The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

not going great today or since last week really but 420 LIFTED SPIRITS Chepstow bumper, massive price could be worth £5 e/w
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Sandy Hill

I read a review of a new racing book the other day in, I think, the Irish Times. It has chapters about 10 flat and 10 jump jockeys and I thought I must treat myself to that. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the book or the author and can't find the newspaper it was in. Anyone any idea of the book I'm talking about? Thank you.
"Stercus accidit"

Hardy

Kings Of The Saddle - Ireland's Greatest Jockeys. It's by Brian O'Connor. I took a look at it in Eason's the other day. Tommy Carberry wasn't in it, so I left it there.

Mickey Linden

Well lads if that rain keeps up whats the chances of Down Royal going ahead at the weekend?

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Hardy on November 05, 2009, 10:20:12 AM
Kings Of The Saddle - Ireland's Greatest Jockeys. It's by Brian O'Connor. I took a look at it in Eason's the other day. Tommy Carberry wasn't in it, so I left it there.

Thanks Hardy, that's the one. I'd be quite happy that Tommy Carberry isn't in it; good jockey but a big headed git!
"Stercus accidit"

Hardy

Ah I always thought Tommy was a nice fella. One of the all-time great jump jockeys.

I had a great thrill as a young fella when the brother and I were thumbing a lift to Laytown races. A Renault 16 pulls up - Tommy driving. "Do yiz know the way to Laytown lads?". We sure do - so he gave us a lift.

Of course we asked him "any tips?". He said he didn't think anything he was riding would win, but he thought he'd be placed on Interosian, which he was, to our profit. 

boojangles

Rayeni and Whatuthink look good today.

Donnellys Hollow

Good money around for In Compliance this morning. If Dessie Hughes has this horse back to his best he could be thrown in at listed level. Its not so long ago that he was the most promising young chaser in Ireland and people were talking him up for the Gold Cup when he was with Michael O'Brien.

I'm not sure about Whatuthink today booj. McKiernan has already had a winner but this looks a very competitive beginners chase. You could make a case for Zaarito, Give It Time, Venalmar, Bob Lingo, Essex and Whatuthink.

Have the day off to study the Breeders Cup cards for tomorrow and Saturday night! Hopefully post up a few winners later.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

boojangles

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 05, 2009, 01:35:26 PM
Good money around for In Compliance this morning. If Dessie Hughes has this horse back to his best he could be thrown in at listed level. Its not so long ago that he was the most promising young chaser in Ireland and people were talking him up for the Gold Cup when he was with Michael O'Brien.

I'm not sure about Whatuthink today booj. McKiernan has already had a winner but this looks a very competitive beginners chase. You could make a case for Zaarito, Give It Time, Venalmar, Bob Lingo, Essex and Whatuthink.

Have the day off to study the Breeders Cup cards for tomorrow and Saturday night! Hopefully post up a few winners later.

Cases could be made for alot of them alright.Probably best watched but being trained by a Cavan man I will have a Fiver on him. Kinane and Oxx cleaning up I see.

sammymaguire

Been told all should win/go close

Banyan Tree 2.15 Leop
Gansey 2.30 Haydock
LAST OF THE BUNCH 420 HAYDOCK
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

Quote from: drici on November 05, 2009, 02:36:03 PM
Gansey needles his way to the front to win at 10/11x.

still down after those 2, had more on Banyan Tree than Gansey  ::) sh1te

gonna try these two at Lingfield later as well as LAST OF THE BUNCH and thats me

330 quasi congaree
400 benozzo gozzoli

gone off the boil completely at my end, time to step back  :-\  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Mickey Linden

No news on Down Royal then lads i take it?

Donnellys Hollow

Picked out a few to keep an eye for the Breeders Cup:

Friday

BC Marathon (8:35) - Have this race narrowed down to a match between Mastery and Father Time. This is not a fashionable trip for American horses and I doubt any of them would be better than Listed/G3 class over here. Muhannak won it last here but he's fairly ordinary as is the Ballydoyle horse, Man Of Iron. Mastery beat Father Time in the Leger when Father Time didn't see out the 1m6. He should have no problems staying it on one of the sharp American tracks though. I think a reverse forecast on Mastery/Father Time could get the meeting off to a flying start.

BC Juvenile Fillies Turf (9:08) - I'm going for a Ballydoyle winner in this race. Aidan trained Heart Shaped who was beaten in a photo in this race last year and I'd be confident that his filly this year, Lilly Langtry, is a much better horse than her. Better off backing her on the American tote (most UK&I bookies will let you do this).

Saturday

BC Sprint (8:10) - I think Godolphin can have a winner here in the form of Gayego. This horse had a big reputation before finishing down the field in both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes last year as a 3yo. He's been a revelation since dropping back to 6F this year though and has already proved he can handle the pro-ride surface. Has the best American rider Garrett Gomez in the saddle and is great value with our bookies at 3/1.

BC Juvenile (8:49) - Going for something of an outsider in this one, Aikenite for the top US trainer Todd Pletcher. He won his maiden easily before going on to be placed twice in Group 1 company, finishing second last time out at Keeneland. Has already shown he can handle the synthetic surface and he's too big a price with our bookies (currently 12/1 with PP).

BC Mile (9:28) - I'm a huge fan of Goldikova and hope she completes back to back wins in this race. I couldn't reccomend backing her at the current odds though. She's drawn out in the car park in stall 11 and I'd worry that Delegator might get first run on her. I can't see Zacinto being quick enough given that he seems to need every yard of a mile on our stiffer tracks.

BC Dirt Mile (10:12) - I'm amazed that Mastercraftsman is so short for this and I'm nearly inclined to lay him at his current price. Ladbrokes had him at a standout price early on in the week and they're usually fairly clued in as to the goings on at Ballydoyle. I think Aidan knows he's not good enough for the Classic and they're just taking a shot in the dark running him in the Dirt Mile. If he were to win his stud potential in North America would be huge.

BC Turf (10:57) - Conduit is going for back to back wins but its the other Stoute runner I like here; Spanish Moon. He's banned from racing in the UK after failing a stalls test and has been lightly campaigned in France. Juddmonte have a great record at the Breeders Cup and I'd say he's had this race as his target for a long time. Has the assistance of Fallon in the saddle which shouldn't hinder his chances!

BC Classic (11:45) - No Sea The Stars but should be a great race all the same. I think Rip Van Winkle could be an exceptional bet on the American tote come Saturday night. The Americans will pile into Zenyatta who will be putting her unbeaten record on the line at her home track. She's thirteen from thirteen but she's never raced against colts and I doubt her form is worth much. She'll probably go off odds on which should ensure Rip Van Winkle is a 7/1 or 8/1 shot on the night. He's the only horse to have given Sea The Stars a race in Europe so the American horses will have to be of a high standard to beat him. To put the American form into context, Gitano Hernando (a winner on the a/w at Wolverhampton) beat Mine That Bird (the Kentucky Derby winner) at Santa Anita last month. Ravens Pass and Henrythenavigator showed last year that the Classic is no longer as a race too far for European horses and I reckon if Rip Van Winkle runs up to his best than he'll win.

Bets:
Mastery/Father Time (reverse forecast) - BC Marathon
Lilly Langtry (win, place & show on the American tote) - BC Juvenile Fillies Turf
Gayego (UK&I bookies) - BC Sprint
Aikenite (UK&I bookies, PP currently a standout 12/1) - BC Juvenile
Spanish Moon (win, place & show on the American tote) - BC Turf
Rip Van Winkle (win, place & show on the American tote) - BC Classic

Off to look at the Down Royal card for tomorrow now!  ;)

sammymaguire

brilliant write up DH  ;) hopefully you'll reap the rewards
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Had a hefty old bet on In Compliance at Thurles so hopefully I'll be able to play up the winnings over the weekend. There's good stuff at Navan on Sunday so I might not be going in too heavy on the BC. Reckon Gayego is a cracking bet though. He couldn't have won easier LTO.