,more than happy to stay in the B rather than step up to the A,this years u14 football championship being a prime example with only 5 clubs taking part.

I would caution against a 5/6 team amalgamation at minor and below in terms of player burnout (you have dual u14's playing 25+ games a year atm) and the logistics,scheduling of A grade games v B grade games with their own club,training etc...

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: clonadmad on November 20, 2017, 06:50:33 PM
Quote from: Pablo Escobar on November 20, 2017, 05:35:04 PM

that's doable and welcome at u21 level

From minor down,there's nothing to stop teams coming together and aspiring for the A,there's a few clubs at underage level,more than happy to stay in the B rather than step up to the A,this years u14 football championship being a prime example with only 5 clubs taking part.

I would caution against a 5/6 team amalgamation at minor and below in terms of player burnout (you have dual u14's playing 25+ games a year atm) and the logistics,scheduling of A grade games v B grade games with their own club,training etc...

A very valid and good point.

Laoiseabu

Rumours of Timahoe lads going to play senior with Stradbally , Courtwood lads going to play senior with Emo , Mountmellick lads going to play senior with Ballyfin and Barrowhouse lads going to play with Killeen

redsetanta

It might sound like I have it in for Mountmellick but a relatively large urban club having to join with a small rural club to play senior football? Mountmellick should concentrate getting up to senior on their own merit.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on November 21, 2017, 01:07:25 PM
It might sound like I have it in for Mountmellick but a relatively large urban club having to join with a small rural club to play senior football? Mountmellick should concentrate getting up to senior on their own merit.
Ballyfin, a small rural club? Are they not a parish onto themselves?

Mountmellick should be ashamed of themselves for the situation that has developed, and Ballyfin are a testament to how a dual club should be run, but lets not get carried away here. Ballypickas are a small rural club.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Don Draper on November 21, 2017, 01:09:35 PM

Mountmellick should be ashamed of themselves for the situation that has developed, and Ballyfin are a testament to how a dual club should be run, but lets not get carried away here. Ballypickas are a small rural club.

Ballyfin deserve credit for Sure ...Mountmellick on the other hand mmmmmm

I can see this working as all the players have played with each other at juv level ...same for Timahoe stradbally barrowhouse and Joes...Can only be good to add to the quality of the senior teams!

LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on November 21, 2017, 01:12:10 PM

I can see this working as all the players have played with each other at juv level ...same for Timahoe stradbally barrowhouse and Joes...Can only be good to add to the quality of the senior teams!
I very much doubt Barrowhouse will go in with Joes  :o :o :o :o :o :o

redsetanta

My point is that the population of the Mountmellick urban area must be a lot higher than that of Ballyfin. I will omit the 'small' part of rural club.

Barrowhouse are now playing underage with Arles so I would think the Josephs arrangements of the past are just that past tense.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on November 21, 2017, 01:51:34 PM
My point is that the population of the Mountmellick urban area must be a lot higher than that of Ballyfin. I will omit the 'small' part of rural club.

Barrowhouse are now playing underage with Arles so I would think the Josephs arrangements of the past are just that past tense.
Ballyfin are a large Parish, with no other clubs involved if I am reading it correct? Mountmellick is a town with two clubs working out of it, not to mention the likes of Kilcavan and Rosenallis dipping in and out, as well as other sports also. They took their eye off the ball recently on their underage to an alarming extent, but traditionally they've never been a strong force in Laois GAA. Rightly or wrongly, they've never even won a Senior in hurling or football.

redsetanta

Does it happen with Graigue or Port (we know it doesn't with Portlaoise). If anything they gain as opposed to losing players to smaller or neighbouring clubs.

Laoisguy

Quote from: Unlaoised on November 21, 2017, 01:12:10 PM

Ballyfin are a dual club and they deserve credit but is that a reflection on the quality in Laois
From what I hear Ballyfin will be stuck for numbers over coming years aswell

James finn to Dubai that will have a big impact

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 21, 2017, 12:32:55 PM
Rumours of Timahoe lads going to play senior with Stradbally , Courtwood lads going to play senior with Emo , Mountmellick lads going to play senior with Ballyfin and Barrowhouse lads going to play with Killeen

None of these sit well with me. I know if I was a player I'd rather win an intermediate championship with my club than one playing with a senior club. All clubs would be best advised to concentrate on bettering themselves than wasting their time with the gaels arrangements. The only clubs who gain anything from this are the senior clubs.

redsetanta

The only thing I would say on that is if you don't have the numbers to field a team/panel you mightn't be left with any option. Gaels teams which are only there to improve a seniors chances I wouldn't agree with. Stradbally surely have no difficulty getting 20 lads together. They were county champions lat year FFS.