Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Helix on January 24, 2017, 05:34:47 PM
See on new Laois today online media the gaels for 2017:
Hurling:
Ballinakill and Slieve Margy (Senior) No Slieve bloom so.

Good. Does anyone know why?

Clonaslee and Annanough (Senior)

Shocking. Wonder was there much debate on this?
I personally hope it fails miserably.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Downtheroad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 24, 2017, 05:43:06 PM
Hurling:

From what I hear on the grapevine Slieve bloom club  were not in favour of the Ballinakill amalgamation.   

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Downtheroad on January 24, 2017, 06:01:21 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 24, 2017, 05:43:06 PM
Hurling:

From what I hear on the grapevine Slieve bloom club  were not in favour of the Ballinakill amalgamation.

That seems very dysfunctional! How would it get as far as a proposal to the county board?!
I have since seen on Laois Today that the Clonaslee- Annanough one went to a vote. Sickening that delegates allowed it to pass through. In fairness there is nothing the County Board can do about that.

Ballyroan Abbey

Look its happened now they were screwed over a few years ago when they tried to form a team with park and courtwood so let them have their oppurtunity
Anyway i heard that from next year only gales teams with some sort of  link (juvenile, parish, etc) will be accepted from next year

Ballygowen

Just reading the above posts, and some people reacting to Slieve Bloom - Ballinakill amalgamation (before it didn't go ahead) and Clonaslee and Annanough amalgamation. Realistaclly its no worse than the Shanahoe and Ballypickass amalgamation, they have no links with each other at under age, they are not in the same parish and geographically they aren't the closest to each other! So why is it ok for them but some people are complaining about the other two? also i see Colt and Clonad have joined. Why in gods name would Colt, Clonad and Shanahoe not join together as they are all in the same parish! they must have serious issues with each other. ridiculous really.

Anyway that's just my opinion on it. maybe some of you have a different one.

clonadmad

Agree with you completely

The quicker heads are knocked together in Raheen Parish the better for hurling in the parish,hopefully our new juvenile combination will be the start of it

BallyroanAbbey

Shanahoe and Ballypickas play together underage and have done so for the past few years, this year there's an amalgamation underage of colt, shanahoe, clonad, ballypickas and trumera. As for colt, clonad and shanahoe realistically whats the difference between them having 6 teams between them and having 4 if they amalgamated, they seem to be happy enough to go solo in their areas. At the end of the day playing senior isn't the be all and end all for them. Like ive said before if some people had their way there would only be around 12 clubs in the county, in 10 years people would be looking for the likes of ballinakill/the harps join.

Amalgamations in the main are ultimately for short-term gains and over time lead to less people playing the games. At the moment ballyroan and abbeyleix are the 2 most dominant teams in underage gaa in this county. Realsitically take one of our juvenile teams, on average half wont be playing gaa by the time they hit u21 largely due to the fact that we have the numbers to not miss them, off the 8 left 4 will pick hurling over football and out of those 4 left only 2 will probably be good enough for the first team.

GAA at the end of the day is a past time, there is probably as many lads who get a kick out of representing their area as there is that are ultra competitive and probably just as many who go for the craic.

Basically i feel that you will get a short term boost in standard from amalgamations but long term numbers will dwindle thus resulting in standards slipping again

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Ballygowen on January 24, 2017, 09:07:14 PM
Just reading the above posts, and some people reacting to Slieve Bloom - Ballinakill amalgamation (before it didn't go ahead) and Clonaslee and Annanough amalgamation. Realistaclly its no worse than the Shanahoe and Ballypickass amalgamation, they have no links with each other at under age, they are not in the same parish and geographically they aren't the closest to each other! So why is it ok for them but some people are complaining about the other two? also i see Colt and Clonad have joined. Why in gods name would Colt, Clonad and Shanahoe not join together as they are all in the same parish! they must have serious issues with each other. ridiculous really.

Anyway that's just my opinion on it. maybe some of you have a different one.

There is a difference, in fairness. As mentioned above, they play together at certain underage grades.
Also the following are the distances involved;

Shanahoe GAA- Ballypickas GAA 9.5km
Ballinakill GAA- Slieve Bloom GAA 23km
Clonaslee GAA- Annanough GAA 35km

So first of all Shanahoe and Ballypickas have an underage history, while the others are the opposite. Annanough and Slieve Bloom both have well established juvenile relationships with others.
Secondly in terms of geography there is a big difference. Shanahoe and Ballypickas are both on the outskirts of Abbeyleix town. The other two have no connection at all.

Ballygowen

Fair enough, valid points above. It just seems strange that 2 of the 3 clubs within the same parish amalgamate with each and the other team in the same parish amalgamate with a team outside their parish.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Ballygowen on January 25, 2017, 12:07:11 AM
Fair enough, valid points above. It just seems strange that 2 of the 3 clubs within the same parish amalgamate with each and the other team in the same parish amalgamate with a team outside their parish.

Ye I'd have to say that I thought Shanahoe and Colt had built up sufficient links over the last number of years and that they would be the ones to join.
Perhaps the fact that they are both at the same level contributed to the lack of willingness. Who "joins" who and what is called etc!

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 25, 2017, 12:33:48 AM
Quote from: Ballygowen on January 25, 2017, 12:07:11 AM

Ye I'd have to say that I thought Shanahoe and Colt had built up sufficient links over the last number of years and that they would be the ones to join.
Perhaps the fact that they are both at the same level contributed to the lack of willingness. Who "joins" who and what is called etc!
Familiarity can breed contempt.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Pablo Escobar

I see that Arles/Killeen, Arles /Kilcruise and Barrowhouse have joined forces at underage level up to under 21. A very interesting development.

The Monument Road

Quote from: Pablo Escobar on February 01, 2017, 03:49:25 PM
I see that Arles/Killeen, Arles /Kilcruise and Barrowhouse have joined forces at underage level up to under 21. A very interesting development.
Its the first step in the re-establishment of the old Arles Club(about time) but I cannot see how they will field teams in all age groups. Maybe up to u14 but where will they get their minor and u21 players from. I also hear that an objection from the Ballylinan/Gleanmore set up is on the cards as this was one of the conditions set out by Croke Park during the Arles split to ensure under age players in the parish were catered for. I also hear that some B/house players do not want to play with this new set up and want to play with St Josephs.  A very very interesting time ahead I think.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: The Monument Road on February 01, 2017, 06:37:43 PM
Quote from: Pablo Escobar on February 01, 2017, 03:49:25 PM
Its the first step in the re-establishment of the old Arles Club(about time) but I cannot see how they will field teams in all age groups. Maybe up to u14 but where will they get their minor and u21 players from. I also hear that an objection from the Ballylinan/Gleanmore set up is on the cards as this was one of the conditions set out by Croke Park during the Arles split to ensure under age players in the parish were catered for. I also hear that some B/house players do not want to play with this new set up and want to play with St Josephs.  A very very interesting time ahead I think.

Does that mean that as it currently stands both Ballylinan and St Josephs would be left on their own at juvenile level?