The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small white mayoman

Bookies count cost of four-horse gamble

Britain's bookmakers were counting the cost on Monday night after a huge gamble on four horses.

Three of the runners - Agapanthus, Savaronola and Sommersturm - were trained by Barney Curley, while Jeu De Roseau was having his first run for Chris Grant having previously been trained by Andrew Stringer.

Agapanthus scored at Brighton and Savaronola obliged at Wolverhampton, but Sommersturm failed at the latter venue. Jeu De Roseau - having his first run for 742 days - just got up at Towcester in the evening, going off at 6-4 having been available at 25-1 in the morning.

William Hill spokesman David Hood said: "There is no doubt the plotters have landed a few quid. But hats off to our trading boys who spotted these multiples very early in the morning and managed the business accordingly.

"I am being told the payouts will be seven-figures, but we have only a fraction of that. After the first two horses had won in the afternoon, we were getting the snowball effect from follow-up punters who wanted the last two in doubles, but it was SP only business by that time.

"When Sommersturm got chinned at Wolverhampton, it took the edge off and even though the last was 25-1 in the morning, at 6-4 he has done a lot less damage.

"It is impossible to gauge what has been landed, maybe seven figures, but I do know it could have been a lot worse."
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Catch the high ball

Clear Ice, Lost in Paris and Water King in a £1 each way patent.
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

haveaharp

Quote from: Catch the high ball on May 11, 2010, 03:06:47 PM
Clear Ice, Lost in Paris and Water King in a £1 each way patent.

So you put a horse in an ew patent that was 1/2 fav in a 6 horse race. Are you for real ?

Catch the high ball

It would have paid over £400! It was beat, the luck has deserted me.

Treasurer

No idea how reliable a tip this is, if at all, but jsut been told Capdalight in Killarney in 8 mins.  8/1 on PP.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Treasurer on May 11, 2010, 06:02:28 PM
No idea how reliable a tip this is, if at all, but jsut been told Capdalight in Killarney in 8 mins.  8/1 on PP.

these late tips are great for the reader when they go wrong and you have read it after the race  :o unlucky Treasurer
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Not a tip but I couldn't help noticing that Starspangledbanner has his first run for Ballydoyle at York today. He'll probably need the run because he's only just out of quarantine but this horse was a bit of a machine Down Under. Had a few quid e/w on him for the sprints at Royal Ascot so I'm looking forward to seeing him run today.

Cabaret has also been well backed in the Musidora. They must be expecting a good run because she was left in the fillies race at Naas tonight after the 24hr stage but she's running at York instead.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

armagho9

think i will do a double on

Smugglin  5.50  perth
Beidh tine anseo  perth.

both evens

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 12, 2010, 01:48:09 PM
Cabaret has also been well backed in the Musidora. They must be expecting a good run because she was left in the fillies race at Naas tonight after the 24hr stage but she's running at York instead.

Ran no race at all. Doesn't look to have trained on.

Big boost for Gile Na Gréine I'd have thought. I'd be fairly certain Gold Bubbles isn't in the same league as her.

RealSpiritof98

Todays Moneymaker selection

Spiritof Sharjar 15.10 York
Chabal            14.40 York
Mayo Abbey    14.50 Perth
Leggy Lad       14.20 Perth   

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on May 13, 2010, 10:26:29 AM
Todays Moneymaker selection

Spiritof Sharjar 15.10 York
Chabal            14.40 York
Mayo Abbey    14.50 Perth
Leggy Lad       14.20 Perth   

Got to hand it to Bolger again. He's sold the Arabs down the river with another dud.

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 26, 2010, 02:31:02 PM
Speaking of Ballydoyle horses I've been hearing very good things about an unbeaten Galileo colt called Cape Blanco. Murtagh was very impressed with how he worked at the Curragh last weekend. I'm already sitting on a 14/1 voucher on St Nicholas Abbey for Epsom but I may have an e/w saver on this lad. I wouldn't be getting too excited about any of the English colts and Godolphin are up to their old tricks already with Kingsfort already on the easy list. O'Brien would've trained the first four home in the Derby last year if it wasn't for Sea The Stars!

Happy days. Two of them running for me now!

Catch the high ball

NAP of the day
Your Groovy in the 6.20 at Gowran Park, currently 9/2.

Shrek

Got a few pound to throw away.

any good tips (horses) for today guys?

Catch the high ball

Dangerous Midge in the 2.10 at York

sammymaguire

I fancy Sunrise Safari to run a good race in the 4.20 currently 15/2 in places (word on the street says Catherineofaragon in the opener at Dundalk will win)  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!