The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Alright i cant see miss work of art getting beat!Ill sit it out

Candyman

I'd the fav done in an accum before I got word for the other anyway :-)

boojangles

3rd at 9-1. Ran a great race. Got 11s. Fair play Candyman.

Candyman

Took 14's myself so happy enough... Now for Geraldines lass 2nite

beer baron

Great e/w bet Candyman,pity i didn't listen

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: 118cmal on May 13, 2011, 10:24:23 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 12, 2011, 11:52:40 PM
Having tried (and failed miserably!) to be an amateur jumps jockey, I have to say my preference is for the National Hunt.

I personally find punting on the winter game is easier but there'll be many better judges than me who will disagree. Although the 8+ obstacles that a horse has to jump in a NH race might make it somewhat harder to predict, there are many if not more variables on the flat. Draw biases at certain tracks are a major variable and I think issues like pace and ground have more of an impact on the flat. I also think jockeyship is more important on the flat. NH race are generally run over longer distances, on bigger tracks, and have less runners so the fields tend to become more strung out. It is much easier for a horse (well a jockey...) to encounter traffic problems on the flat as a result.

You also have to factor in the horses themselves. Geldings running over jumps tend to be older and more relaxed than colts running on the flat, who naturally enough have other things on their minds! They are less highly strung and are much more likely to hold their form for longer.

I have worked for a handful of flat yards so I do have an interest in it (particularly the bloodstock side of it) but there's no contest between Punchestown in the middle of winter and the Curragh in high summer, as far as I'm concerned.

DH, im intrigued by this.  What I know about horse racing could be written on the back of a postage stamp, but surely it takes more 'jockeyship' to guide a horse over fences than in the flat?

I don't think it does to be honest. As long as a horse is properly schooled, any half-decent jockey should get it jumping. People read to much into a jockey 'seeing a stride'. If the horse knows his job, as the majority of them do, than he'll jump out of most riders' hands. The top jockeys will still get a similar percentage of fallers (1 in 10 I think) than the journeymen.

I think the intricacies of most flat tracks put more of an emphasis on jockeyship than the big galloping NH tracks like Punchestown and Navan. You only need to look at Chester last week to see how difficult some of those flat tracks are to ride. You'll still find lads getting into traffic problems at big wide open tracks like Newmarket, York and the Curragh. Leopardstown can be a nightmare these days on the flat since they did away with the false running rail in the straight (due to bookmaker pressure I believe). You don't get trouble in running as much in National Hunt because they are going a longer distance and usually get more strung out. I definitely think both the ground and the pace (and consequently tactics) have more of a bearing on the flat - look at how pacemakers run in all the top flat races, it's a rare to see pacemakers over obstacles.

There's also a huge difference in riding styles over jumps. Some lads can look desperately agricultural in the saddle yet they are still successful jockeys. Patrick Mullins for instance, has been Champion Amateur for a number of years now. He can look very akward in the plate but he's clearly an effective rider. Even someone like Barry Geraghty is far from what you'd call stylish, but he's an excellent tactician, has a good clock in his head and he is as strong as there is in a driving finish. You can count on one hand the jockeys on the flat that aren't easy on the eye but are successful nonetheless - Richard Hills, Fallon.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 13, 2011, 06:03:14 PMLeopardstown can be a nightmare these days on the flat since they did away with the false running rail in the straight (due to bookmaker pressure I believe).

What's the story there, DH?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hardy on May 13, 2011, 06:54:48 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 13, 2011, 06:03:14 PMLeopardstown can be a nightmare these days on the flat since they did away with the false running rail in the straight (due to bookmaker pressure I believe).

What's the story there, DH?

There was a false rail about a furlong out on the flat track at Leopardstown for a few years. It was hugely beneficial in big field handicaps and maidens where a lad who was in trouble could nip up the inside if short of room. I've heard that the bookies kicked up a bit of a stink and the course relented and got rid of it.

Over The Last

McCoy really earned his corn on jaunty Journey last night @ Aintree 8.10

Did anyone else see this ride?

Outstanding, the champion never knows when he is beaten

Candyman

I was on the other, any other Jockey wouldn't have got the winner home!! Ragin...

winsamsoon

Guts for garters 8:20 Kilbeggan
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: winsamsoon on May 14, 2011, 08:12:03 PM
Guts for garters 8:20 Kilbeggan

nice one winsamsoon - that price came in awful quick but got him at 10/3!!!  ;D

winsamsoon

got him earlier at 6/1 knew there would be late moves for it
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

beer baron

Divine rhapsody who ran credibly in the Champion bumper is down to run in a maiden hurdle at Kilarney tonight?Surely has a big chance!?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on May 16, 2011, 02:14:30 PM
Divine rhapsody who ran credibly in the Champion bumper is down to run in a maiden hurdle at Kilarney tonight?Surely has a big chance!?

Looks a nice horse but the trainer couldn't train ivy up a wall!