The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Apart from the prize-money, the Dubai card isn't the most inspiring. I don't think trainers over here pay much attention to it given the time of year that it falls. The Aussies and Yanks aren't too pushed on it either and it usually turns into a bit of a Mike De Kock and Godolphin benefit night.

Just glancing through the card and Sole Power stands out to me at a big price. A lot of people will look at his SP for the Nunthorpe and just assume it was a fluke but it is a big achievement for a 3yo to win one of those big Group 1 sprints. I'd hope he runs well for Eddie Lynam and Wayne Lordan because there's been a dearth of good Irish trained sprinters in recent years. Golden Sword would be my selection in the World Cup if I was pushed. He looks a different horse now that they hold him up for a late run - makes a welcome change from the days when his only function seemed to be to provide an end to end gallop for Sea The Stars.

I'd have more interest in the Leopardstown card tomorrow as a pointer to the flat season. The opening maiden and the 1000 Guineas trial should both throw up a good filly for the season ahead. The 2000 trial is only a small field and it is disappointing that Roderic O'Connor doesn't run but there are still three very interesting colts in the form of Dunboyne Express, Exodus and Cocozza. I was impressed with the latter when he won his maiden down at Mallow last Autumn.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Sea The Stars

I agree DH - the time of year isn't great for the Europeans who's flat season is only getting going by June, with the exception of the Classic generation. Same for the horses Stateside, all roads lead to Kentucky right now, but anything that runs well in the BC Classic tends to target the World Cup. The Aussies like their sprinting round now and while their Group Ones might struggle to match the prize-money of the Golden Shaheen and the Al Quoz Sprint, a Lightning Stakes or Newmarket Handicap rate higher on a horse's CV.

Hence, your just left with the UAE itself and the Japanese, with the odd Hong Kong runner. And De Kock and Brown represent South Africa. Which probably isn't the vision that the Sheikh had for this night, when he initiated it back in 1996.

Roderic O'Connor looks like being one APOB's star 3yos this season but just how good his 2yos were last year remains open to debate. After that, I'd know little about the runners in the Trials - I tend to just let a pecking order establish itself between now and Newmarket, and then watch re-runs of the horses who have won the trials. Find it hard to immerse myself in the form so early in the season.

TacadoirArdMhacha

The very definition of an old stager racing at Downpatrick tomorrow. 2006 Champion Chaser takes on 6 rivals in a 2 1/2 mile hurdle at the grand old age of 13!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

boojangles

Quote from: Sea The Stars on March 26, 2011, 10:41:33 AM
Any thoughts on today's Meydan card - world's richest race meeting featuring the world's richest race!? Or is this an an entirely jumps thread? It's live on TG4 from 1.00 to 6.00!

The Japanese runners, Buena Vista and Victoire Pisa have outstanding chances in the World Cup but have several stats to overcome. Twice Over is a worthy favourite but ran poorly in this race last year - although showed no sign of doing the same when hacking up in the latest round of the Maktoum Challenge - normally an excellent trial. And, a famous moment for Irish racing when Aidan O'Brien saddles Cape Blanco - their first ever in this race. It's a very good race this year, probably not good enough to do justice to it's title, but in previous years, there's been some shocking ones. Anyway I'll go with Victoire Pisa for the win.

The Sheema Classic is as weak a renewal I've ever seen - think Rewilding has a brilliant chance but if looking for an outsider, which I often like to do in these type of races where the standard is well below of what's normally required - look no further than the Hong Kong raider - King Dancer.

The addition of a new turf sprint race has done no good for either itself or it's Tapeta counterpart - the Golden Shaheen. I much preferred when the Al Quoz Sprint was run on Super Thursday but will go for the two favourites in both, JJ the Jet Plane and Rocket Man (outstanding international sprinter and deserves a big one).

Looking forward to the Duty Free most - where I've backed another Singaporean - Better Than Ever. Beaten once in fifteen stars, which came on very ground, and broke the mile track record and the well-renowned Kranji track on his last start. Another who has a chance is Royal Bench who flew home off a slow pace in the Hong Kong Mile in December and with more pace on here, has a chance.

I knew that Sea the Stars has a great knowledge of the Racing scene but I think we may have found our Flat racing equivalent of the one and only Donnellys Hollow. Great stuff Sir, keep it up.
Thought Cape Blanco ran a great race and his lack of race fitness was probably his undoing in the finish.

Donnellys Hollow

Walsh confirmed to ride The Midnight Club at Liverpool

;D

beer baron

Anyone know where a man could find odds for top amateur jockeys?Been told to have a few pound on Shane Foley if he's a decent price!Heard Martin Harley's joined Mick Channons yard across the sea,might be worth keeping an eye out for!

Donnellys Hollow

Muzz

Email support@paddypower.com

They will give you a price...normally anyways.

beer baron

Cheers Muzz that's the link i was looking for!Can't get the hang of the new Paddypower layout at all!  On a side note anyone else notice John Oxx had a lot of horses running yesterday(3 in 1 race) and Berry wasn't on any,has there been a falling out over the Aga Khan giving Murtagh 1st preference on all their horses seeing as they'd provide a lot of the ammunition for Oxx or am i reading too much into it?

Muzz

drici

See the Irish News have a big headline Wiqaaya shaping up for a win on the first of the horse racing pages.
They have this horse as their 'nap' for the day.
Runs in the 2-50 at Wolverhampton and is the 1st leg of the paper's 'yankee.'

boojangles

Quote from: drici on March 28, 2011, 02:23:25 PM
See the Irish News have a big headline Wiqaaya shaping up for a win on the first of the horse racing pages.
They have this horse as their 'nap' for the day.
Runs in the 2-50 at Wolverhampton and is the 1st leg of the paper's 'yankee.'

Did ya see what price it is??? To say its not a working mans price would be a big understatement!!

drici

Quote from: boojangles on March 28, 2011, 02:26:49 PM

Did ya see what price it is???

There are no non runners in the race either.
Let's hope it can hold on to give the readers a good start to the week.

orangeman

orangeman

Quote from: drici on March 28, 2011, 02:29:58 PM
Quote from: boojangles on March 28, 2011, 02:26:49 PM

Did ya see what price it is???

There are no non runners in the race either.
Let's hope it can hold on to give the readers a good start to the week.

won by a street