The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomtask

Donnellys Hollow

Very predictable this Punchestown lark:

- Willie Mullins hoovers up the Grade 1s as usual.
- Enda Bolger wins the banks race.
- Forpadydeplasterer's seconditis still hasn't been cured.
- Twist Magic acts the maggot yet again.
- Zaarito jumps like he's never seen a fence before in his life.

Delighted with Blackstairmountain. Won as he liked having tanked into the race for the excellent Townend. Hard to know what happened him at Cheltenham when he ran no race.

Got the two Charles O'Brien horses placed in both of the bumpers. I thought Double Double was given a poor enough ride (ridden by his owner incidentally). He was almost coming down Naas main street he was that wide turning in. He showed a good turn of foot but I'm not sure whether I'd punt him again. I wasn't overly sold on his head carriage.

Hired Hand was off the bridle after a half mile. I don't know whether he just ran very green or he was hampered when there was a bit of a melee down the side of the track. A horse with his flat pedigree shouldn't be outpaced in a bumper like that though. He ran on really well into third from a mile back. Definitely one for the notebook. He should win a bumper somewhere in the next few months. I really liked that Spanish Treasure and I imagine Eddie Hales will have plenty of offers for him over the next few days.

The ground must have been riding a bit dead if horses like Golden Silver were acting on it so I imagine we will see Denman/Joncol/Cooldine and possibly Notre Pere take their chances tomorrow. Cooldine is bound to be popular e/w after the Mullins show today.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Mickey Linden

Excellent info as usul donelly! I'll be Reading your thoughts tomorrow again before giving away any of my hard earned!

Donnellys Hollow

I'll probably sit on my hands tomorrow and keep my profit from today for Thursday and Friday.

Tomorrow will revolve around Denman for most punters and I wouldn't be too sure about him for a number of reasons. Strictly on the book he's 19lbs clear of Joncol/Cooldine so he should hack up. I don't think the handicapper's ratings tell the full story though.

His runs in the 180s have been achieved on stiff left handed tracks like Cheltenham and Newbury with an ease in the ground. Punchestown is a galloping track but the chase course can ride very quick. The ground is just slightly on the yielding side which I don't think is ideal for him. There have to be big question marks over him right-handed as well. He ran like a goat the last time he went this way round at Kempton. His only wins right handed were egg and spoon races at Wincanton and Exeter. I'm also not convinced he's stone wall in love with the game anymore. He displayed signs of tempremant at Newbury in the AON (reluctant to jump off, bone idle in front). He ran a belter in the Gold Cup but that was/is a brutal savage race for a horse and it might just have left its mark - remember Imperial Commander at Liverpool.

What beats him?

Joncol - not sure to run because of the ground. Closely matched with Cooldine on Hennessy form. Should be a fresh horse having missed Cheltenham and is open to improvement.

Cooldine - miles behind the fav in the Gold Cup but ran way to keen. A line through Carruthers suggests that run was way below his best. Yard in cracking form today but he has to learn to settle to have any chance.

The rest - War Of Attrition will love this ground but I'm sure he'll just be out for a hunt round on his swansong. J'y Vole ran a cracker at Cheltenham going the wrong way round. She'll loves this track but the ground and the trip are concerns. Tranquil Sea is the only one that interests me e/w. Bombed out at Cheltanham but has done that before and returned to win at Punchestown. Unexposed at the trip and form with Golden Silver was franked today. Andy Mac picking up a concussion today is a negative - who'll ride him I don't know? I'll be having a small e/w investment to keep an interest.

Nothing else really jumps off the page at all tomorrow. Our bumper horses got a mauling at Cheltenham and I suspect they're a very ordinary lot. Shot From The Hip was punted off the boards but he ran with the choke out for the whole way. If Magnier settles him he'd probably be good enough. Tavern Times will have benefitted for his Cheltenham experience and he could give him most to do.

Son Amix in the 4yo hurdle is interesting with Tommy Cooper's young fella taking off the 7lbs. If he is 4/1 or bigger, I'd consider him e/w. Handicaps look very difficult. I'd predict Stewards House will be very popular in the chase.

Louth Exile

Keep the thoughts coming Donnelly "He's been on the grass More than Bob Marley"  :D love it.

Good tipping on Blackstairsmountain at 8/1 - well done.

I bet big Joe and the boys have a bit of regret about selling Kempes at the moment! When he came up to the third last with his head in his chest, with Mc Coy just looking for the gap he looked all over the winner.

Disappointed to see Sizing Europe bottom out, but he is a horse that owes me nothing from his last two outings.

I agree that tommorow is a day to keep the laimh in do foca. Watch the big race is about all I indeed to do myself, leave the money in the bookies satchel that I gave them today! When I started going to Punchestown about 12 years ago Wednesday used to be the best day! Amazing what a mess they can make of a great festival!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Donnellys Hollow

Quevega going over three miles for the first time tomorrow. Very interesting. Still 4/1 with Ladbrokes. Knocking e/w bet about the mare.

RealSpiritof98

Got word for Leggy Lad in the 4.55 in P'town, currently 33/1, told it was worth a few e/w

Donnellys Hollow

Nina replaces Andy Mac on Tranquil Sea

Donnellys Hollow

Easiest winner of the week is right. Mullins benefit.

Willie for Taoiseach.

Donnellys Hollow

Louth Exile

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 21, 2010, 04:08:39 PM
Joncol NR

He left it late enough to pull him!! He walked the track before 12

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 21, 2010, 12:26:47 PM
Quevega going over three miles for the first time tomorrow. Very interesting. Still 4/1 with Ladbrokes. Knocking e/w bet about the mare.

Having the pick of the stable Towend has opt for her also!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Donnellys Hollow

Jesus what a race!

Raging I didn't lay Denman for a place after all my talk. Was screaming old War Of Attrition home. Pity he just couldn't reach Dickie Johnson.

Mac hinery

Denman's a awful belligerent horse, what would he not be like with a drop of drink?

Donnellys Hollow

Carnage today for most punters. Glad I kept the powder dry for tomorrow when the Blackstairmountain profits will be reinvested.

Two big bets on the card for me: Quevega in the Stayers Hurdle and Captain Cee Bee in the Swordlestown.

Quevega is 4/1 with Ladbrokes, Boyles and Victor Chandler at the moment. That's a cracking e/w bet in my view and I can't see that price lasting long. Willie is carrying all before him here as usual and on the jockey bookings, she's the yard's first string. She's only a few lbs short of the top two milers and I think there's every chance she'll stay three miles. If she's ever going to get that trip it'll be on good ground. She has ran badly on quick ground before but the last two times she's won at Cheltenham it has been quickish.

Captain Cee Bee burst a blood vessel at Cheltenham which explains his poor run there. A line through Sizing Europe suggests that he would have been bang there in the finish. He has had thirty-seven days to get over those exertions and I don't think he would be running unless he was giving Eddie Harty the right vibes on the Curragh. Psycho is probably the danger but he wouldn't be within a stone of Captain Cee Bee over hurdles. If he runs his race CCB should win easily. He's best priced 7/2 at the moment and that'll do me e/w. Archie Boy (who ran well at Aintree) could go well at a big price and has place claims.

If either of those win I'll be backing Bishopsfurze in the concluding bumper. I thought he was the best of Willies going to Cheltenham and his experience there will have made a man of him. I think it's very noteworthy that he is running tomorrow rather than in the Grade 1 today - Quel Esprit won this race last year for the yard.