The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

attheraces

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 16, 2011, 04:26:15 PM
Ah lads, ten times the horse Yeats was?

He did that fairly well but it was a shockingly poor renewal of the Gold Cup and it was a messy stop start sort of race which undoubtedly helped him given that he had the speed to win a Tatts Gold Cup at the Curragh over a mile and a quarter. Had he been chasing a proper stayer turning in like Rite Of Passage, it might have been a different story. When he's won another three Gold Cups, then we can compare him to Yeats!

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 16, 2011, 04:20:27 PM
Lads, ye have turned this into the best thread on the board.  Duz anyone know the link to a site I was registered with before but for the life of me I cant find it again, you could enter the name of the horse and when it would be running you would get a reminder?

Try the horse tracker on irishracing.com Bud.

I have seen Fame and Glory quite a few times in the flesh and I must say he is a firm favourite of mine, I've followed him since 2009 when Sea The Stars beat him at Epsom, and the bugger also let me down at the Curragh last year, he was 2/5 I had a fortune on him, I probably lost a lot of men a lot of money that day I was bigging him up that much. But he oozes class and any time I have seen him I have been mostly impressed and today was impressive even if the opposition wasn't top class.

I did get a bit carried away ten times the horse is a bit of a ludicrous statement but I am probably a bit bias as I am a fan of him. Obviously when you are comparing accolades Yeats is going to win but I was comparing them more in term's of ability and class and I think Fame and Glory wins hands down.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Chief Whip

Donnelly Tazahum beat your fancy from yesterday, Fury, in his last outing, what do u think of Tazahum's chances in the next one?

boojangles

Quote from: attheraces on June 16, 2011, 04:08:56 PM
If there was ever a lottery in horse racing the 4.25 is probably that. Honey of a Kitten is a good price on betfair, Sagramor would be the pick if I was pushed.

Wins at 8-1. As Bud says its becoming one of the best threads to follow. Lets keep it that way.
P.S.... Does anybody get Paddy Powers daily email where he tips a horse? They have been sending them out the last 6 or 7 weeks and they have a very good success rate. My brother gets them and he said the last 6 have won.

charlieTully

Don Johnson

www.easyodds.co.uk

They do the horse alert thing as well, they send me an email every morning one of my horses are running with a short write up of its form plus whatever comments you have about the horse yourself.

Sends the weekend runners on Friday evening about 6pm.

winsamsoon

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on June 16, 2011, 02:41:59 PM
Any thoughts on Murtagh missing Ascot today for Leop tonight. He's got a good shout in every race!

off to a flyer lad Rubinna 6/1 beating an odds on fav
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Candyman

Spirit was 6mins too late for the race!!! ;-)

winsamsoon

Typical i missed it too ffs
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: attheraces on June 16, 2011, 04:41:44 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 16, 2011, 04:26:15 PM
Ah lads, ten times the horse Yeats was?

He did that fairly well but it was a shockingly poor renewal of the Gold Cup and it was a messy stop start sort of race which undoubtedly helped him given that he had the speed to win a Tatts Gold Cup at the Curragh over a mile and a quarter. Had he been chasing a proper stayer turning in like Rite Of Passage, it might have been a different story. When he's won another three Gold Cups, then we can compare him to Yeats!

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 16, 2011, 04:20:27 PM
Lads, ye have turned this into the best thread on the board.  Duz anyone know the link to a site I was registered with before but for the life of me I cant find it again, you could enter the name of the horse and when it would be running you would get a reminder?

Try the horse tracker on irishracing.com Bud.

I have seen Fame and Glory quite a few times in the flesh and I must say he is a firm favourite of mine, I've followed him since 2009 when Sea The Stars beat him at Epsom, and the bugger also let me down at the Curragh last year, he was 2/5 I had a fortune on him, I probably lost a lot of men a lot of money that day I was bigging him up that much. But he oozes class and any time I have seen him I have been mostly impressed and today was impressive even if the opposition wasn't top class.

I did get a bit carried away ten times the horse is a bit of a ludicrous statement but I am probably a bit bias as I am a fan of him. Obviously when you are comparing accolades Yeats is going to win but I was comparing them more in term's of ability and class and I think Fame and Glory wins hands down.

I woudn't read too much into F&G's form with Sea The Stars. The formbook might say that there was only a few lengths between them but in truth, Sea The Stars was stones ahead of him. Sea The Stars was the flat equivalent of Moscow Flyer. He only ever did enough and kept plenty up his sleeve. I don't think we ever saw him come out of third gear. We might not see another horse like him for decades.

Yeats wasn't short of class either. He would have won an Epsom Derby but for injury - he was always rated far superior to Oratorio who beat Motivator twice in the summer of 2005. He also won a Coronation Cup over a mile and a half like F&G. To then have the longevity to win a fourth Gold Cup at the age of 8 was remarkable. Bear in mind that Yeats was by the mighty Sadlers Wells whose progeny, dare I say, would be easier to keep sound than a Montjeu like F&G.

I don't understand why they're going to aim him at the Arc now. He wasn't good enough to win a mediocre Arc last year and it's likely to be a stronger renewal this time round. Stayers have run well in it in the past (Westerner being the obvious example) but he's not going to do better than a place IMO. I think he'd have a right chance in a Melbourne Cup because he seems to have the combination of gears and stamina that's needed down under.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

attheraces

Don't get me wrong, the ability to win four gold cups in succession is truly remarkable, and there was even talk of him going for a fifth at the time if I remember correctly which would have been even more crazy!

What would you recommend F&G do, the St Leger and then the Melbourne Cup?

It's very much going to be a stronger Arc this year, the likes of Pour Moi and So You Think are all in the frame to run along with Workforce, could be a clash of a number of my favourites running. Will St Nicholas Abbey head for the Arc to? I was still really impressed with So You Think this week, he is a bit of a monster and by the sounds of O'Brien he will be in much better shape for his next big outing. The way he ate up the field was pretty devstating, do you think it really is a lack of stamina or he simply isn't good enough? I was reading today supposedly the pacemaker, Jan Vermeer took too long to take up the running and it messed up the tactics to, but I suppose that's more excuses. I am tempted to maybe have an ante-post flutter on him because he did impress me. Would you recommend it no?

bridge fan

have heard that ryan moore said so you think gave a good blow after the race so ud have to believe what o brian said  about having him undercooked

attheraces

There has been wide rumours now that So You Think is the best horse that has been at the Ballydoyle complex since Alleged and feelings like that cannot be made from the horse's reputation alone, though he will have to start proving himself against tougher opposition because to be honest two Cox plates does not neccesariyl mean he will come up and dominate the European scene.

I would imagine his workload will be increased immediately to bring the horse's level of stamina up. I would imagine the next test will be at Sandown which will determine his chances of running in the Arc.

Candyman

I would imagine AOB and all at Ballydoyle need a good fcukin kick in the balls!!! "Maybe we hadn't done enough work with him to get his stamina up" or words to that effect??? WTF? Thanks for telling us beforehand... Cost me a fortune!! :-/

Donnellys Hollow

So You Think's lofty reputation is primarily down to Coolmore/Ballydoyle pr and spin. The horse is good but he had no form whatsoever that justified his odds the other day. O'Brien comes out with this ráiméis (best he's trained etc.) on an annual basis - One Cool Cat, Steinbeck, Pescatorio, Malibu Bay, US Ranger, the list of flops is endless. The nature of the Coolmore operation is such that O'Brien will always talk every horse up but he'll also have a ready made excuse when a high profile one is beaten.

For all that Moore rode a bad race on SYT, if the horse was truly top class he still should have won. He got beat by Rewilding who was stuffed in the Ledger of all races! He's clearly a useful animal and may yet win further decent races but he wouldn't hold a candle to some of the Ballydoyle horses of yesteryear - Giants Causeway, Galileo, High Chaparral, Dylan Thomas.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Sea The Stars

I still think So You Think is a beast of a horse. You don't win two Cox Plates like he did, and not be a bit special. At the end of the day, horses are like humans, both have off-days. Wednesday was one such day for So You Think. Although credit to Rewilding who clearly has improved a lot in Dubai. My suspicion is that So You Think will come back for the Irish Champion and then be trained for the Breeders Cup Classic. With all the top USA older horses retired, and no outstanding 3yo, he'll take a lot of beating in that.

I was also very surprised to hear them talk of Fame And Glory as an Arc horse. They have plenty of 1m 4f options in the yard with St. Nicholas Abbey, Await the Dawn and whatever wins the Irish Derby. F&G might run in the Niel, and if he gets beat, they will probably switch to the Prix Du Cadran and the Prix Royal-Oak.

I must say three APOB horses who've disappointed me so far are Jan Vermeer, Viscount Nelson and Cape Blanco. Certainly after the World Cup run, I'd have expected Cape Blanco to pick up a Group One. Jan Vermeer went off favourite for the Epsom Derby and is now being used as a pacemaker. And Viscount Nelson is probably the best-bred horse in Ireland and was beaten out of sight in USA last week.